User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #26086
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,897
I follow averages as well, because over time they are far from meaningless.

In my case, I do not race actual races. I ride my MTB for exercise and fun. On the exercise front, if (over time) my heart rate stays at the same rate, but I am finishing the same course faster (faster average rate) then my body is getting stronger. Less heart beats and less oxygen demand for the same amount of work. Or conversely, if I finish the same course in the same time but my heart rate is lower, then again my body has become more efficient, and hence "stronger". That is the as good as any way I know to measure "getting in shape".

Now, in the future will I start riding in local races, and therefore training in a particular way? Maybe, why not really? But I am not to the point where I even want to, so it is a moot point

All that said, with riding at night being new to me, and clipless pedals being new to me, finishing the course without a broken leg is the current goal
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #26087
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
finishing the course without a broken leg is the current goal
It's a worthy goal.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #26088
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Well the nice UPS man just delivered my new bicycle work stand. But since I only paid $50 for it, I won't be telling any of you snobs what it is.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #26089
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
use a coach

If my goal was to be competitive in a racing environment, I think the services of a coach would be money well-spent. Someone like Jim Verhaul who regularly exceeds 400+ miles in a 24-hour event and has coached riders at all levels and events.

Second best option would be the author that Gummee noted, Joe Friel and his book. I assume he meant The Power Meter Handbook. You can read an sample from it here.

Another resource is Training and Racing with a Power Meter.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #26090
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 49,738
Quote:
I follow averages as well, because over time they are far from meaningless.

In my case, I do not race actual races. I ride my MTB for exercise and fun. On the exercise front, if (over time) my heart rate stays at the same rate, but I am finishing the same course faster (faster average rate) then my body is getting stronger. Less heart beats and less oxygen demand for the same amount of work. Or conversely, if I finish the same course in the same time but my heart rate is lower, then again my body has become more efficient, and hence "stronger". That is the as good as any way I know to measure "getting in shape".

Now, in the future will I start riding in local races, and therefore training in a particular way? Maybe, why not really? But I am not to the point where I even want to, so it is a moot point

All that said, with riding at night being new to me, and clipless pedals being new to me, finishing the course without a broken leg is the current goal
Are you using a heart rate monitor?

I have friends that use them and swear by them but I'm not sure that I want to embrace the distraction that they appear to be.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #26091
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post

I have friends that use them and swear by them but I'm not sure that I want to embrace the distraction that they appear to be.
Yes.

But you are right, huge distraction while trying to negotiate trees that oare only a couple of feet apart. I only look at it when I stop for water. For the most part, I can tell when my heart rate is too high or too low. I can not tell you an exact number, but I can get within about 10 BPM of actual. I try to stay in the 150's while riding. There are sections of the trails I will coast more, and the rate comes down, and big hills where I max out. But if over an hour of riding my rate comes out in the 150's, then I know I got a good aerobic workout

It all comes back to what Gummee said earlier: people tend to train too fast on slow days, and too slow on fast days. The only way to know for sure is by heart rate.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #26092
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It's a worthy goal.
I was thinking of you on that one liner

I am glad you are pretty much better though!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #26093
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:

I've got a buddy that was club riding for a while and just started racing and he swears by it. My Garmin's strap was usually in my closet, but he convinced me to start wearing it and paying attention. It's sort of like cadence. Once you know what 90rpm feels like you don't need to check the computer display to know you're at 85 or 95. You can feel it.

I found it's similar with HR. Once I could associate how I feel with my HR number, I didn't need to pay any attention to it other than an occasional glance.

115-120bpm I'm cruising with my wife. 135bpm I'm cruising solo. 150bpm I'm chasing a faster buddy or climbing. 175bpm I'm going to die after I finish throwing up.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #26094
Stinez

Does anyone sell a heart rate monitor that records over a longish period of time?

I'd love to overlay a heart rate chart over a Google maps route.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #26095
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
I only look at it when I stop for water.
You stop for water? Houston, we have a problem.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #26096
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Does anyone sell a heart rate monitor that records over a longish period of time?

I'd love to overlay a heart rate chart over a Google maps route.
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and download all of my data from it to the garmin site. That includes power, cadence, HR, speed, temp, etc. You can select two data sets and display them on connect.garmin.com as such:

Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #26097
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and download all of my data from it to the garmin site. That includes power, cadence, HR, speed, temp, etc. You can select two data sets and display them on connect.garmin.com as such:

I'm not sure that I want to make that kind of financial commitment.

I do like the looks of some of the less costly options but I'm not sure I actually need one for what I do.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #26098
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I'm not sure that I want to make that kind of financial commitment.

I do like the looks of some of the less costly options but I'm not sure I actually need one for what I do.
I'm sure there are low cost HRM that will allow you to download the data but without a GPS, you won't be able to overlay the data on a Garmin map - you'd be missing the time/distance/position data. The Garmin does that very nicely, it's power-efficient and is reasonably weatherproof.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #26099
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,835
+1 on the Garmin Edge 500. Definitely a good way to track your miles/progress throughout the year. I got the bundle with the cadence/speed and HRM, but haven't used the HRM yet. It provides a lot of useful data.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #26100
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Yeah, I use a Garmin watch with HRM. Kinda pricey, but like said, the only way to accurately overlay a GPS track with HR. Also, mine is good for about 7 hours of tracking. Found that out on a MTB ride this past summer I should not have been on

The first time I used mine on the bike, I was amazed that after about an hour of riding my average HR was 143. Sounds good, but based on my age it should have been in the mid-150s. Still a good workout, but the slightly higher heart rate is better at burning calories. Too high and you start burning protein, so that is why you want to monitor and keep it in a range.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: