Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
TOSH if I bet on anyone it would be myself. Heat is a factor I have taken into consideration I grew up on the east coast and am use to humidy but I have only riden in dry heat of az. Howver not sure if I want to go north of phoenix and over, or go south thru texas. To NC and then go north only thing I really want to aviod is the pa turnpike

Catweasel67 good point thank you I will check out their website I read the advrider hall of wisdom for IBA but I think they might have some more wisdom there

HEYWHATEVER. Good point my uncle lived there was the worst part about driving cross country it was flat and boring only good thing was speed limit in a lot of neb. Is 80 but that state is SOOOO boring
You're going to be stopped by combination of butt-burn and general fatigue. Nobody is saying that it can't be done, but until you've spent a few long days back-to-back on a bike, you really don't know what you're getting into.

The requests for scenic/twisty options without blowing through your allotted travel time also point to a wee bit of over over-enthusiasm on your part. I don't think that you fully appreciate what you're getting into...

Finally, your bike, through no fault of its' own, is not the best choice for a long multi-day slab ride.

PS- in Texas, by mid-June it's already too hot to ride.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
TOSH- that is a good point something to think about bike wise I have done few long long rides on it so couple prep ride s might really see if this is possible I am rushing back to the east coast to get to a family wedding and to cross a bucket list item of riding. With my family

NO FALSE-thanks for the routes I will check those out right now I have a free place to stay with family in boone NC so I will be going thru there and up I think still not sold on a route

HEYWHATEVER- we have a few places in az where drivers do that all the time it drives me nuts. Rocks spitting at you at 45MPH is not fun I have heard good and bad about riding thru texas the good being the steak houses
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Yeah, but with your time frame the only steak you'll see will be still standing in a pasture munching grass.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Drivers in Texas pull over when they can to be courteous. People from other states do not realize why we do it. To outsiders that may be weird but not among us. And yes, riding in Texas can be brutal, hydrate, hydrate, and then drink some more water. Smart water is even better that time of year. Trust me, I know. Riding in Texas for over 35 years will teach you alot.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Drivers in Mexico do the same thing. I think its helpful and courteous.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
I am just a stickler for 5 to 7 over the speed limit, so, most often when riding, I am waving cars by me...

I had a ticket for 15 over in 2002, 19 over in 2006, and 19 over in 2008...

I also had a lot of freaky stuff happen to my bikes and cars within a short period of time...
(fire/ bike, hit by someone while asleep at home and not in my car/ car, broken windshield/ -20 below F, and two hail storms)...

Now my insurance is low... I want to keep it that way... so, yeah, I pass people going the speed limit or lower... or the idiots on the BRP that you can sit behind for 30 minutes before they notice you.

Life is just easier that way...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #22
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
I have done 2. 20 hour days it was rough as they were back to back. Main thing I learned is seat is important however I have never done that far on my new bike I have only done 10 hours on this bike. I will be doing a ride report on this as well. Just wondering the best roads to take from anyone who has done cross country. I have driven it and know the mid west is very boring at parts
Spare me/us the ride report on riding a MC for 20 hours straight. I suggest a sane trip of longish days with a good nights sleep so you are not a fatality waiting to happen. If you want to talk about great riding roads then do it on a trip that's not a mad dash from A to B! FWIW, this is not what motorcycling is about. I watch trip planning with an ear for trying to help pothers get into some good riding, you have it all wrong-just click it into mapquest & go.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
39 hours on that one mapped out version isn't even close to realistic on a bike. That's 60mph average for 39 hours. I was kicking ass riding from NY to Colorado mostly on interstate last year and that took 4 days and every day was around 12 hours of riding. I smoke though so there's one extra stop every tankful.
For comparison I rode from upstate NY to NW Arkansas this past spring, around 2K miles the way I went. I did the scenic WV roads and also hit the Smokies on the way. That was a 4 day trip and it seemed like I was riding the better part of every day. That's the result of riding scenic twisty motorcycle roads.
Best way to do your trip in 3 days will be all interstate and never stopping to take in anything along the way. It can be done but if you don't have to rush it'd be way more fun taking a week. Lot's of good stuff if you can work the Ozarks/Smokies and WV into the mix.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
There really, really are people who consider this kinda thing as an accomplishment and being worthy of respect.
There are lots of different folks out there, eh?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

There are also people out there who do this sort of thing because they need validation.
Yes there are a lot of different folks.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
I am looking to ride from phoenix az to philadelphia pa in july was wondering if I could get some advice from the iron butt guys and the riders who have done it before trip in in july 2013. I have family to stay with along the way but would like to put in 15 to 20 hour days . I will be riding a f800gs. Was wondering what safest route is? Fun roads? Best route? Good places for food? Most of all routes with fewest trucks ? Any fffeedback would be great any most stops or must have gear?
Your questions and statements are at odds with one another, although I doubt that you realize that... at this point.

Staying with family is not conducive to quick, early departures, such as you will need to make this trip work. Same with "good places for food". If you're going to attempt a lot of miles in a short time, McD's, Burger King, and the like are where you will have to partake of sustenance. Sitting down to enjoy a meal will be a luxury you can ill afford.

Do you enjoy riding at night? For making time that is usually the best. It will be cooler, traffic is usually moving at a rapid rate, and LEO presence is generally lighter. To put in 15 hours of riding will require 18 hours of being wide awake and active. Any time you stop drops your average overall speed an amazing amount, so you want to pack as much in the way of necessities with you, and have them readily accessible.

If you manage it, this will undoubtedly be quite a learning experience for you.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
smr238
Sam

Oddometer: 149
If you are willing to ride all interstate, the trip should be doable. You should be able to average 50 mph if you stick to all interstate, avoid cities during rush hours, and limit yourself to reasonable stops. I would do a 16 hour day on day one as you should be rested at the start of the trip. That should put you around Oaklahoma City. I would shoot for Indianapolis on day two which should take about 12.5 hours. If you still feel good in Indy you can always keep going. That should put you about 11 to 12 hours outside of Philly. The amount of distance you want to cover in the time you have allotted is doable, but will be uncomfortable. I have done some over ambitious trips, and for me the most important thing is to keep well rested.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 436
Fatigue is a killer...
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
There are also people out there who do this sort of thing because they need validation.
Yes there are a lot of different folks.
That's the word I was looking for: validation.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Alcan rider- and SMR thank u for the great advise I think the 3 days will be 3 days first 18 total hours and second two will be 15hour days I think the rest is a great point my plan is since the sun rises in the east I will not travel in the morning as it is very annoying to travel with the sun directly in ur eyes pain in the a$$. My main stops will be gas and stretching. So travel will start from noon on. I actually scheduled 4 days to do this now instead of 3 still very excited. Hopefully I run into so advriders on the way to cheer up my spirits
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote