ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #106
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,243
latest from AMAMr. Imre F. Szauter Government Affairs Manager American Motorcyclist

Dear J:

I received an update this morning on the Bear Creek situation from AMA Board of Directors Chairman, Stan Simpson.

In his message, Mr. Simpson provided a document (dated November 26) authored by Don Riggle of the Trails Preservation Alliance (see http://coloradotpa.org) and the following comments from Mr. Riggle:
-----
Please see the attached document. It represents the TPA’s best assessment of the Bear Creek issue.

Feel free to make distribution of this to all your members and other interested motorcycle riders that enjoy riding the area.

More information will be provided as it become available.

Thanks for your support to the TPA, COHVCO and the CMTRA. We are all trying to save our diminishing riding areas.
-----

I hope this information sheds some light on what actions are being taken on the Bear Creek situation.

Best regards,

Imre

Mr. Imre F. Szauter
Government Affairs Manager
American Motorcyclist Association
13515 Yarmouth Drive
Pickerington, OH 43147-8214

see above... adam posted as i was copying and pasted hes faster than i am ( on the computer) lol

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?

jjustj screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 07:53 AM
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #107
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 630
Sounds like good news from CMTRA! Also, sounds good about how the nonmotorized trail is at least as problematic as the moto trail.

Another point...and why I came here just now...take heart...mountain bikers are under attack too. From today's Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/c...n-co-could-ban

It was on the front of the printed sports page today. Don't think we'd ever get any such lofty positioning of something like the Cap'n Jacks issue. Glad to see the Jack's issue did at least get picked up in the Gazette. Probably some writer rides a dirt bike...but didn't have all the facts.

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 01:57 PM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #108
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #109
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Sounds like good news from CMTRA! Also, sounds good about how the nonmotorized trail is at least as problematic as the moto trail.

Another point...and why I came here just now...take heart...mountain bikers are under attack too. From today's Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/c...n-co-could-ban
That looks like the NEW trail will not be open to bikes, but doesn't sound like the existing "maze of roads" would be closed or anything. I think the whole purpose was to get the hikers off of the areas that are open to bikes and motos. As much as I'd love to have some new singletrack, I'd also love to not have to deal with all the CDT through hikers that I see in that area. Most of them are friendly, but occasionally I get the stink-eye, even though that section is two-track roads.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #110
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
That looks like the NEW trail will not be open to bikes, but doesn't sound like the existing "maze of roads" would be closed or anything. I think the whole purpose was to get the hikers off of the areas that are open to bikes and motos. As much as I'd love to have some new singletrack, I'd also love to not have to deal with all the CDT through hikers that I see in that area. Most of them are friendly, but occasionally I get the stink-eye, even though that section is two-track roads.
Perhaps I've muddied stuff up....the article in the Post is about a totally different area. I brought it here just to show that mtn bikes are facing similar struggles. It would be us if we were on that trail they are talking about in the Post article.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #111
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Perhaps I've muddied stuff up....the article in the Post is about a totally different area. I brought it here just to show that mtn bikes are facing similar struggles. It would be us if we were on that trail they are talking about in the Post article.
Yes a bit off topic, I know. I know the area that the Post article is about; I ride it often.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #112
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Don't get too excited, we haven't won anything. We're in the same position that we were a week ago, but it is good to have some of the confusion cleared up.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #113
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,029
Thanks Adam (and J)

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #114
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,912
http://www.gazette.com/news/trails-1...irt-court.html

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #115
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerot View Post
Don't get too excited, we haven't won anything. We're in the same position that we were a week ago, but it is good to have some of the confusion cleared up.

Agreed
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #116
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I read that article in this morning's paper. The good news is that things are on hold. The bad news is that the "on hold" wasn't caused by it being an unfair agreement/settlement. It's on hold only because:

At issue is a provision saying if there is a dispute over the implementation of the document, neither side can be found in contempt of court. The judge ruled that provision exceeds the authority of the two sides and could lead to them not reporting violations of the court order.

Seems both parties, going way beyond their authority, granted themselves immunity from contempt of court prosecution. The obvious concern is that both parties will agree to strike this language from the settlement documents and the settlement will then be reinstated.

While I'd like to see this as good news, I see it as an, at best, one week reprieve from the foolishness of the settlement.

Hannda screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 10:38 AM Reason: Changed text color so it would be visible.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #117
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,392
Read this part again from the TPA/CMTRA/COHVCO release:
Second, the CMTRA, TPA and COHVCO are interveners in this lawsuit. This means several things. We have formal party status in the case, and can provide input to the Court on the settlement. The settlement comes as no surprise and we have been monitoring the negotiations between the USFS and CBD through our counsel, who has decades of experience in dozens of public lands recreation lawsuits and similar situations.

I take that to mean that the Forest Service can't throw up their hands and say we settle without all parties agreeing, but I could be wrong
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #118
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
U.S. District Court Judge John L. Kane rejected the settlement to ban dirt bikes from trails.

wzd1a screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 01:38 PM
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #119
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,558
How do we get that judge put in charge of Utah?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #120
COBob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
From TPA today:

Bad news

Judge Kane just signed the new order.

The only comment from the TPA is this. “we have very recently received the revised settlement and the Court’s order already approving it. We need to review those documents and determine how best to proceed.”
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote