Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #76
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Golden Eagle Enduro
The Crowmobile Adventure Van made its second enduro trip. It was a hot weekend in late June and I didn't have the AC working in my van yet. Tomski and I got some funny looks on the highway. I guess they were in awe of our sweaty, shirtless physiques.

Holy Cow it's El Rojo! I recently spent 12 hours in that truck.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=821188&page=5

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=839776&page=3

Small World.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #77
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
Holy Cow it's El Rojo! I recently spent 12 hours in that truck.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=821188&page=5

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=839776&page=3

Small World.
Yep. We were talking about you last week.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #78
Crash217
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
When are we going to hear the rest of the story.
Crash217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #79
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,848
And they all lived happily after?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #80
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Sorry folks. The schedule has been pretty destroyed lately and I haven't made the time to finish this report.

I'll try to do it this week.

Thanks for your patience.

Ther is a happy ending though.
-DustyRags
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #81
Crash217
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Still waiting...
Crash217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #82
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #83
Bird76Mojo
Bikeless :(

Oddometer: 1,450
Man this was a great read. If only it had been finished!!

GB

Always glad to help a fellow rider..
Bird76Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #84
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo View Post
Man this was a great read. If only it had been finished!!

GB

Good idea.
-DustyRags
Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #85
steved57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Yeah come on DD lets have the final chapter please
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto
2010 KTM RC8
steved57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #86
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved57 View Post
Yeah come on DD lets have the final chapter please

Ok, ok. I'm currently in Kansas riding, so it'll be a day or two before I can begin to finish the write-up.

Spoiler- both the KLR and I survived the season. I'm riding the KLR today, but it is retired from racing... But I'm not.
-DustyRags
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #87
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Ok, ok. I'm currently in Kansas riding, so it'll be a day or two before I can begin to finish the write-up.

Spoiler- both the KLR and I survived the season. I'm riding the KLR today, but it is retired from racing... But I'm not.
So you bought a 950 to race right? 650 get boring? ;)

Great read can't wait for the final chapter!! I raced my 950 at a local hare scramble last weekend and had a blast. Can't wait for the next one.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #88
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Ok, I know I never finished this report, so I'm doing my best to recall the last race(s) in as much detail as possible... When I last left you, there was one BlackJack race remaining in my first enduro race season and I was riding a behemoth KLR650. As I'm recollecting this, I'm flooded with some mixed and conflicting emotions- confusion, pride, pain, and general self-doubt such as "why the hell did I do this again?" Oh well, I had a lot of fun, and judging from the responses received in this report, it was all worth it.

Crosstimbers Enduro

Well, at long last, it's the final race of the season in Oklahoma City and hosted by Oklahoma Dirt Riders at Draper Lake, an OHV area.

Due to the proximity to home, I was able to convince some local inmates to ride in the race with me. Newner (XR250) and RedDirtJoe (WR250) joined me in the slow race while Crash217 (XC250) rode the big boy race. This was my first time to ride at Draper.

I trailered the KLR to OKC with my swanky van and scoped out the area. The region had received a significant amount of rainfall recently and more was forecast on the night before the race. When we arrived, we were met with some uncertainty from the hosting club as to the probability of a cancellation. We crossed our fingers at Crosstimbers.

That afternoon, the clouds from hell spewed the evil tears of the damned in a thorough attempt to ruin our weekend. We cowered in my leaky van, as there was little else we could do but wait. Late into the night, there was still no final word on the status of the race, as the club was in a tough spot because there was some sort of governing body for the OHV area that was allowing the race to be held by Okie Dirt Riders. I witnessed several phone conversations and tried to stay optimistic. Apparently, a compromise was met, and although the race was not completely cancelled, the course was dramatically altered (shortened), and the key time was pushed back to allow the ground to dry as much as possible.

Scheduled as a timekeeper, the last-minute changes to the course resulted in basically a hugely simplified format with only two checks. We did two short loops and it was a mudfest. My first loop was pretty easy and though traction was an issue, the KLR plowed through everything pretty well. The dirt in central Oklahoma is infamous for its qualities. The area is known as red dirt country and it's no exaggeration. When the red dirt gets wet, it basically turns to a sticky paste and actually stains the aluminum on your bike. A power-washer can't completely remove it (at least not mine), and you have to manually scrub away the red film. Needless to say, it presents challenges when riding, and you can get out of sorts pretty easily even in the simplest of sections. I'm sure I was perpendicular to the course on numerous occasions.

Here's what our bikes looked like after one loop. Modest patina of red clay.

The second loop was a different story (as usual) with increased difficulty, extended fatigue delays, and I had a pretty substantial get-off. The brief respite from mud included a grass track and it presented its own challenges. I must have been going too fast, or fatigue was getting the best of my reflexes, but I got crossed-up and highsided the bike eating a facefull of turf. After miles of slipping and sliding, the red mud had impregnated the brakes making them all but useless, coated the chain, and basically made the countersprocket cover look like a play-doh machine. But all of this was a blast. I had a great time at this race, finished with a sub-par time and enjoyed my first official enduro slogfest. Newner was having trouble with his XR and it didn't help his race much. The mud was causing his air-cooled bike to run too hot. October in Oklahoma can still be a bit balmy, and with all the rain, it was a muggy bitch. RedDirtJoe was having a rough day of it too with 50/50 kenda tires, but all three of us finished the race. Crash217 is a high-class rider and all this shit is a breeze for him.

Adobe bikes

This image ws featured in a KLR calendar assembled by an ADV inmate.

Yes, those are van running boards that Newner uses as a ramp.

Not much cooling happening here.

I needed a solid score to keep my place in season points. I went into this race sitting in 2nd place somehow, but that wouldn't be the case. I placed 7th in C Vet, beating only Newner, who was having bike issues. Within BlackJack, I secured a 4th place finish for the race and that put me barely in 4th place for the season.

I can't really complain about getting 4th place in an enduro circuit while riding a KLR, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit disappointed. But look at the point separation!!?? I was one point away from a tie for second. Oh, the what ifs!! What if I had trained a bit harder? What if I had just been only 10% more aggressive? Would that have made the difference? Or the real question- What if I were simply riding a lighter bike?

At some point after I took that screenshot above, there must have been some modifications to the scoring after the season had ended. When I look at the scores now, they read as follows:

I asked about the modified scores, but it was too late. For those of you that understand enduro scoring (while I'm no expert) should be able to plainly see that something is wrong here. The ultimate result is the same (4th place), but it makes no sense to me why the scores are a bit wonky for Hardwood Hills and Train Robbers. It certainly opens the gaps between me and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers and I don't think it truly reflects how close the class was for 1st - 4th.

One more bonus race and a recap coming soon...
-DustyRags
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #89
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Glad you are finishing the RR report Jason. As I told you before, that was a really big accomplishment and something you should be proud of.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #90
Bird76Mojo
Bikeless :(

Oddometer: 1,450
Yay the next installment!!

I tip my hat to you and that KLR both..

Always glad to help a fellow rider..
Bird76Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote