Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Loosen the lower triple tree, and bounce the suspension a bit. It will slowly realign.
Motion Pro also makes an alignment tool that is stupid simple and takes the guess work out of it.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #17
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Hopping to get it o a shop and check it out today.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
Interesting conversation. A couple months ago, my wife "totaled" her '01 SV650 in a simple at-fault tip-over. (I had a private estimate done.) We had full coverage on the bike, and they valued it at a whoppping $3600. Subtract our $500 deductable, that's $3100, and we bought it back for $1200, giving us a total payout of $1900.

Only cost me a few hundred bucks to replace broken levers, handlebar, flyscreen, and chrome gauge tidbits.

Point being... Your bike may be valued higher than you think. Or maybe my insurance provider (Farm Beaurau) is just awesome. Also, if you want the highest damage estimate, get a private one because it wan't cost you anything, even if the dealer has to tow it to do the estimate.

It may be worth considering totalling the bike and buying a new one, OR totaling the bike, buying it back, parting it out, and then buying a new one.
What type of damage was sustained to the sv650?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
What type of damage was sustained to the sv650?
I didn't get a play-by-play from the dealer that did the estimate (possible mistake on my part). But I know that the left fork sustained a scratch, as well as the radiator, so those parts alone being replaced probably adds up to most of it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, that's pretty minor all things considered.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #21
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
What happened?

I wrecked mine in Jan 2011. It wasn't anything too major so I didn't bother with the insurance. I really like my gen1 and the wreck made me realize it was time to move some stuff from the I'd like to list to the get it done list. I like the bike even more now that I did the mods. For me, everything I test ride doesn't do that much more to make me consider getting a new bike.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike was parked on the side of a road in a neighborhood in Ashville NC. A drunk driver was going down the road at 65+ mph and struck a parked truck which in turn hit an SUV which then hit my friends vfr and my fz1. The bike was hit pretty hard on the front fairing and wheel before it tipped on its side and hit the curb. Fixable? Without a doubt, it will just take a lot of parts. I figure with forums and ebay however I could fix it for $400 and pocket the rest from insurance.

It's a pretty healthy list of parts to be fix from the insurance companies standpoint however so they might just total it out. Should know sometime tomorrow what they decide.

I love the bike, think its one of the best all around bikes ever made. Not sure what I would replace it with. I want to like the second gen fz1 but its just not the same bike. Whatever I get needs to be dead nuts realizable though.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #23
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nationwide claims $7000 to fix. Has yet to tell me what the value of my bike is.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
Quote:
Nationwide claims $7000 to fix. Has yet to tell me what the value of my bike is.

Well, unless they value it at more than $9300, it's gonna be totaled.

In 2009, I was rear-ended while riding. I was OK health-wise, but the bike was totaled. All State (the driver's insurance) low-balled the value of my motorcycle. Very frustrating.

They send me seven "comparable" vehicles to establish price. I was able to find six listings on the Internet by searching on the provided VINs. Of those six, FIVE were crashed prior to being sold, and the sixth one was a repo. (No pictures for that one, but you can imagine.)

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Drunks

Oh... one more thing. It's kinda fortunate for you that the driver fled. IF he had been arrested at the scene and proven to be drunk, his insurance MIGHT have refused to cover the collision. Driving drunk is an exclusion on most auto insurance.

If that happened, you'd have to sue the driver in court, and get in line with everybody else.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wiseblood, do you have a gen 2 now?

I am afraid of getting low balled, really don't want to deal with that. Thinking I might try and buy it back. I could fix the broken parts and have it on the road for a few hundred dollars. No idea what I would replace it with. I would shy away from another gen 1 because of the second gear issues. While mine is fine, I would be sad to buy another and have that happen to it.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the offered me $4,817 for the bike.....hell of a lot more then I expected. I can buy my old one back for $700 which I intend to do as it already had a salvage title.

Now I just need to find out in Maine if I can register it again or if they won't issue me a tittle because of the accident. Anyone know?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Wiseblood, do you have a gen 2 now?
No, I never owned an FZ1, but it's on my to-do list!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Well the offered me $4,817 for the bike.....hell of a lot more then I expected. I can buy my old one back for $700 which I intend to do as it already had a salvage title.

Now I just need to find out in Maine if I can register it again or if they won't issue me a tittle because of the accident. Anyone know?
That is some fantastic news!

I don't know about the Maine thing, but the ME DOT probably has that info on the website.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
gtbensley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then you must have the tiger 1050? I have read a bunch of your posts but couldn't remember what it is.

I couldn't be happier, I was expecting to get low balled hard, especially as the bike already had a salvage title.

I am looking now on Maine DMV....nothing yet. The guy from nationwide said in some states, if the cost of repair exceeds 90% of the total vehical cost, you will not ever be able to get a tittle for it. He is putting me in contact with someone who can tell me but I am always impatient haha.