Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #166
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Let me know what you think
Looks good! Now that you have a name and logo for your business, maybe you can have one or both engraved into your products. Without that, nobody knows who made the product.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #167
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,556
Now it seems you use the GPS output to allow the compass repeater to display speed. Great idea! But I still want the compass repeater to be able to display distance as well (like the TripMaster XL). Can you use that GPS output data to calculate distance (speed/time=distance), and allow that to be displayed? This way if the TripMaster has a broken sensor, is calibrated wrong, or otherwise damaged, you can switch to the compass repeater to display distance as a backup. You will need to provide a connector so the handlebar switches can be connected to the repeater when a problem is discovered, but that's better than trying to navigate with no odometer.

Or, better yet, add the GPS connector to the Tripmaster so it can do all the odometer functions AND do the compass repeater function too!

I suppose you don't have available I/O pins on the processor, but I can keep dreaming that you'll find a way to do this.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #168
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Can someone do a spliter so we can run two Units off one pick up?
or run the OEM unit and a RNS or ICO unit of one pick up ???
That is what I am looking for!!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #169
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Now it seems you use the GPS output to allow the compass repeater to display speed. Great idea!
Actually Scott, this feature has been incorporated since the first models!

Quote:
But I still want the compass repeater to be able to display distance as well (like the TripMaster XL). Can you use that GPS output data to calculate distance (speed/time=distance), and allow that to be displayed?
I have had this idea for quite some time now, too. The problem with calculating distance from your speed is that it is not accurate at times, you will never get the precision of counting the front wheel. Take my Garmin for example. Let it sit in an open area and it will always show +-3m accuracy. Sometimes when totally stationary, the speed may jump to say 2km/h even though it is 0km/h. One would need either a highly precise unit or some clever software workaround for that.
In fact, the ERTF GPS' output the distance of the roadbook in a special sentence, which I have yet to decode. Upon reaching a waypoint it will autoadjust your travelled trip.
Quote:
I suppose you don't have available I/O pins on the processor, but I can keep dreaming that you'll find a way to do this.
No pins left, for now that is. Once I get the XL sales running a lot more smoothly, I will think of the next version (new chip, more pins) and what other fancy features to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Can someone do a spliter so we can run two Units off one pick up?
or run the OEM unit and a RNS or ICO unit of one pick up ???
That is what I am looking for!!!!!
In theory you can do it by splicing the cables and joining the 2 wires of the wheel sensor cables from the output of the unit and fixing them to the 2 wires of the sensor!
Be careful though, depending on how the 2 unis are connected to one another, they may interere with each other! Test it thoroughly!!!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #170
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been almost 5 years now since I started this project (back in April 08). Over this period of time I have learnt a great deal of new skills and got in touch with many people from all over the world. The past month has in fact been the wildest ever for me. Once Speedbrain won the Pharaons rallye in October with my new unit, word got around quickly and now I am proud to announce that the majority of the first quarter of the starting field in this year's Dakar are running my TripMaster XL as their primary unit! These include the factory teams of Sherco, HRC Honda, Yamaha, TM and possibly KTM (I write possibly because they have requested a S/W mod for their units, which have been untested by them so far).
I am still stunned to this moment that this has happened, especially so quickly. Alot of countless hours have been put into this project that I started as a teenager, now I run this business next to my uni studies which at times gets pretty stressful.

To get to the point, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody here on ADV for their support throughout the evolution of these units. Your feedback and input ahve made the products what they are today! To show my graditude I am willing to offer 15% to all orders from you ADVers

Any what would a post without some pics be?

Nice pic I took in the beautiful deserts of Qatar a few weeks ago:

Photoshoot of the Speebrain Husky of Barreda:

Happy Barreda:

Coma with RNS:

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #171
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,906
Quote:

In theory you can do it by splicing the cables and joining the 2 wires of the wheel sensor cables from the output of the unit and fixing them to the 2 wires of the sensor!
Be careful though, depending on how the 2 unis are connected to one another, they may interere with each other! Test it thoroughly!!!
Could diodes be added to prevent leaking between the two units?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #172
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Could diodes be added to prevent leaking between the two units?
Don't think so unfortunately

edit: Sorry scratch that, wrong thought, should work with 2 diodes! Same principle as the 2 buttons for the 3rd "mode" button

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #173
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,906
Quote:
Don't think so unfortunately

edit: Sorry scratch that, wrong thought, should work with 2 diodes! Same principle as the 2 buttons for the 3rd "mode" button
Ultimately aren't we just trying to keep any feedback from going to the other unit and giving a false signal? A diode on each "+" after the split?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #174
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Ultimately aren't we just trying to keep any feedback from going to the other unit and giving a false signal? A diode on each "+" after the split?
Indeed, that's exactly what you're after (like I said, same principle as with the buttons). What you need to do is, once you splice to connector (or leave it alone and use an opposite connector) check which of the 2 wires is signal (should be high at around 3-5V) and which is GND. Connect both signals together each with a diode (anodes to the signal line, cathodes together meet with the one line of the sensor). The 2 GNDs and the other end of the sensor all come together then!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #175
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Indeed, that's exactly what you're after (like I said, same principle as with the buttons). What you need to do is, once you splice to connector (or leave it alone and use an opposite connector) check which of the 2 wires is signal (should be high at around 3-5V) and which is GND. Connect both signals together each with a diode (anodes to the signal line, cathodes together meet with the one line of the sensor). The 2 GNDs and the other end of the sensor all come together then!

What I need is someone to make me TWO spliters( for two bikes)
So I can Run a RSN and an ICO for back up .
If you can do this I would buy an RSN and do many hours of testing over this next month.
I see running multiple magnet pickups and cabels from the front wheel is a PAIN in the ASS!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #176
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Will the repeater work with a garmin montana?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #177
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Will the repeater work with a garmin montana?
You bet ya! With a special USB cable, the repeater will run with virtually all the newer Garmin models that solely run on USB. Also, the repeater will charge the Garmin whilst connected!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #178
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
You bet ya! With a special USB cable, the repeater will run with virtually all the newer Garmin models that solely run on USB. Also, the repeater will charge the Garmin whilst connected!
ok what model garmin's use the sealed connector?

I have had one GPS fail because of water getting into the usb port
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #179
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
ok what model garmin's use the sealed connector?

I have had one GPS fail because of water getting into the usb port
To be honest, I'm not to familiar with the various models, only had experience with the 62s and like you say, I wasn't too excited about the near-open USB port! The old circular 4 pin connector seemed better IMHO!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #180
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Nice to see your hardware running at Dakar, Tony. On factory bikes, even!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote