ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #76
AlexE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks AdvGa, i will keep you posted
AlexE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #77
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,541
Offering some technical clarity here regarding the discussion of Voltage Rectifiers -Regulators

The Shindengen VRs are both SHUNT style. The OEM unit (similar to the SH821) in the KTM is the SCR style (shunting to ground to regulate maximum voltage output).

The "upgrade" Shindengen (most people are choosing the FH020AA) is a MOSFET style (still shunting to ground to regulate maximum voltage output).

SH821 internal diagram:

FH020AA internal diagram:

The significant difference between the two is the amount of heat they generate from shunting the voltage, the amount of current output that they can maintain at a given airflow. Basically the MOSFET unit will maintain a higher output of current for a given higher temperature. I have seen and heard of the MOSFET units doing a better job of maintaining correct system voltage in addition to running cooler than the SCR style.

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #78
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Well just had my regulator go out on the trail, up in smoke.
Is this the usual form of death? I thought they went out with a whimper maybe doing a murder suicide with your battery?

P1000556

Anyway, I replaced with a Rick's that thankfully due to the OC Wisdom I purchased on my last trip home.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....BBZHZlbnR1cmU=
I think I have now used all my suggested replacement parts.

A couple of questions?
1) My bike was running a temperature, not overheating but above normal I thought. After replacing the regulator, I appear to be normal again. Is it possible that the two are related?
2) I did not relocate the regulator. I see lots of interesting locations provided here. Is it worth it for the new regulator? The old guy lasted more than 30K miles.

KTM 950SE, KTM450exc, WR262, XR100

SA Trip: http://profundoenel.wordpress.com

My Spot Page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...VRxGZhKdq5PNll
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #79
AlexE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I had done the VR installation successfully, the SUZUKI V-Strom regulator puts out 14.35 Volts regardless of the engine RPM`s . Lots of cutting, stripping, soldering as expected, the only minus side of this SUZUKI VR is its installation is the distance between center, I had to make a base plate for it. My next Question is, do Shindengen MOSFET makes a regulator with distance between bolt compatible with de 67 mm KTM uses?
AlexE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #80
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
I had done the VR installation successfully...

. My next Question is, do Shindengen MOSFET makes a regulator with distance between bolt compatible with de 67 mm KTM uses?
Congrats on your Success!

As far the the Bolt Hole spacing on the Shindengen, I just used the Bolt Connection in One Hole.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #81
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94
The Honda VFR750's have VR problems ,what is important is that the VR is fixed on to the metal plate on the frame, even using a bit of heat conducting paste (like a PC processor) which helps dissipate the heat , just thinking would it be an good idea if you do relocate your VD that you mount it on a metal plate or an old PC processor heat sink ?
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #82
Sideoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
My voltage regulator just went out on a ktm 950se. Boiled battery, whistling under seat, bad fumes. About to leave on a long trip and could only get my hands on a used VR from a ktm adventure. I can confirm an earlier post in this thread that the adventure VR fits onto the SE without any wire splicing despite the much shorter wiring harness. Won't make it to the stock location but you can mount it to the frame similar to misery goats spot but a little further back. Bought the rubber/metal clamps to attach it at ace hardware for 1.50 each. I brought in a pic from this thread and the store clerk helped me find them. I ran a bolt through the existing VR holes right into the clamps. Piece of cake and the new location will have a lot more airflow and less exhaust heat. I have the safari tank, which i think was not helping with the airflow situation. Thx for all the great info in this thread.
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEMONSTER View Post
Hey guys, i have just finished experimenting with Machining a Heat Sink to surround REG/REC in its stock location. Got the Temp from 175 Degrees (shot with infra red gun to top of REG) down to 150. Not good enough, i have played with a couple different locations, and now have a Relocation Bracket, a few Rubber coated/Galvanized mounts, and can put this together, and send out in a Kit to anybody that is interested.

Shoot me a message PM wise, or use my business e-mail info@mvmotoventure.ca I will take a few Photos, and answer any questions you might have.

Latest Bracket/Relocation, i am getting a reading of 102 Degrees with the bike sitting there idling, five bars showing, fan kicked on, and drooling all over itself, all for the sake of Science, and a nice afternoon of Backcountry Riding.

I had a Higher Temperature when i was a Kid, so i would have to call this a success ???

Cheers, Mates. Mike.
Lakemonster,

received your VR relocator bracket today. Good looking piece of fab work. It would be easy to make one, but with all I have going on right now it's nice to just buy it and not have to fab one up.

Thanks!
Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote