Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I picked up a nail south of Willcox Az. Temp was 36 degrees (I know I have another Yuppie device a Thermometer). It was raining and an occasional snow flurry. It was nice to be able to keep an eye on the tire pressure that lonely cold night. Thank God for Yuppies.
chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
duckboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
twempie,

didn't know the stk tpms system was so sophisticated. i thought i just an absolute pressure. again, thanks for the helpful and relavent info.

duckboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesimps View Post
Remember that the TPMS gives a temperature calibrated reading. It compensates for the temperature of the air and gives you the what the pressure would be at 20 Degrees C (since these are the reference pressures/temperatures in the manual).

Your normal gauge will not do this and gives you the pressure of the tyres at the current temperature.
homedepot platinum card
duckboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
duckboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Chip,

i'm not a yuppie either but would have to agree that these options on the bike are not necessary but sure come in helpful under certain conditions. kind of like heated seats. don't really need them, but, when you do, they sure are NICE

and yes, thank goodness for yuppie driven marketing!! :)

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
I picked up a nail south of Willcox Az. Temp was 36 degrees (I know I have another Yuppie device a Thermometer). It was raining and an occasional snow flurry. It was nice to be able to keep an eye on the tire pressure that lonely cold night. Thank God for Yuppies.
chip
homedepot platinum card
duckboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Mine's a large skinny, no foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
twempie,

didn't know the stk tpms system was so sophisticated. i thought i just an absolute pressure. again, thanks for the helpful and relavent info.

duckboy
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #20
rmarmbruster
Roba

Oddometer: 160
I would not mind having TPMS but would consider it behind other options and it won't put air in the tyres for you. It's best to get tyre pressures correct before leaving home when the tyres are at garage storage temp. Lots of arguments for and against. It has some merit for 4 wheel drivers towing a trailer and the like or even adventure riders on and off the black top through sand and mud etc in one outing. It can help remind at a glance what tyre pressure is running to help stay out of trouble.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #21
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk12rs View Post
I think these tpm's are a silly " GADGET " for the yuppie rider that just needs gadgets .

AND to make these silly posts .

just sayin .........

Flame away yuppie riders
I agree and disagree. First, you can play your math games all you want, they usually don't come out right, or at least not good enough. Too many variables that are tough to get a good reading. That's why I don't trust the absolute numbers on the instrument panel. There are some rules of thumb that allow you judge the best traction by the amount of change in tire pressure as they heat up. They are difficult to figure when a compensation algorithm is playing with the numbers. That's the agree part. The disagree part is that they are not a silly gadget. I measure my air pressure and fill the tires "cold" before the bike moves. That way I know what my tire pressure actually is at under known conditions, not what some engineer thinks it should be. Why it is not a gadget is I watch the instrument reading for changes, usually loss of pressure. That is what keeps my ass intact.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I agree and disagree. First, you can play your math games all you want, they usually don't come out right, or at least not good enough. Too many variables that are tough to get a good reading. That's why I don't trust the absolute numbers on the instrument panel. There are some rules of thumb that allow you judge the best traction by the amount of change in tire pressure as they heat up. They are difficult to figure when a compensation algorithm is playing with the numbers. That's the agree part. The disagree part is that they are not a silly gadget. I measure my air pressure and fill the tires "cold" before the bike moves. That way I know what my tire pressure actually is at under known conditions, not what some engineer thinks it should be. Why it is not a gadget is I watch the instrument reading for changes, usually loss of pressure. That is what keeps my ass intact.
This. ^^ TPMS is not there to tell you if your tires are inflated to the correct pressure to +/- 1 PSI. Use a good tire pressure gauge before you leave the house for that. TPMS is there so save your ass if you get a slow leak while riding. Happened to my buddy a few weeks ago -- he got a warning on the dash with the front down to 25 PSI. He had a slow leak and was able to limp home by topping up the tire a few times during the ride and keeping an eye on it with the TPMS.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
[QUOTE=duckboy;20117613]Chip,
i'm not a yuppie either but would have to agree that these options on the bike are not necessary but sure come in helpful under certain conditions. kind of like heated seats. don't really need them, but, when you do, they sure are NICE [QUOTE]

I used to think heated seats were a gimmick. Then I picked up an '08 1200RT w/heated seats in July. All I had on was my stitch with a t-shirt underneath. Fine for daytime riding, but the temp dropped from the high 80's to high 50's on the way home that night. The heated grips were a Godsend, but I was still chilly. Then I remember about the heated seats. I didn't consider them a gimmick after that. And my pillion appreciated them on the way home one night.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk12rs View Post
I think these tpm's are a silly " GADGET " for the yuppie rider that just needs gadgets .

AND to make these silly posts .

just sayin .........

Flame away yuppie riders
If you firmly believe that why not keep your opinions to yourself and bypass the posts you're not interested in? FYI: I find the TPMS valuable on highway rides for MONITORING tire pressures as a way of accident prevention from a slow leak. Why bother with fuel injection? Get a carburated Airhead, forgo the fairing, ( after all it's merely an annoyance a rider of your caliber doesn't "need" ) and ride like you ought to: In the wind...pun intended.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
If you firmly believe that why not keep your opinions to yourself and bypass the posts you're not interested in?
Already been answered here. No need to feed the trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
sbk12rs got the reaction he wanted and is probably having a wank about it right now.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Already been answered here. No need to feed the trolls.
Good point. I wrote and posted prior to reading the remainder of the thread.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote