Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 194
27 hrs

Peep, peep.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #71463
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,738
Waiting on UPS to bring my latest goodies from Jesse; Intiminators, TM40, oversize header, to finish the farklefest of the last year... I know, it's a sickness.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #71464
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
My new to me 01 DR650. Had a Corbin seat on it I don't like so I built my own.
Need some risers and then ride.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #71465
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
where is everyone? 27 hours since a peep.
I'm just waiting to do an experiment on my DR....
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #71466
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
where is everyone? 27 hours since a peep.
Playing with my new toy

planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #71467
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Where's the motor?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #71468
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Where's the motor?
On the floor to the left of the kayak... Lol
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #71469
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,465
Less than $1k Suspension ?

For less than $1k, is there anything better than Racetech emulators and springs up front and Racetech shock shaft assembly and spring in the rear? This is for a Baja trip ~2k miles (mas o menos).

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #71470
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
For less than $1k, is there anything better than Racetech emulators and springs up front and Racetech shock shaft assembly and spring in the rear? This is for a Baja trip ~2k miles (mas o menos).
The net cost of my Ohlins rear and USD WP forks was under $1k after I sold the original stuff off.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #71471
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
I'm very close to owning a DR.

I have 2 questions:
At 6', and used to riding an XR250R (and DH mountain bike) and hoping to take this bike on either the TAT or CDT plus extra offroad touring credit next year, I am looking at RC High bars, Rox risers and high seat foam, plus an 18" rear wheel. Not looking to lower the pegs and reduce any ground clearance. Should that be an OK starting point for ergos?

2nd question: is a Q4 muffler fine or do I need to consider a header upgrade if the maximum performance mod I plan to do would be a carb, but probably sticking with just opening the airbox and replacing the filter. I'm generally skeptical on spending bones on headers if not overboring with cams, etc. I weigh 155lbs and pack light.

Great thread, but too much info to digest in a week (or a year).

thanks guys!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #71472
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post

I have 2 questions:
At 6', and used to riding an XR250R (and DH mountain bike) and hoping to take this bike on either the TAT or CDT plus extra offroad touring credit next year, I am looking at RC High bars, Rox risers and high seat foam, plus an 18" rear wheel. Not looking to lower the pegs and reduce any ground clearance. Should that be an OK starting point for ergos?

2nd question: is a Q4 muffler fine or do I need to consider a header upgrade if the maximum performance mod I plan to do would be a carb, but probably sticking with just opening the airbox and replacing the filter. I'm generally skeptical on spending bones on headers if not overboring with cams, etc. I weigh 155lbs and pack light.

thanks guys!

You can progressively refine the ergos and find out. Lowering and rearsetting the pegs part way won't compromise ground clearance significantly, unless you use lowering plates. Cutting and welding the stock hangers is straightforward enough, or just making your own. The stock hangers are very tall. I can't comment on your exhaust proposal.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #71473
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
I didn't like the loudness of the FMF Q2 pipe my new DR came with, so I did a little research on the innertubes, and got a cheap pair of 1st generation Hayabusa pipes in fine shape. I considered trying to fabricate a 3-hole flange and midpipe, but didn't have several of the tools I'd need.

So, I got the left-side 'busa adapter kit from Jesse at Kientech.

Closeup of the flange

I removed the FMF, loosened everything up, from the header bolts on back, loctited the bolts, attached everything loosely, lined everything up, and then tightened it down into place.

Mid-pipe mounting point

All back together, with Dirtbagz rack

The 'Busa pipe is longer and probably a pound/pound and a half heavier than the FMF, but the fact that it never needs repacking, as well as the quieter (though still raw and fierce, esp at higher rpms) exhaust note made me decide to make the change. Now I just need to find a way to get a spark arrestor in there...

Next, it was time for a dyno run.

I'd already dyno'ed the bike with the FMF, and here was the result. The green line is the new 'Busa pipe; the red line is the old FMF.

When I ran my stock-exhaust, mildly-jetted old DR, it got a whopping 32 hp at the rear wheel. With the FMF, it topped out at 35.15; the 'Busa pipe was ever so slightly less at the top end, with 34.82 hp. The surprise, for me, was the rather improved low-end torque with the 'Busa pipe. It's slightly less torquey than the FMF at 6-7k rpm, but has notably more oomph pulling away from lights, up hills, and is, ahem, easier to wheelie.

Bike has a stage 2 Dynojet kit with a stock 40 pilot jet, 150 DJ main jet, needle on 4th clip, Twinair filter, and Jesse's cut airbox. Header is stock.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #71474
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post

When I ran my stock-exhaust, mildly-jetted old DR, it got a whopping 32 hp at the rear wheel. With the FMF, it topped out at 35.15; the 'Busa pipe was ever so slightly less at the top end, with 34.82 hp. The surprise, for me, was the rather improved low-end torque with the 'Busa pipe. It's slightly less torquey than the FMF at 6-7k rpm, but has notably more oomph pulling away from lights, up hills, and is, ahem, easier to wheelie.

Bike has a stage 2 Dynojet kit with a stock 40 pilot jet, 150 DJ main jet, needle on 4th clip, Twinair filter, and Jesse's cut airbox. Header is stock.
There's something wrong with the data in the chart, as the O2 can't really be 20-22.5% (ambient is roughly 20.95%). CO2 is also way too low. A good running engine should have upwards of 10%.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #71475
kristofer
Motonaut.se

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post

I have 2 questions:

thanks guys!
1. I am 6' and ride my DR650 with bar risers (1,5"?) and stock seat. I think that it suits me just fine that way. I have the 18" rear wheel and it is probably 1,5" taller in the forks and 2" in the rear. I can still get my feet down good enough, but I can't flat foot both at the same time.

2. I have the stock header and airfilter in an open airbox combined with a MXRob 39 mm FCR-MX (mated to a Lazer home-made slip-on). I have ground down the lug in the header a little, but have not gone crazy with it. So I would say no, there is no need. I'm 175 lbs and haul 30-40 lbs of gear with a 23 ltr fuel tank. The DR becomes pretty quick with that carb :)

All the best,
Kristofer

Motonaut vendor's thread
kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote