User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Chet Jr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
GB500 + CW = GB662 / Priceless

CW is going to modify a couple of my GB500s to create what I consider the ultimate street bikes.

Expectations are that the bike will perform better than the Cycle World / White Brothers version done in 1990.
http://www.champsclock.com/gb500hu.htm

More info and pics shortly -

Chet
Chet Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Modified GB's Revisited

Very interesting...I'm curious to see what direction this CW project takes. Obviously increased power with 662cc's. Possibly drop some weight? i think you could lose 25+lbs off a stock GB without too much trouble.

For a couple of years, I've talked about modifying mine similar to the 'Jack Pine Triumph' style. Most of my riding buddies think I'm crazy for it. But I'd argue it's a nod to the past...like the AJS 7R 'standard' & 'scrambler' versions based on a big single. Or to give an example from Honda's history, the CB77 versus the CL77.

Industry wide, I'd say Cafe is still cool but Scrambler style is white hot. Mark Hoyer and Peter Egan of Cycle certainly couldn't stop gushing over the JP Triumph.. If CW builds a GB Scrambler before me, I'll feel part vindicated and part like a lazy ass for not tackling it sooner.

I look forward to more info, and of course, plenty of pics. Thanks, Chet!

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Chet Jr OP
Adventurer

The CW 662 / GB500 project bikes are officially underway!

CW and I have had numerous discusions on the best possible design to satisfy all my requirements. I'm very excited about having him on this project and using his new clover leaf heads for the two bikes.

The plan is for one stock appearing GB500 and one modified GB500 scrambler.

Chet
Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
GB500 project... Cool! Pictures, please!
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Chet Jr OP
Adventurer

GB500 build has officially started!

Looking for suggestions / pics on powder coating or polishing the motor.

Thanks
Chet
Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Update?

Hey Chet Jr.

How's your GB project(s) progressing?

It'd be awesome if you'd share some photos!

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Chet Jr OP
Adventurer

GB500 project update 10/24/12

1. CW determined that the dual carb setup will NOT fit the GB500 frame.
We will test the dual carb head (cloverleaf mod) with an adaptor and single large carb vs the GB500 head.

2. Teardown inspection found my stock GB500 flywheel has issues so I'm trying to find another quickly.
Anyone have one available?

3. New stainless exhaust, Ballistic battery, etc will make the bike a LOT lighter.

4. The GB662 is going to be an amazing street bike in both sleeper / stock and scrambler configurations.

5. Need to get some pics of CW on the stock GB500.

Chet
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Jr View Post
GB500 project update 10/24/12

1. CW determined that the dual carb setup will NOT fit the GB500 frame.
We will test the dual carb head (cloverleaf mod) with an adaptor and single large carb vs the GB500 head.

2. Teardown inspection found my stock GB500 flywheel has issues so I'm trying to find another quickly.
Anyone have one available?

3. New stainless exhaust, Ballistic battery, etc will make the bike a LOT lighter.

4. The GB662 is going to be an amazing street bike in both sleeper / stock and scrambler configurations.

5. Need to get some pics of CW on the stock GB500.

Chet
Gorgeous and very interesting!
More pictures of the process.
I have XR500R and think about the possibility of increasing to 600-650, but the crankshaft XR500R has many differences from GB500/XL/XR600 and it is difficult to implement.
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Hello everyone, me and Chet are building some really cool bikes GB500's, one of them is going to be a tricked out bike that was in a crash so it was easy to determine that would be the one that will not be a stock looking bike but more of a Holigan machine.

The other one is way to nice to chop up so we want to keep the stock look to it but build a strong motor out of it.

These are quick bikes to start with so with a little work like a 106mm 11.1 CW piston with the fast burn cloverleaf head and port work with larger custom CW valves with under cut stems and a large CW bumpstick good springs/retainers/hardened rockers. Trying to fab a dual port head to fit the 500's jug and cases with a single 45mm pumper carb or if I can make the dual carbs fit within the frame rails ( may have to widen the frame) will try the dual carbs.. So far it's to tight to try and fit the dual carbs. I don't like the idea of cutting and widening the frame so the single carb sounds better to me.
Also one large pumper carb will probably flow better with my dual port two into one carb setup, the motor will have plenty of tq. so the dual carbs are not that important.
With some oiling mods big finned head a better rod with the 75mm crank it should haul some boody..and be a rock solid motor

The other motor is going to be more on the milder side with the 102mm slug stock sized valves and stock chambered head but with port work and a milder cam... From what Chet has told me they are a 12 second bike with these few mods.

I have the motor tore down and am building a piston and rod at the moment, all ready have the over sized stainless valves made. If there were more space between the vales I would go with 39mm intakes but there's not.
With the cam I'm going to use the valves would collide together with anything larger than 37's and the larger valve seats would weaken the head.....
37mm's on the intake and 32 on the exhaust is what I'm going with.

Pictures coming so stay tuned...Cycle world is going to do a write up on the bikes when the projects are finished..

I've been running into a lot of stripped out flywheels with the last few motors I've done where apparently someone could not remove the flywheel and pulled the threads out..
Had to take a touch and heat the wheel to remove it..