Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 AM   #16
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,170
I fitted a WP USD front end to my G/S. Problems were the mounting of the front caliper. This was solved by a mate who is a machinist, although probably a bit of overkill, the mount is very well done. The caliper is a K1100 4 spot Brembo. The disc is a 320mm OCD unit.

The front end has improved the performance of the bike to a level I did not expect, it is a joy to ride. I matched the front with an Ohlins rear.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #17
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 713
Try contacting MiGSel who's on the forum as well. He converted a G/S with GS forks using the G/S wheel. Have a look at http://http://www.bmwgsclub.nl/forum...pic.php?t=8651 It's in Dutch I'm afraid but the pics are great!

clement.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #18
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 679
Just remember once you change one component you will need to change another. You put a GS front end in place of the ST front end you are going to raise the front. Then you will need to raise the rear. Put greatly improved brakes on the front you are going to flex the frame considerably more. Then you will want frame gussets. Put WP forks on the front and then you will need to change to fat bars to color match. Where does it end?

Besides the ST is a popular bike. Fix it, sell it, buy what you would prefer.

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #19
MiGSel
GaStronaut

Oddometer: 395
I posted a similar thread here too. I'm sure you'll find that easier to read
Cheers,
Michel

Accessories are at www.migsel.com
MiGSel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #20
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack
I fitted a USD 1992 YZ250 front end into my R80G/S.
How about some pics ????

Pezz :)
R80G/S Dakar
97 640 Rallye - For Sale
99 660 Rallye
Pezz_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #21
ducsingle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Just remember once you change one component you will need to change another. You put a GS front end in place of the ST front end you are going to raise the front. Then you will need to raise the rear. Put greatly improved brakes on the front you are going to flex the frame considerably more. Then you will want frame gussets. Put WP forks on the front and then you will need to change to fat bars to color match. Where does it end?

Besides the ST is a popular bike. Fix it, sell it, buy what you would prefer.
A guy on the ST list installed a GS front end on his ST. He tried to run a G/S shock to balance out the extra fork length, but then the centerstand was too short. He went back to the ST shock and raised the GS fork tubes a bit. He says it handles much better than a stock ST - - - and he has a stock ST to compare.

I don't think the ST frame is any more flexy than the R100R frame, and the R100R came with a much stiffer fork and better brakes. Of course both models are pretty bendy by modern standards.

I'm not planning to mess with the engine. I was planning to tear the bike down to powdercoat the frame, so I might add some HPN style frame gussets while I have it apart. I think those are more for durability than stiffness though. CC Products frame braces would reduce frame flex, but as you say, it's easy to start running in circles with modifications.

I can't really think of another bike I'd really like to have right now. The new Yamaha MT-03 and Honda motard look interesting, but thumpers aren't really suited for touring. Current plan is to hang onto the ST for awhile and maybe look into an R1200GS in 2-3 years. There's something to be said for a bike that I can work on myself.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #22
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 679
[QUOTE=ducsingle]A guy on the ST list installed a GS front end on his ST. He tried to run a G/S shock to balance out the extra fork length, but then the centerstand was too short. He went back to the ST shock and raised the GS fork tubes a bit. He says it handles much better than a stock ST - - - and he has a stock ST to compare.

Hey that is cool. I've made some suspension changes in the past that are contrary to popular theory but worked very well. I'm with you on the bike. If I have tall miles to cover the ST with a 9.5 gal tank is my ride of choice. I am in a similar boat as you. The frame is rusty, all the painted parts need to be renewed and I would love to do someting different with that plate of sheet metal the headlight is mounted on.

A friend of mine just renewed an ST by putting a red R100 GS tank on it and painted everything else in satin black. Cool looking bike.

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote