Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
I didn't ride any less after my son our born, except for the fact that sometimes I just had to take the truck when he was just too little to ride on the bikes. When he got to where he could ride on the bikes with us then it was back to normal. As for my wife she did day rides when he was a few months old and she felt comfortable leaving him at grandpa’s for the day. When he was 3 or so she started doing overnight and vacation street rides and racing enduros again.
The best came when he was 4 and could race AMA MX and dirt track. We could all go together. Then camping and trail riding. Of course we had to back the speed down a little. (but by the time he was 14 or so he could leave us in the dust) It’s all 25 years behind us now, we all still ride and we’re all still very alive. Never really thought of motorcycling and death together, kind of morbid actually. If you think you might get killed, maybe you should quit riding, kid or not. I mean you’re ok with being dead, just don’t want to leave a family behind right?

sieg screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 12:55 PM
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,456
First off, you should have life insurance whether you ride or not.

The next thing I would consider is the difference between the risk factors of overall motorcyclists vs. those not drinking or speeding. Sober riding is easy, but do you like to speed? You mentioned the "rush", so I would say probably. What about a slower bike? Maybe something vintage with a top speed around 60 mph?

Another route to take would be to switch to dirt riding only. My friend did this, and now he and his young son ride together and often. It really seems to satisfy his need for acceleration nicely.

If none of that sits well with you, and you end up giving up riding, that S2000 can provide some serious thrills. Have you ever autocrossed it? Risk to the car (and you) is minimal, but you get to push to the limit and beyond. Certainly the most fun I've had on 4 wheels.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
A baby loves riding

My wife had a VW bus to ride to work; I had a Triumph Trophy 500. Our son rode strapped to me almost immediately. By the time he was 1 y/o, he insisted on riding in front of me. He had his first bike, a Yamaha RM50 before he was 5 y/o. He still rides and so do I.

If you care what your wife thinks about it, I cannot help you.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
my mom rode until she was 8 months pregnant with me and couldn't throw a leg over her bike any more ;)

unfortunately, after me she never tried riding again (which she reminds me of constantly!

My dad never stopped, except for a period of time when he had to sell bikes to make ends meet. My mom managed a kawasaki shop and my dad was a master mechanic there. They had to give up bikes because life gets in the way (that was enough money for the two of them, but not to start a family). Dad's turning 60 soon and still rides 25k a year (commuting).
Good story. Thanks. Here's to Mom and Dad
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
First off, you should have life insurance whether you ride or not.

The next thing I would consider is the difference between the risk factors of overall motorcyclists vs. those not drinking or speeding. Sober riding is easy, but do you like to speed? You mentioned the "rush", so I would say probably. What about a slower bike? Maybe something vintage with a top speed around 60 mph?

Another route to take would be to switch to dirt riding only. My friend did this, and now he and his young son ride together and often. It really seems to satisfy his need for acceleration nicely.

If none of that sits well with you, and you end up giving up riding, that S2000 can provide some serious thrills. Have you ever autocrossed it? Risk to the car (and you) is minimal, but you get to push to the limit and beyond. Certainly the most fun I've had on 4 wheels.
Wise man here. High Country knows the trials of a motorhead...

Autocross is fun if you get serious about it and produce results. No doubt off road riding is one of the best elixirs. Might even inject some hobby hare scramble racing to make your experience more soulful. No question you could get hurt, but the speeds are low for the most part, so the catastrophic risk is less.

I liked weekend motocross, but when I got hurt, my decision to quit was more about focusing on maximizing my career to be the best provider for my family. It wasn't about risk.

As family men, we want to be good providers above all else.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
royal
Don't Follow

Oddometer: 610
I grew up riding, even though no one in my family rode. It was something that called to me at a very early age. Honestly, I feel more alive, confident, and at home on a bike than anywhere else.

That being said, when my wife got pregnant with our first, she asked (She did not order me) if I would give up riding until our child was grown. To give a little frame of reference, my wife worked trauma for a large hospital and had to deal with unspeakable injuries from riders and drivers on a daily basis.

I said I would because I really did, and always have, known the risks involved with motorcycling. Two more kids followed and when my kids became older teenagers, I asked my wife if she would be comfortable with me getting back into motorcycling. I was 43 at the time. She understood how much it meant to me and appreciated the sacrifice I made for the sake of our family.

I'm 51 now and have spent the last 8 years making up for lost time. Once motorcycling is in your blood, in your spirit, it is very difficult to not heed the call. And it called to me everyday I didn't ride.

I know my wife still isn't comfortable with me riding and I know she worries a tremendous amount. I don't think she can push away the memories of putting broken bodies back together, or watching them die on the OR table. But, she loves me and she knows that it is part of me. Compromise is a large part of being married.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
I have 4 kids and have never given up riding...but my wife did. This is my eldest daughter at about 3 weeks old. It was a simple solution, slap a child/adult chair on the Norton.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I never stopped riding, My daughter started riding with me in a side car at 8 months old. By 2 she was sitting in front of me on a street and a trail bike. By 5 on the passenger seat on long trips. At 11 riding with me on her own bike off road, At 16 riding a CX500 on trips with me on a Goldwing. I grew up riding motorcycles and so did she.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,096
As was already mentioned- it is your own decision.

In my case, I stopped riding once the first of 2 kids was born. I actually then sold the bike. MY decision.

Skip forward... got very involved with family- coached their youth hockey, plus family skiing, bicycle riding (and our daughter eventually racing)

Second child hit 18 y.o.- a legal adult- and I bought another MC.

Oh yeah, they are 22 and 25 now and both have MC endorsements and ride their own bikes. They can make their own decisions in the future.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
orforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
As was mentioned, your call. I dated my wife on a RD 350 and have never been without a bike, even with two kids, now 26 and 28. Still riding and enjoying all 5 bikes. Didn't have alot of miles for many years, but always got out and stretched the cycle muscles every year. My wife has not riden with me since back surgery in 2000, and didn't with the kids around. Again Choice.
orforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,482
Riding is life,life is riding. not a big deal. Why would you quit?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,085
Never considered NOT riding. Rode much less, had to take the cage with kids, their stuff etc., but always rode some.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
I gave it up when my first was born 5 years ago. Had a Ducati and KTM 950, both of those before I dated my wife. I loved the long trips, the ADV rallies type riding. Well. with a new infant that ain't happening. I bought a KTM 525 as a placemarker in the garage but never rode it (never really rode dirtbikes) and sold it.

I got back into bikes by building them. My wife was pissed off at first because she thought she had rid her life of bikes forever But I could never say never. I did make a conscious effort to back off the long trips, more to be fair to her and the kids than fear of getting hurt.

I bought a new dirt bike last year and find I enjoy that a lot. Good exercise, good skill building. I actually hurt myself much more everytime I go out, but since I'm not talented enough to go fast it's usually bumps and bruises.

I still take my street bikes out and rip around but days off riding I'm usually in the woods riding with buddies. Much more comradery and BSing with the guys helmets off, challenging. I also like the wheelies, jumps etc.

I did one big street ride this spring from PA to NC and back in 4 days. It rained for 3. The one day it was sunny and beautiful I was in boone NC headed to the dragon to meet up with friends and I had one of THOSE days. You all know what I mean. The roads were perfect, cherry blossoms out, temp perfect no traffic, heaven.

My wife insisted on serious life insurance (I have 2 million policy plus I had to make her a partner in my corp). It's a big nut every month but screw it. I would be a miserable prick if I didn't have some outlet.

Try woods riding if you can. Good way to get the thrills without the fear of getting smacked by a car and easier to sell the wife on.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
My wife quit riding with me when she got pregnant. I ride every day but a lot less on the weekends. I still get in about 14-15k per year between pleasure and commuting but its not so much planned as opportinistic. I ride solo a lot now because of that.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #30
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
My Dad never stopped riding, my sister may even have been conceived on a motorcycle. I don't think they wore helmets back then either.

He didn't stop riding until one day he decided to take his bike apart and restore it. It's probably still in pieces somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote