ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #5926
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893
Last night didn't go as planned. Ended up with way more to do than a simple push rod. I didn't know mineral oil turned back into minerals inside your slave and master cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
Man as much as I love my 950 I don't really like working on it. Just about everything starts with taking the tanks off. Mine's got to come down this winter for a valve adjustment and a general look see. I hope the supertanker isn't full, Michael. In the mean time I've got a 640 Adventure to sort out. This working for a living is really cramping my style.

It's not that bad. At least with the Safari Tanks, the tanks comes off as one piece and there is only ONE vent hose instead of 3 or 4 to disconnect.

Mine was at 40k when I finally had to re-shim one. It probably didn't need it, but being the next 11k miles were going to be nowhere near tools, I decided to just do it.

My 640 tank is a big pain in the butt too. The previous owner installed a Scotts damper and you have to warp and pry the tank at the rear mounting stud to get it off. Then all the paint around the back of the fairing cracked from tanking the tank off also.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #5927
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Ply wood it,use rolled insulation or blown like an attic. I've heard of cellutex (foam board) being used for the ceiling instead of ply. It's pretty much worthless for anything but insulating though.

Is it stick framed or a truss roof?
It's truss roofed. Sounds like this is a project for next summer at this point. I've got shelving and bikes hanging from the studs on two sides so I'll have to do a little bit of moving things around to make this happen. Plywood is a good idea. I never thought drywall was that practical in a garage. Thanks for the ideas. Something else for my to do list.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #5928
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
It's truss roofed. Sounds like this is a project for next summer at this point. I've got shelving and bikes hanging from the studs on two sides so I'll have to do a little bit of moving things around to make this happen. Plywood is a good idea. I never thought drywall was that practical in a garage. Thanks for the ideas. Something else for my to do list.
Doesn't sound bad or hard at all. You can rip the sheets where the shelves are and add nailers since they aren't structural. Sheets on top or bottom,I'd recommend bottom due to truss webs. R15 or better up top or go plain, depending how insulated you want. Drywall can work, but its prone to moisture damage unless you use the green bathroom or better.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #5929
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,665
Might be cheaper just to have some urethane blown onto the ceiling. It's pretty cheap for the R value you get, and there is zero air leakage. The only downsize is that it can be messy if you get a hack doing it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #5930
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,014
walkin' & talkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Anybody heard from Chip about his foot? I ran into him at B Spot on Friday, he was on crutches and supposed to see a doc soon.
Back @ work today.

Went to the Ortho yesterday, got the boot. Short cam walker for three weeks, that is. Not slowing me down too much but I did rearrange the garage last night, put the snow blower out front, mower in the back and the bike in the middle. Slightly different arrangement than last year with the deck off and the GT sideways against the back wall gives me a bit more room to work on the bike but I have to climb over the tractor to get to the mini fridge. Damn, I miss my old barn!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5931
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Back @ work today.

Went to the Ortho yesterday, got the boot. Short cam walker for three weeks, that is. Not slowing me down too much but I did rearrange the garage last night, put the snow blower out front, mower in the back and the bike in the middle. Slightly different arrangement than last year with the deck off and the GT sideways against the back wall gives me a bit more room to work on the bike but I have to climb over the tractor to get to the mini fridge. Damn, I miss my old barn!
There's room for a shed in your back yard, gimpy.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #5932
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
There's room for a shed in your back yard, gimpy.
SWMBO says shed for next year...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #5933
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,310
Did you have to ask?

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #5934
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Did you have to ask?
Nah, it has been the plan all along, if I was making the financial decisions we would either living in a barn or a corrugated box underneath the superior viaduct.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #5935
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,310
You know, same for me. Married an accountant and it all worked out.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #5936
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Back @ work today.

the vader boot gets tiresome after awhile.Man, that sucks hope it goes well for you
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #5937
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere View Post
the vader boot gets tiresome after awhile.Man, that sucks hope it goes well for you
Hey, it's nothing compared to your break. But kind of goofy and similar in a way.
I mean, I have had all sorts of falls and tumbles, contusions, concussions, strains and pulls, but I thought that my first broken bone would've been more epic somehow.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #5938
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Same here, broke the metatarsel in my left foot that runs down the outside, pinched it between a tree and my Husky's frame. Didn't even know it broke until a few minutes later when it got all warm and tingly. Ended up having a plate installed and no cast or boot. When the Doc found out I was riding my bikes with it broken between diagnosis and surgery, he was afraid to give it any support in fear I'd go home and ride. Told me if I broke it, don't come back.

Then I broke the same bone behind the ring finger of my left hand in a bicycle crash, Rode home sore, they just splinted that.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #5939
BigArn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:

Nah, it has been the plan all along, if I was making the financial decisions we would either living in a barn or a corrugated box underneath the superior viaduct.
Hey we would be neighbors then!!
BigArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #5940
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

I did bridge inspection for Stark County for 5 or 6 years, it was always fun to find out what or who was under the bridges