Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #586
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetuss10 View Post
Its the f658gs. I don't know the processes of the refiners, I just feel using the higher octane clears up the stalling issue. It was a method some one else mentioned using on f800riders and seemed to work for a few ot others.
Thanks ... I've been using 87/89 octane just because I didn't think I cared about the "surplus" octane value...
Turns out maybe I do eh?

PS:
I understand that most gas stations mix their 89-octaine on-site so buying mid-grade would "expose" you to any contaminates in either the 87 or the 92 grade gas..........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #587
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Figured out my problem. It was the damn side stand switch.......

Bike started acting funky again a couple days ago so I read up on here and noted that the side stand bypass was red+white with a floating brown.

Sure enough it started dying again. Then it wouldn't let me start it unless it was in neutral, even with the clutch in. Finally every time I swtiched it out of N into 1st it would die.

Pulled over and did a switch bypass and it proceeded to run for 300+ miles today without another burp.

So much for my fuel conspiracy.
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #588
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 140
I'm running inte the lowest octane we got in sweden (95...). 20000 kms and never an issue. Never heared stalling being discussed in the swedish forums. I think fuel quality is an important factor.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #589
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
Figured out my problem. It was the damn side stand switch.......

Bike started acting funky again a couple days ago so I read up on here and noted that the side stand bypass was red+white with a floating brown.

Sure enough it started dying again. Then it wouldn't let me start it unless it was in neutral, even with the clutch in. Finally every time I swtiched it out of N into 1st it would die.

Pulled over and did a switch bypass and it proceeded to run for 300+ miles today without another burp.

So much for my fuel conspiracy.
What model year is your bike?
Back very early after the bike was released - roughly September 2008 - there was a firmware upgrade to fix that problem. I you have an early bike the firmware update my fix it ... otherwise ... yeah sounds like bum switch.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #590
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
After bike at dealership for 17 days (of my 23 summer vacation days.YEAH!!!), the video provided proof to get fuel pump, fuel pump electronics, and injectors replaced. Idles a little different than before and the revs when coming to a stop seem to be higher and then drop off when totally stopped and clutch in (or in N). Just different feel. Will continue to monitor
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #591
SI Eddie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
F800 Stalls

Just had my 09 fail/stall for the 30-40ieth time today. Had a new pump installed last October. Running 93 octane fuel. Dealership has been good to respond but still no remedy. Today was the third time it happened at an intersection, don't know how long my charm is expected to hold out?
SI Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #592
Kroil
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eh?

My stalling issue seems to be a little different then what others have posted. Mine only stalls after it has been sitting in 90* plus temps and it only stalls once after start up and then it is fine. It has done this since purchased last July and completely stoped during the cooler months.
Kroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #593
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Insulate?

Mine had a very bad day a couple of weeks ago, running from Winthrop down to Leavenworth. Stalled every time I rolled off the throttle, until i could get fresh fuel in it. Temps were in the 90s.

This is at the point now where I don't trust the thing when the weather gets nice. Crap. What's the parts list of things to replace to fix this issue? No point me having a bike that I don't want to ride if the sun is shining.

I did notice how much heat gets transferred to the fuel tank by the exhaust / motor. It is all low down, so the last half a tank full would be especially susceptible to all this extra heat. Has anyone tried to insulate it? I have a whole bunch of adhesive backed heat shield panels which I am tempted to try. Would look like arse, but better than it would look broken down by the side of the road.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #594
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Mine had a very bad day a couple of weeks ago, running from Winthrop down to Leavenworth. Stalled every time I rolled off the throttle, until i could get fresh fuel in it. Temps were in the 90s.

This is at the point now where I don't trust the thing when the weather gets nice. Crap. What's the parts list of things to replace to fix this issue? No point me having a bike that I don't want to ride if the sun is shining.

I did notice how much heat gets transferred to the fuel tank by the exhaust / motor. It is all low down, so the last half a tank full would be especially susceptible to all this extra heat. Has anyone tried to insulate it? I have a whole bunch of adhesive backed heat shield panels which I am tempted to try. Would look like arse, but better than it would look broken down by the side of the road.
I just came back from a trip to the Balkans, and I was driving in 39.5C (103F) without any problems what so ever.

After I got a new fuel pump the bike have been stable as I could wish for.

When I get money I'll order the non-OEM pump which they say is made to handle ethanol fuel.

Csper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #595
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I have hit over 105F in stop-and-go traffic running ethanol fuel with no issues (well no issues with the BIKE anyway )

In reviewing my notes I find a not completely documented scribble that says the fuel line supplying the injector rail was upgraded and that this helped someone's stalling issue ... anyone recall this?
Old P/N 13547712276 superseded by 13547722828 ?

I'm sure I've posted it before, but this is one aftermarket pump advertised for our bikes,
AFAIK no one has tried it yet, but it does look like a direct bolt-in from what can be seen.........
and... the specs say it works with E85 (85% ethanol)!

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892784...2006-2010.html

Found the reference:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post381916

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 02:22 PM
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #596
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Eddie View Post
Just had my 09 fail/stall for the 30-40ieth time today. Had a new pump installed last October. Running 93 octane fuel. Dealership has been good to respond but still no remedy. Today was the third time it happened at an intersection, don't know how long my charm is expected to hold out?
Mine started stalling in exactly this manner after I had a new fuel pump installed. I'm still on my first tank of gas after the install but it looks like it will be going back in to the shop - I am very disappointed in BMW over this series of problems and their failure to redesign the system correctly. These bikes are high dollar and should be reliable. This is my last BMW.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #597
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Have your dealers checked your firmware levels?
It is rumored the later levels may have some fixes
(and I know I know ...downlevel firmware is NOT likely to be the root cause of this issue)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #598
cathulu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Bringing back a dying thread... hmmm sounds familiar

Well, just as I thought, the throttle position sensor my dealer thought was the problem for my bike stalling issues was not the problem.

So my stalling happened again this Sept in hot temperatures and I got a video of it:

I will update once I know what the dealer will do.

I am not happy with my bikes reliability. My cam chain tensioner is acting up again after being replaced 6 months ago.

Thank god I have a bit of warranty left.
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #599
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Have your dealers checked your firmware levels?
It is rumored the later levels may have some fixes
(and I know I know ...downlevel firmware is NOT likely to be the root cause of this issue)
What should the latest firmware version be on the f650gs? I just got a gs911 so i have bility to check ot.
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #600
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
What should the latest firmware version be on the f650gs? I just got a gs911 so i have bility to check ot.

The VERY early versions had an issue with the kick-stand safety interlock and would cause the bike to cut off ....

I have the GS-911 also, and am staring at the printout but it's not obvious to me what level firmware i have...
under the BMS-KP2 section (I have F650GS-twin) it says:

MCV: 0.6.0
FSV: 0.77.36
OSV: 2.3.1
Factory I-Level: K024-08-05-500
Actual I-Level: K024-10-02-550