Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,463
Full Insurance With GEICO ... Are You REALLY Insured?

As some of you know Ellen took a pretty bad binning on her DR650 with frame damage, we contacted Geico who we have full insurance based on a RTW trip with, now they NO we are not insured south of the USA border ... great, lying wankers said we were when we took the cover out.

So Latin American riders, who are YOU insured with and are you ACTUALLY insured, check before you find out the hard way.

We have now found out the hard way that we are no which is a huge smash to the budget.

We are/were insured with Geico .. (or not), I Really appreciate them lying to us
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 738
that sucks! do you have your original policy docs? maybe pays to review them carefully. US insurance companies are cocksuckers, plain and simple. they will deny your legitimate claim just to save a few dollars.

glad ellen is ok.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,670
I'd be leary of any domestic carrier that says you're covered on a RTW trip.

Carry a Medjet type coverage for your health if you feel the need.

I didn't carry any insurance other than the mandatory seguros you buy at the border of the country you enter.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
kels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
depends on the amount of fuss you want to stir up....

Contact your state insurance commishner
and file a complaint.

You might try filing a police complaint for fraud.

Find one of the ambulance chasing atttorneys that
advertise on TV.

Might also try your local TV station if they
have an investigative reporter segment.
They love stories like this and insurance
companies dont like the heat.....
kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
People come on here all the time asking for insurance which will cover them in Latin America. In my limited experience even companies which claim to sell a product like that will exclude Mexico and a few other places because---surprise!---they're not licensed to sell Mexican insurance. But...you say your agent, who sells on commission, lied to you! They don't do that in New Zealand? I can promise you they do it just about everywhere else in the world.

I'd read the fine print on your policy, but I'd be pretty confident that's what it says. Probably says the same thing about some other places as well. I'd also suggest that this is not exactly news, and you could have learned it in advance by reading posts here or on Horizonsunlimited. Frustrating, yes; maybe even enraging. But this is not a function of an American insurance company--it's related to Mexican law.

Now, who was it who posted a couple of years ago about someone on Long Island who offered (for US$1500 or so) international insurance, supposedly good worldwide? Odd that they never came back to report on how that went for them....

Here's the takaway lesson, now and forever: don't believe anything an insurance salesman says to you, no matter who, where or how compellingly. Read the fine print; it's all that matters.

Of course, I am ready to be proven wrong about any or all of the above.

Here's hoping for a full, rapid recovery, followed by a clear path onward, homeward, or elsewhere.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

typical responses from some folks here that THINK they know what they are talking about. maybe they should investigate a bit before ASSuming...

http://www.geico.com/information/abo...ance/overseas/

for all we know, they bought one of these policies. geico will also sell you policy for mexico as agents for a different company. http://www.geico.com/information/states/mex/

oh, and Geico does not sell insurance through agents
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
typical responses from some folks here that THINK they know what they are talking about. maybe they should investigate a bit before ASSuming...

http://www.geico.com/information/abo...ance/overseas/

for all we know, they bought one of these policies. geico will also sell you policy for mexico as agents for a different company. http://www.geico.com/information/states/mex/

oh, and Geico does not sell insurance through agents
I stand by comment. I've worked in the P&C industry for almost 20 years on the regulatory reporting and strategic management side of things.

If this GEICO product is indeed legit coverage for continuous travel outside of the US I anxiously await to hear some anecdotal claims experience. We're already hearing about denial of coverage. I hope the GEICO actuaries get their pricing right on this one.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

my post wasn't quite aimed at yours MG.

my experience with US insurers is that they will more than likely fight or outright deny claims even when it is clear as pure air that they are liable--regardless of whether it is a first party or third-party claim. why do you suppose most states have enacted insurance bad faith statutes? it's so rampant that the government had to step in and make insurers REALLY pay when they get caught screwing their insureds or the third parties.

Moto Kiwis: if you have your original policy docs, declarations pages, invoices, whatever, i'd be happy to review them and give you a FLORIDA legal opinion on whether geico is improperly denying your claim--FOR FREE.

I am an attorney but only licensed in Florida. PM me if interested.