Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
They have a Great track layout !!! today BUT I wish it was a bit longer.
Are you here??
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord View Post
Are you here??
I was saturday I live 20 min away
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Happy birthday to me Saturday started just before dawn and it was chilly! We grabbed a quick bite at the hotel and found it mobbed with both moto and softball families. There must be a tournament around.

My race didn't start until 11am so we had plenty of time to walk around.
Here's Jeremy McGrath's rig. He brought in all that sod!

The announcer was telling a sad story......A kid who just flew in from Hawaii to meet his dad here got his truck and all his gear stolen at a nearby hotel (the one John's cousin was staying at). Fortunately, his bike was already at the track but he needed size 8 boots and a small helmet.........I have both so I ran up to the announcer booth and told him if could have my boots back in time for my race he could borrow them and there seemed to be plenty of time.

It turned my helmet was way too big and he got a free helmet from a vendor and boots that fit better. He got 5th in his division. Oddly enough his dad showed up on Sunday looking if he could borrow the boots but I was on my to my own GP and wasn't able to lend him my pair:-(

But Saturday's race was approaching and I was getting in the zone. I wasn't nervous as I had zero pressure to do anything but finish. But this was now a different bike with my number plates and transponder. I took it for a quick spin and loved it. This CR250F has FI and started on the first kick. My next MX bike will have to have FI.

This is going to be my second race ever. It was supposed to be my first, (I booked this trip after getting hurt preparing for race at Walden Playboys) but I decided to race an Extreme MX event at Diamondback MX near Albany NY. I got third in my division! Out of 3 guys (Over 50 Vet) but I did get a trophy

It's a good thing I signed up for the Novice GP as it quickly sold out. At Diamondback I lined up with 2 other guys, today I was starting with 121 riders on the track (4 divisions). It was pretty sureal The first turn was a huge Taladega

We were assigned lines dozens of riders across by division and we started off this way. The GP start was unlike anything I've seen or heard of. When it's your line's turn to start, all the riders start their bikes and put their clutch hands on the helmet......When the old guy in the floppy hat, boxer shorts, shirt and tie gives you the signal, you go! I guess the Rekluse guys were getting holeshots

5Chord screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:46 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I was on the last line (of 8) and thankful. My plan was to let the young lions go, and then go as fast as I could before they lapped me. And that's pretty much the way it went.

I took it easy on the start as this was my first lap on the bike and I really didn't know how it was going to react after yesterday's debacle. The 250 I had on Friday was geared completely different than this one. This one was used to race Supercross and had it's fifth gear taken out...So John took the rear sprocket down a few teeth to even up the gearing. What a surprise when I crested the first downhill and couldn't slow down...On Friday's 250 I was coasting down in 3rd gear and still had engine braking control....On this 250 with the smaller rear sprocket I was screaming down the hill. Shifting to second didn't help but the motor screamed louder so I kept in in 3rd and used more front brake. Other than that I liked the CR250F a lot! I would consider a red bike in the future. It felt and acted a bit lighter than my Suzuki, but my RM-z felt like it has more under the hood and maybe turns a little better, but honestly I had less than an hour on the bike so I can't really be a good judge.

After the first turn I was pleasantly surprised to find a handful of riders that were slower than me! I carefully picked off 2 or 3 of them on the first lap and reeled in my last victim on the second lap just as we were overtaken by a wave of fast riders. After that I just kept my line and let the fast guys do their thing. This was more of a trail ride to me than Motocross. One lap here is almost 4 times as long as the ones on my home track. The dirt was great, plenty of traction everywhere...A brand new pair of Mx51s didn't hurt

Sadly I would be scored a DNF due to a faulty transponder. We went down to the control booth and they confirmed it. They have people writing down the numbers in the tower during the race, but apparently nobody cross-referencing the info. They said they would look into it but I doubted it. It's not like I didn't pay $60 a race! (*11/28/2012 they did change my result and I finished 110 out of 121 in all 4 divisions)

Chris had lots of drama with the supposedly fixed CR450F. He went down on his first lap in the sand section and was unable to restart his bike and had to walk it back to the pit.... About 2 miles! The electrical problem was not fixed. You can see him trying to start his bike about halfway through the first lap and me talking to him after the race in the video. Here it is in its entirety. This video is proof that I finished.

5Chord screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:49 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,250
Looks like a blast! That guy you rented from sounds sketchy at best though.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
Updates please!
You are at the holy grail of mx (except Unadilla and Southwick but still WAY cool) I dream of those hills (well not those hills but..) can't wait to hear about it!
Were you at the XMS at Diamondback this past September?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Looks like a blast! That guy you rented from sounds sketchy at best though.
You wanted to like John. He is nice easy going well mannered guy, but somehow he just didn't seem to care. Pit Girl was talking to Chris' wife about their frustrations and they had a similar experience at the gate. Chris also wanted a 450 but had yet to ride a properly working one. But he never complained once. I elected to pass on the Vet race (I totally regret it now) and my plastic was removed and Chris got back on the 250 I had just raced on with his #157 plates screwed in place.

Anyway I had a pretty good Moto-buzz going from my GP and I wandered around a bit....Here a couple vintage pics

Yes this is a Motocross sidecar rig...One of two That I saw

Here's Jeremy Mcgrath making sure his little girl stays out of trouble during her race and Troy Lee helping a downed young rider get on his way

5Chord screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 07:40 AM
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

The place was festive and busy but far from overcrowded. I wished there were more vendors.
Things I would have bought had they been available:
Boots
Gloves
Knee Brace (maybe)

Leatt was there in full force with lots of their products and staff but just a small handful other vendors were represented.

Where were
Fox
Asterix
Thor
O'Neil
Alpinestars
Shift
?
There were no factory rigs, not many food choices and While Ricky Johnson, Jeremy McGrath and Troy Lee were there, not many other moto-celebrities were in attendance. Is this event on it's way out? I don't know about last year but they were far from sold out. There were tons of acres of empty space where vendors could have set up shop and catered to the non-rider fans as well as the racers..

Another thing that struck me as odd were the number of small (under 10yrs) children driving pick-up sized Mules and side-by-sides. It is simply amazing to me that there were no major accidents as many of the kids rode through the pits faster than I ride during the race. I also saw a man who just finished the Coup De Gras 2 hour endurance race riding back to the pits in full gear with an infant under one arm. That will be etched in my mind forever.

Shortly after my race on Saturday, I started to notice Pit Girl was getting traumatized. She was having trouble completing sentences and kept mumbling about being "on the surface of the sun". It was hot and this was day 2 of 3. John's trailer was modest at best and the closest Porta-Potty was a few hundred yards away( and proper bathrooms much further). There was not a cloud in the sky, the temps were in the mid 80s and shade was scarce. By mid-day John set up a pop-up tent but to Pit-Girls horror, he positioned it over the bikes. Pit Girl and Chris' wife Stef were fuming about...well everything as they squeezed themselves into any shade they could find. At least the forcast for Sunday was supposed to be 10 degrees cooler.

We started started packing up around 4 and I headed back to the hotel very happy. ........I completed a Grand Prix at Glen Helen A Day In The Dirt on my birthday and didn't lose

We had a nice quiet birthday dinner at a nearby seafood place and went to sleep early....One more Race Day left!

5Chord screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #24
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Were you at the XMS at Diamondback this past September?
No I was not, I generally only race in the ACR series. You will have to PM me your # when your back.

Sounds like a great time bike troubles and all!
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
I was saturday I live 20 min away
I heard in the past they include parts of the off-road truck track as well......How long a lap was it last year? Pros are dipping into the high fives but most fast guys are putting down mid 6 minute laps.......My best was....A lot longer
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I heard in the past they include parts of the off-road truck track as well......How long a lap was it last year? Pros are dipping into the high fives but most fast guys are putting down mid 6 minute laps.......My best was....A lot longer
This was the first year for the Day in the Dirt to be at GH.
I ride GP'd at GH all the time and we get 8- 14 min laps.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #27
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
This was the first year for the Day in the Dirt to be at GH.
I ride GP'd at GH all the time and we get 8- 14 min laps.
Wow, more like GNCC than MX
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow, more like GNCC than MX
The Day in the dirt is a GRAND PRIX style race not a MX race

We race the MX track every weekend and it gets OLD FAST !!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Sunday morning came early but it was now almost routine and for the first time I found my way to the track from the hotel without the GPS. I was wondering what John was going to do about the bikes. My race was at 9:30am and Chris' was at 9:00am...There would be no time to switch the plastic and transponders. We elected to have breakfast at the track (BIG mistake) and it was overpriced and in-edible. There was a Denny's a mile away, Pit Girl will never let me forget that one.

As I was getting dressed in the trailer Chris came in not very happy.....His race from Saturday was not scored! John had forgotten to switch our transponders after my GP. Shortly after that Pit Girl and Stef came up to tell me the bad news about my being scored a DNF. WTF I sicked Pit Girl on them so I'm sure their ears were ringing even if they didn't do anything (*they fixed it)

There was another theft overnight and this time it was right here at Glen Helen! Apparently someone/people broke down and stole a really cool Red Bull tent....They were pissed and relentlessly asked for it to be returned over the loudspeaker....Then they threatened to search every car and truck....Then it was forgotten..

So it turned out John would put me on his son Lucas' bike. I made sure my new transponder was zip-tied tight and headed over to staging. This would be the 3rd 250 I would ride in 3 days. Fortunately, it was the best. It had the gearing of the bike I rode Friday with the solid power (and front brake) of the bike I rode on Saturday.

This is a massive radio controlled helicopter/camera....It was amazing to watch and you can see it's pics on racerxonline.com

I felt as good as I could. I didn't overeat or drink Saturday night so I was steady and relaxed on the line....Probably too relaxed. There was a poor kid next to me that was scared shitless. I hope passing me made him feel better.

The race started exactly the same as last race although I gave it bit more right wrist and got by the slowest guys in the first turn....But then I was by myself for almost 2 laps (with the exception of passing and being later passed by a downed rider or 2) This probably slowed me down as well as I had no one to chase or be pushed by. Of course, after those two solo laps I was passed by wave after wave of fast riders until I passed the checkered flag. The only memorable experience from that race was a nice size table that I completely cleared after getting enough speed by trying to keep up with a fast rider. I would finish 112 out of 116

It turned out the weather forecast was a cruel hoax. The temps were as hot or even hotter than the previous two days with even less breeze. Pit Girl wasn't doing well and was trying REALLY hard not to lose it. Thank god she had Stef to vent to or I think she'd have gone AWOL. As I was watching a race from the fence, I was chatted up by an older gentleman who was a Cobra mini-bike dealer. It turns out as I found out later, he was interested in buying John's business. This was John's last ADITD. Maybe that's why he doesn't care?

We decide to stay and help with the Moto-a-Gogo race which is (an expensive $85 per person) team race. In this GP, you and a partner trade laps for 70 minutes and a "pit" person changes the "garter" (you must wear on your wrist at all times while riding) to and from the rider-partners every lap. I elected out of this one (glad I did) and helped Stef "pit" for Chris and Andy. The challenge of this race is staying hydrated when your lap was done. An entire backpack full of water bottles were consumed by Chris and Andy.

5Chord screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:13 PM
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

After that there was just one more race.....The Coup De Gras......It's worth doing just for the cool penny! It's a two hour survival race or anything you want it to be....Just ride for two hours non-stop

Three cheers for Chris (aka The Lapper) who rode the:

Vet GP
Moto-a-Gogo
Coup De Gras

Nearly back to back

We packed it up and said our goodbye's and went back to the hotel...Just to realize we (I) forgot a bunch of stuff in the trailer.....oh well back to Glen Helen one more time Actually we met John at the Denny's right by the track.

We stopped at a wonderful restaurant called Richie's Diner on the way home and I had hickory smoked filet mignon...mmmmmmm..A meal fit for a carnivore One of the best and least expensive meals we had.

Monday morning we slept in as long as possible, packed up and drove to Santa Monica which was less than an hour away.

Then we checked into the Holiday Inn right across from the pier

And that about wraps up my ADITD MX Vacations journal. Sadly my MX Vacation experience was not great. I was very lucky not to get hurt on Friday when the caliper in the 250 I was riding fell off. It is clear after 3 days of bike problems that John does not properly maintain his machines. I had to pay $75 in fees he was supposed to cover and he did not cater to the ladies at all even though he was aware that I was bringing Pit Girl. I wish John the best in his future endeavors and may even try MX Vacations again under new ownership.

All in all it was a great adventure and I accomplished all my goals....

Have an amazing time
Participate in a few races
Stay healthy
and not lose!

5Chord screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 07:53 AM