ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 748
I can highly recommend this park just north of Deming.
http://temperatezonervresort.com/
Very cool GSPD riding couple who sold me a Cagiva last spring. It's roomy and they seem to have your type of place, low key. Shoot me a pm if I can be of more help, I'm still in touch with them.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 827
thanks for the info

Thanks for the info , will check it out! Heading south either Wed or Thursday. We're either plum mad or just tired of cold winters. Well maybe both :-)

Very cool GSPD riding couple who sold me a Cagiva last spring. It's roomy and they seem to have your type of place, low key. Shoot me a pm if I can be of more help, I'm still in touch with them.[/QUOTE]

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
whitewater18
funhog

Oddometer: 468
Freedom...

10 years ago, some friends of mine sold everything and moved into a 36' 5th wheel pulled with a new Dodge p/u. They figured they would spend 3-5 years traveling around before having to go back to the "real world". Well its been 10 years now of discovering work-camping and the many freedoms of the gypsy lifestyle. They have changed rigs, (36' diesel pusher) gone to 1 motorcycle and travel from the east coast to the desert southwest, to the black hills, and inter-mountain region and have no intention of going back to the "real world". Met lots of cool people (and Canucks) along the way that live this lifestyle.
Did you know that you can boondock in the desert on BLM land with access to a dump station & water for $180 for 6 months? Our friends have done that several winters and have a whole group they see each year. There are several areas in sw Arizona that allow this.
Workcamper magazine can help you find jobs along the way. Our friends are currently working at a Amazon distribution center in Kentucky over the xmas season returning from an east coast tour visiting family. They can't seem to decide yet if they are going to Florida, Texas, or back to the desert sw after the Amazon stint is over. The Black Hills and the pacific nw are slated for next summer.
If the wife & I could get around to selling the house & business, we would soon join this lifestyle...

Have fun Ed!!

If you would like to get ahold of our friends, PM me. They are a wealth of information on what you're moving to, and darn nice people as well. You'll cross paths with them soon enough anyway.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #19
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

10 years RVing it?

Hello Joe,
I just found out about the BLM long term camping deal you described yesterday! I think we are headed to one of their locations to sort out the rig and see what it takes to do this longer term. Bought the toy hauler a few weeks ago winterized and am hoping the guy was up front on the water system working and being tight. So against all recommended RV logic we are taking the plunge without a test run first to make sure it all works fine.

I'm not sure I'll make the transition long term as I spent 30 years as a type A executive, and my wife is used to a certain level of amenities, but we shall give it a go and see how my wife likes it. Hope to see you guys on the Fall COlors run next year if not sooner somehow!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,441
Good luck. What a chapter in life your turning now.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
whitewater18
funhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
Hello Joe,
I just found out about the BLM long term camping deal you described yesterday! I think we are headed to one of their locations to sort out the rig and see what it takes to do this longer term. Bought the toy hauler a few weeks ago winterized and am hoping the guy was up front on the water system working and being tight. So against all recommended RV logic we are taking the plunge without a test run first to make sure it all works fine.

I'm not sure I'll make the transition long term as I spent 30 years as a type A executive, and my wife is used to a certain level of amenities, but we shall give it a go and see how my wife likes it. Hope to see you guys on the Fall COlors run next year if not sooner somehow!
Also Greywolf (Mark) lived long term in his motorhome for several years. Knows the southwest pretty well.
Keep in touch on where you are at. You might find a rig parking beside you when I need to take a brake from the snow. (if we had any)

Lets see....... "certain level of amenities".... I see a class A, luxury, diesel pusher in your future, with a stacker trailer for the toys!....
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18 View Post
Also Greywolf (Mark) lived long term in his motorhome for several years. Knows the southwest pretty well.
Keep in touch on where you are at. You might find a rig parking beside you when I need to take a brake from the snow. (if we had any)

Lets see....... "certain level of amenities".... I see a class A, luxury, diesel pusher in your future, with a stacker trailer for the toys!....
I know mark said he really enjoyed boondocking & riding in the Anza Borego in So Cal in the winter. Down around St. George, UT would also be sweet.

Me, I'd go park on Bahia Conception in Baja for the winter and kayak, fish and ride off-road everyday...and eat fish tacos.
I figured out my online job already, Butler Maps and plan on having our duplex in Steamboat 2 paid off and collecting rent at that time.

I think people make the mistake of selling out their houses and then dumping way to much into RVs & toys and then coming up short (and needing to find work) vrs getting the house paid off while putting together the RV/toy package and then having rental income to fund things on out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 10:57 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

I've wondered how spending a winter in Quartzsite would really be?
Looks pretty barren for riding down that way.

California has LTVAs too in So Cal and more interesting places to ride. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...n/camping.html

As far as finding work, I know there is also temp $ to be made as a gate guard in some of the remote oil fields. Have read about people doing that in TX in the winter. Not sure what Amazon pays but it can't be much.

Quote:
10 years ago, some friends of mine sold everything and moved into a 36' 5th wheel pulled with a new Dodge p/u. They figured they would spend 3-5 years traveling around before having to go back to the "real world". Well its been 10 years now of discovering work-camping and the many freedoms of the gypsy lifestyle. They have changed rigs, (36' diesel pusher) gone to 1 motorcycle and travel from the east coast to the desert southwest, to the black hills, and inter-mountain region and have no intention of going back to the "real world". Met lots of cool people (and Canucks) along the way that live this lifestyle.
Did you know that you can boondock in the desert on BLM land with access to a dump station & water for $180 for 6 months? Our friends have done that several winters and have a whole group they see each year. There are several areas in sw Arizona that allow this.
Workcamper magazine can help you find jobs along the way. Our friends are currently working at a Amazon distribution center in Kentucky over the xmas season returning from an east coast tour visiting family. They can't seem to decide yet if they are going to Florida, Texas, or back to the desert sw after the Amazon stint is over. The Black Hills and the pacific nw are slated for next summer.
If the wife & I could get around to selling the house & business, we would soon join this lifestyle...

Have fun Ed!!

If you would like to get ahold of our friends, PM me. They are a wealth of information on what you're moving to, and darn nice people as well. You'll cross paths with them soon enough anyway.

Joe
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 11:02 PM
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #24
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Fiscal Conservative Takes to the road

I think people make the mistake of selling out their houses and then dumping way to much into RVs & toys and then coming up short (and needing to find work) vrs getting the house paid off while putting together the RV/toy package and then having rental income to fund things on out.[/QUOTE]

Yep, people dump way too much into the rigs. We are doing it low cost, as I had the diesel truck, a new one pretty much, already. A relatively small 24' toy hauler does not break the bank and allows us to give it a whirl. THe whole diesel pusheer route is nice, but very expensive to maintain long term from what everyone I have met who owns one tells me. I guess if they can afford it , cool.

Me I like going low cost and if I end up back in corporate America, then I will afford what I can, and up to the point of what I need, not what my wildest desire might be, and not overspend like our government.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
ed

ill see you out there

myself and Cecil did the same thing

and were heading off.....

i think LaPosa LTVA (Quartzsite )is going to be our choice ( laposa has a ton of "atv"trails pm me ill send you the tracks )

well probily stay for the holiday and head out first of the year ( and back in april as i have land in South Park ...pictured above)

o ya if you find a cozy spot PM the coordinates
dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
whitewater18
funhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I've wondered how spending a winter in Quartzsite would really be?
Looks pretty barren for riding down that way.

California has LTVAs too in So Cal and more interesting places to ride. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...n/camping.html

As far as finding work, I know there is also temp $ to be made as a gate guard in some of the remote oil fields. Have read about people doing that in TX in the winter. Not sure what Amazon pays but it can't be much.
My friends Doug & Terry have spent several winters in the BLM long term areas just south of Quartzite. We have gone down twice and visited them in desert. Its cheap, kinda scenic in a different sort of way, and there is plenty of off road riding around the area. I don't think we could spend the whole winter there. We would have to move. Quartzite does have one of the largest RV shows in the country in January, tons of rigs for sale and vendors. Its worth be there to get your RV outfitted with stuff not easily found in most places. Plus great deals on new & used RVs of all types.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
whitewater18
funhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
ed

ill see you out there

myself and Cecil did the same thing

and were heading off.....

i think LaPosa LTVA (Quartzsite )is going to be our choice ( laposa has a ton of "atv"trails pm me ill send you the tracks )

well probily stay for the holiday and head out first of the year ( and back in april as i have land in South Park ...pictured above)

o ya if you find a cozy spot PM the coordinates
Nice set-up Doug! I run a HR Alumascape 33SKT pulled with a 1 ton GMC diesel. Attached to the back is a 5x8 swivel-wheel platform for carrying a bike. I can't seem to find a pic of it to post....
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
eakins
Butler Maps

oh so there is some good off-road riding down in Quartzsite. good to know.
judging by the location it seem it would get boring after a bit.
i still locations in so cal are sweeter because the area is much more mountainous and you even have the ocean to hit up.
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
My friends Doug & Terry have spent several winters in the BLM long term areas just south of Quartzite. We have gone down twice and visited them in desert. Its cheap, kinda scenic in a different sort of way, and there is plenty of off road riding around the area. I don't think we could spend the whole winter there. We would have to move. Quartzite does have one of the largest RV shows in the country in January, tons of rigs for sale and vendors. Its worth be there to get your RV outfitted with stuff not easily found in most places. Plus great deals on new & used RVs of all types.
you're not kidding. do all the mfg show up and show their models or is it just a huge used RV sale lot. what would you find here that you can not find online? worthwhile small-run homemade items for your RV? or just more crap to buy?

Butler Maps website:
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #30
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
"you're not kidding. do all the mfg show up and show their models or is it just a huge used RV sale lot. what would you find here that you can not find online? worthwhile small-run homemade items for your RV? or just more crap to buy?"

from what i hear all of the above
dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote