Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #1141
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
So I have had mine a couple months now. Been on the trails 5-6 time. The only real performance mod is 13T front sprocket. I'm not an expert by any means and have found the bike to go everywhere I have asked it, so far, although somewhat slow at times. The big thing I really like is that being a bit vertically challenged, I like the seat height. But it is a bit under powered. Sometimes I have to down shift to 1st gear to finish the hill. I do realize that should get a bit better as I get better and feel comfortable carrying more speed. So I keep wondering, if it is worth spending the money to upgrade the bike with exhaust and suspension or ride it as is and think about buying a more powerful bike in a year or two, that already has the better suspension.

For those who have completed the upgrades, exhaust & suspension, does it really make that much of a difference.
Worth the money???
Will it improve the bike enough to keep it longer as my skills grow??
Mostly do trail riding and some limited street.

Thanks for the input.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #1142
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
...For those who have completed the upgrades, exhaust & suspension, does it really make that much of a difference.
Worth the money???
Will it improve the bike enough to keep it longer as my skills grow??
Mostly do trail riding and some limited street.

Thanks for the input.
I haven't done all the mods - just gearing/FI Controller/skid plate/guards and yes they have made a significant improvement, but will mods improve it as your skills improve enough to keep it? I would say that depends on your skills and your goals, if you find yourself wanting to do hardcore trail/enduro riding, and skillfull enough to do so, well maybe a different bike is in order - i had a CRF250X, it was great on trails much better than this bike, however, for the type of riding I want to do now this bike is much more suited for that, yes it has limitations, but thats ok, I love it for what it is....a great inexpensive, reliable 250cc dual sport.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1143
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Does anyone have a ramp I can borrow?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #1144
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
C'mon I see those Trials riders hoping gaps like that all the time on youtube, you can do it.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #1145
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajerosolo View Post
If Clarke or IMS can make some larger fuel tanks, it will be a win for the long distance ADV. My only other concern at this point is the lack of spares when abroad.... the CRFL isn't sold in central or South America yet; they still have the XR250 Tornado. Hope they end up replacing it!
It is routine for tank makers to be well into the second year of a bikes availabilty before selling product. Tooling always expensive plus the pattern making before any injection mold can be designed. They like to know sales numbers for the first years supply to justify the significant development costs way in advance of any sales. There are usually 3-4 major players, and if the first guy hits a homerun, then others risked a lot of money for nothing. 2 dozen owners asking for a tank in a forum doesnt hurry anything. Doesnt hurt I guess but you see a bunch of " group buy" talk and " they told me in an email.." And no tanks for a year and a half.
If you need extra fuel, I suggest you do a work around and figure on using that for a year, year and a half.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #1146
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
It is routine for tank makers to be well into the second year of a bikes availabilty before selling product. Tooling always expensive plus the pattern making before any injection mold can be designed. They like to know sales numbers for the first years supply to justify the significant development costs way in advance of any sales. There are usually 3-4 major players, and if the first guy hits a homerun, then others risked a lot of money for nothing. 2 dozen owners asking for a tank in a forum doesnt hurry anything. Doesnt hurt I guess but you see a bunch of " group buy" talk and " they told me in an email.." And no tanks for a year and a half.
If you need extra fuel, I suggest you do a work around and figure on using that for a year, year and a half.
Agreed. I'd like to see a tank too. Until then, the Rotopax will do the job. Even then, unless it's a significant increase in fuel capacity, the Rotopax still may get the call.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1147
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
What are the after-market seat options available so far?

Sat on bike this morning at the shop and instantly knew what the first upgrade would be.

Funny, I had discounted the Honda CRF230 from my short-list of bikes in my search for a 250 DS.

Not sure how I missed the CRF250 in my initial research...anywho as I mentioned, I slung a stiff old leg over the bike this morning and really liked the feel/fit of the bike. I think it will be perfect for commuting to work and knocking around the back mountain roads. Price doesn't suck either. Imagine that bike will take me anywhere my old crusty ass decides to go.

Thanks guys....
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #1148
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
CRF Seat

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...56&id=15889818
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #1149
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Seems to be a popular answer for a lot of bikes these days.
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1150
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
I'll post some pics of the top end disassembled later tonight.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #1151
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
So I haven't been looking at how many miles I have put on the bike and I am over by 100 for the first servicing. Is that really bad. I received an estimate of $225 for the first servicing including all parts and labor. Is that high?
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #1152
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
So I haven't been looking at how many miles I have put on the bike and I am over by 100 for the first servicing. Is that really bad. I received an estimate of $225 for the first servicing including all parts and labor. Is that high?
I brought my CBR250R in for it's first service (valve check, all other maint. was done by me), oh, about... 4000km overdue.

Dealer didn't care, they're more than happy to take my money.

Better late than never. Oh, btw, no adjustment required.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #1153
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

I paid $300 total, would have rather paid $225.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #1154
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
I received an estimate of $225 for the first servicing including all parts and labor. Is that high?
I believe my dealer quoted me about that same price for the valve clearance check and first oil and filter change.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #1155
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
I believe my dealer quoted me about that same price for the valve clearance check and first oil and filter change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
I paid $300 total, would have rather paid $225.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
I brought my CBR250R in for it's first service (valve check, all other maint. was done by me), oh, about... 4000km overdue.

Dealer didn't care, they're more than happy to take my money.

Better late than never. Oh, btw, no adjustment required.
Sweet! I will have it done then asap. I have the oil, gasket and filter already. I wonder if that will cut the price a little.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote