Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
next year is the 30th year. it will be extra special.
30th year. I want a shirt so ill do it.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,419
Year 2 of riding LAB2V on the big GS Adventure. Last year 3 of us rode our GS's together and 2 of us made it the whole route. All the talk was this year was going to be nothing like last year, it would be long days with lots and lots of sand. This news prompted me to go about prepping a little different; bike set up (take less shit, upgraded suspension, new 21" Woody's wheel) and lots of practice days riding in sand. Wow, I got more than I bargained for in the 2012 version.

The plan started with 4 riders, 2 GSA's, 990 KTM, and one 690 KTM. That plan aborted and now it was just me and Jnyrav and his 690.

The morning started out great, nice and warm, eveyone loading up roll charts

Johny Rav and I headed out hit the dirt and were hauling ass, light sand and some small whoops but nothing real bad. We made great time and pulled into the first checkpoint ahead of our schedule. Headed back out to the route and the sand and whoops got a little more testing and I pushed a lttle too hard ... got crossed up in a whoop and down goes the GSA. Windscreen toast and torsion strut bent to the tire

No less than 4 ADV FF's pulled up for a laugh as I had the real wheel pulled off and banging on the strut with a rock. CA Stu put out a "somebody help with a part?" message and John rode off chasing down the ADV crew with me limping it back to Cal City. Spent an hour in Cal City trying to convice the local tire shop guy to let me borrow a hammer and block. Finally banged the torsion strut off the tire and took the dirt super highway to Joberg and got back on track at Trona Rd. Pretty much rode by myself the rest of the way into Barstow, passed a few riders and got passed by several more but seemed pretty lonesome out there. Had no idea where my ride partner was and started getting real tired (should have stopped to eat more). Just about the time I was done with riding any more sand wash, poof, the course right turned into a 80' wide dirt freeway and was on easy street. Found my ridng buddy in Barstow, turned out he got turned around on the route around Jawbone and slabbed to Barstow.

The torsion strut fix in Cal CIty didn't hold, couldn't find a replacement anywhere so a nice young guy at the TA Truck Service center in Barstow applied a 5' slide hammer to it ... 3 solid shots and it was almost staight again.

Day 2 started out great, we rolled out shortly after 6 and were on the dirt while it was still somewhat dark, Up and over the first little hilll climb and missed the left, went off course and no John behind me. Figured he made the turn so did the cut across move back on track, thought I saw him and took off trying to catch him. Didn't see him again until Baker, turns out he got got off at the turn coming down the hill went down and got his bell rung ... slabbed out to Ludlow.

The next 2 hours were pure torture on the GSA, deep sand, dust, sun straight in my eyes. Ended up in the bushes a couple of times. Finally got into some hard pack and got on it again, right until I cut the side wall on my front tire. Again several ADV FF's (different than Friday) pulled up offered help, waved them off and got a tube from the SUPER sweep crew of my buddy Bill Jenkins and his partner Frank. Flat fixed and ride of Beemer hell continued.

By the time I got to section 7, I was happy to take the bail out to Ludlow, gassed up and took the Keliebaker ride to Baker. In Baker got hooked up with John again and the Baker check point said it's 12:30 take the EASY ways for the rest of the ride. Ha-ha, turned right on to the powerline sandwash laugihing ... there is no EASY way this year. We slugged it out for another couple of hours and at almost 3:00 we were hit pavement before the track into Sandy Valley, decided we had had enough and slabbed to Prim and on to the Orleans with a couple of other ADV riders. In the parking lot, and finally done

The great gathering of ADV FF's ... PBR courtesy of John Gil

Had originally planned to ride back with John Gil, but me and my bike were beat. Watching what he did following his spot, probably couldn't have done it anyway. Jnyrav made arrangements to get his truck to Vegas and I as happy to load my bike in and enjoy hte ride home in comfort.

Palmdale start

Vegas finish

This year's LAB2V was a very humbling weekend to say the least. Back to reality for me.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com

bigtodd screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:59 PM
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
next year is the 30th year. it will be extra special.
They have a strange way of counting.

I rode the 3rd one in 1969 and that was 43 years ago.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
They have a strange way of counting.

I rode the 3rd one in 1969 and that was 43 years ago.

Don
That was the race Don, this a the dual sport ride.
Different event.

I rode both days solo this year most of the way, no mechanical issues except my GPS took a dump before Baker on day 2.

Oh well, the first few years I rode this event GPS wasn't available. So, I went by my roll chart and lo and behold I only missed one turn, and that was when I tried to take a shortcut in Lovell Canyon to hit Red Rock before dark.
Luckily we only missed it by a couple of miles and were able to backtrack, find the right turn and make it over the hill in time.

This year's course was pretty demanding, lots of deep sand and long miles, now that I am at home I can say I loved it, but I wasn't loving it so much at the time. Sand, sand and more sand. And then, some sand.

Weather was perfect, great crew, tip of the hat to the peeps at District 37 for putting together yet another year of the best organized "self-guided dual sport tour" in the world.

Thanks
CA Stu

PS The TE 610 eats this ride. Rocks, sand, hills, even the highway on the way home. Saw 88mph on the speedo coming out of the agricultural inspection station.

PPS #12 in the books for me. 2000-2013, the only year I missed it, the ride was on my 40th birthday, and I was miserable the whole time. Never again!

PPPS Love the before and after shots, Todd. Ever consider a KLR?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
1st timer as well. Technically I rode it solo although I never felt solo since I left early and followed the tortoise zone speed limit. Had a flat on the front about 40 miles in on day 1. Fixed that and made it to Barstow with just a small dismount sliding into a deep sand berm to keep things interesting. About 40 miles into day 2 I had a big blowout on my front tire - ended up being an ugly 3/4" gash. Looked like I hit a broken bottle or something. Luckily it was right as we dropped out of the canyon back to the 40 so I managed to shove a bunch of plugs into the gash which let me hold enough air to ride a couple minutes between inflation stops all the way back to Barstow via Route 66. Took forever but I got to Barstow and grabbed a new tire at the Suzuki dealership there. Had it mounted and ready to go about the time that my support crew arrived from OC. Loaded the bike into the truck to try and catch up with the group in Sandy Valley but missed sweep by about 40 minutes. Didn't want to risk being out after dark on an unmarked trail by myself so I just drove the truck into Vegas. Next year the little one will be old enough for me to have my support crew in the area so I'll be prepared with a spare bike or something haha.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
If that's Silvercreek that boat got a lot of love from my 12g!!!
Yep, side trail off Silver Creek....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
gabepari
Throttle Flogger

Oddometer: 86
Fat guys on little bikes

You guys and your "real" dirt bikes You think the sand and rocks were hard? Try it on a 43 year old Honda Trail 90 with tiny little tires and no suspension... Oh and did I mention, only 90cc!!!!

We made it. 434 miles with a total of about 70 miles of pavement. I'm still sore

Yes, I was the idiot that rode a '69 Trail 90 at LAB2V
gabepari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabepari View Post
You guys and your "real" dirt bikes You think the sand and rocks were hard? Try it on a 43 year old Honda Trail 90 with tiny little tires and no suspension... Oh and did I mention, only 90cc!!!!

We made it. 434 miles with a total of about 70 miles of pavement. I'm still sore

I guess it had to be you or your buddy (unless there were other trail 90's out there), but me and my riding partner were stopped working a mechanical issue on the powerline road NE of Baker.

As one of you rode by you yelled out something like "This is a trail 90!!!".

Jokingly I said to my buddy, "I think he was taunting us, should have thrown a rock at him. If we pass him let's roost him."

Hats off to you guys on those bikes.
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
gabepari
Throttle Flogger

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I guess it had to be you or your buddy (unless there were other trail 90's out there), but me and my riding partner were stopped working a mechanical issue on the powerline road NE of Baker.

As one of you rode by you yelled out something like "This is a trail 90!!!".

Jokingly I said to my buddy, "I think he was taunting us, should have thrown a rock at him. If we pass him let's roost him."

Hats off to you guys on those bikes.
You know, I was worried about getting roosted the whole time. Figured there would be a bunch of type A personalities with something to prove BUT, I will have to say, we got nothing but compliments, thumbs up and encouraging words from EVERY rider we came across. This was our first B2V and our first multi hundred mile trek on the 90's. It was an AWESOME experience. The trails were fun, but the people made the event memorable.

See y'all on the trail, though it will be a while before I saddle up the 90 again. I'll be nursing my wounds and riding my te450 for a while

Gabe

Yes, I was the idiot that rode a '69 Trail 90 at LAB2V
gabepari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
minute86
n00b

Oddometer: 4
This was my first LAB2V - I have wanted to do this ride since 1997.. I wished it was one day longer, three days would have been the tits.. La to B to V back 2 B

I borrowed a motorcycle for this ride, mine wasn't ready. Ben, my new riding buddy I had not met before the ride and I set off together on day one. Him on his Xr650R and me on a franken bike.. it was a DR350 frame, a DR250 engine and DR650 forks.

Neither of us broke down or even had a flat.. it was a perfect ride.

I bailed early on day one around 10am to the ER in Palmdale; I'm a dork and I forgot my goggles and passed the chance to buy some. I sat waiting in the ER for 5 and a half hours without being helped so I boogied to Barstow so I could check in for day two. My eye was feeling better or i just didn't care anymore, I wanted to ride.

After checking into the hotel in Barstow I met someone who had a medical background and he offered to clean my eye out. So we cleaned my eye out, got drunk on moonshine and told stories for a bit..

My new buddy and I took off sat morning before sun up and got ahead of the 590 rider dust cloud by riding I-40 for a few miles to lomboc or lomock or however it's spelled.. from there we rode up to the I15 through the sand woops .. I think that was the best part of the ride honestly. We might have skipped better parts but that's the part I liked the best.

We ended up riding side by side together for most of the time, even through the gnarly stuff. I was really pleased it was all working out to be a not only perfect mechanical ride but a near effortless ride with my new buddy, we just clicked.

We skipped baker, went to the lunch chk point, skipped lunch and kept pushing all day long, never stopping for more than ten minutes at a time. We made it to the last part about 2:30pm before Red Rock, so we could do it before dark.. but we decided to throw in the towel and call it a good ride.

We rode into vegas for some beers while it as still daylight; i was hoping to get laid but no such luck. Should have done the last hard split.

We came in 53'rd/54th out of 590, not a bad pace at all considering I only had one eye I could see clearly out of; as long as I didn't have to look over my right shoulder I was good to go.

I rode back from vegas to Barstow on the dirt bike.. it was 10 hours home from there with traffic.

I kept seeing this guy with an American flag on his water pack throughout the ride; he got back to Barstow the same time I did from vegas on Sunday but he rode back through the desert and I took the Hwy; I shook his hand.. cool dude, fast as the wind.

I swear he was lapping us.. maybe we would stop and he would pass and we'd pass and he'd be stopped; but he was riding so fast when he was riding it seemed like he lapped us more than once. Anyone know that guy? Is he an ISDE finisher?

I will be back next year; I'm a D37 convert..
minute86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute86 View Post
I kept seeing this guy with an American flag on his water pack throughout the ride; he got back to Barstow the same time I did from vegas on Sunday but he rode back through the desert and I took the Hwy; I shook his hand.. cool dude, fast as the wind.

I swear he was lapping us.. maybe we would stop and he would pass and we'd pass and he'd be stopped; but he was riding so fast when he was riding it seemed like he lapped us more than once. Anyone know that guy? Is he an ISDE finisher?
Yeah, thats Crazy Larry!
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Yeah, thats Crazy Larry!
Ambrose and I rode into the finish together from Red Rock
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabepari View Post
You know, I was worried about getting roosted the whole time. Figured there would be a bunch of type A personalities with something to prove BUT, I will have to say, we got nothing but compliments, thumbs up and encouraging words from EVERY rider we came across. This was our first B2V and our first multi hundred mile trek on the 90's. It was an AWESOME experience. The trails were fun, but the people made the event memorable.

See y'all on the trail, though it will be a while before I saddle up the 90 again. I'll be nursing my wounds and riding my te450 for a while

Gabe

Different part of the pack I suppose. I got roosted A LOT while doing 30 in the tortoise zones. I'd even get on the shoulder and wave people passed, only to have em cut right and goose it 10 feet in front of me.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,369
Day 1
Started from Palmdale at about 7:30 (late) with CaStu

Kept a quick pace to the first gas stop where we picked up Razr with the first story of mechanical misfortune

Hit the sand whoop section and came across a service team from BMWNA working on BigTodd's beast

Big to Todd for flogging that pig out there.

Got into some trouble in Last Chance canyon, hard to see a clear line with a million freaking rocks!

Ended up getting a rear flat on the way out but luckily Razr was there to assist me in the change in the beating down sun.
No pix I was too tired to even think about it.

Razr was channeling his inner Dakar racer and I hung on for dear life trying to keep up.

I went into a deep ravine way too hot and center punched a large well place rock. Went over the bars and took out my ramm mount for the GPS. No picks only swearing and sucking wind.

Day 1 GPS fix

Hooked up with 1222R, Ami and Roy after lunch and those doods FLY!
Again I was bringing up the rear and eating much dust.

Buddy up for water is the norm in the dez.
:ymca
Got to the hard way split and we lost Roy so me and Razr pushed on over the hard way.
Great views on top

I rode 500 miles through the desert with my hairdresser and I still got hair helmet!

Did some rodeo clowning and took some soil sample but finally made it through with some valuable data.

got to the Husky memorial and found our group again but we were still about 40 mile away from Barstow

We had to haul ass

we got caught in the dark and I swapped ends of the bike and shot clean through a giant cresote bush and directly into the next one. Hard to see put the bike was suspended in the bush

Got to Barstow and ran directly into a bottle of Chianti

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,369
Day 2 started late per usual. Shit I left at 7am and I was one on the last. I was told to go straight to Baker.
Eff that, I headed to Ludlow down the 40 and caught the start of the sand monster there.

This was a special section for me because back in '09 I was on the 990 and it was not so much fun.

Throttle is the steering and clutch is the brake, got it .

This time was a BLAST on the Husaberg. I just flew over those dunes and whoops what a huge difference.

Notice the Day 2 GPS fix

Got to Rasor rd gas to see the high fashion Deux Machina doods posing for the pappers

I give them 95 pts for style

Cooling down the Berg. It ran like a $10 whore from a crooked cop!

Rode the pole line to Baker for a microwaved burrito, known to be on olympic training tables.

Hit the sandwashes again

This was a deep sand s-curved wash that claimed a few riders

this was also were I broke down in '09

Got to sandy valley and gulped down lunch where I hooked up agian with Stu.
Don't be fooled by Stu, he is a very fast rider

got turned around on the trail but finally got back on track to Redrock.
I thought Redrock was a pleasant senic finish to a long ride but I was sorely mistaken.

If it weren't for Stu I would still be out there!

All in all a fantastic ride. The key is to start early! don't screw around keep on it all day.
I was on a brand new bike with brand new gear so I was having a hard time getting adjusted to the whole new package.

I got so much help from my buddies that I would not have finished both days without 'em . I just hope I didn't slow you guys down too much.
I ended up doing most the whole course except for the headstart in Ludlow. I give much respect to those who did the entire roll chart, some of those sections were hard.

The sections weren't all that hard per se, but string it together in a 2 day 500 mile run and its gets more challenging.
My biggest problem was exhaustion and being able to do push-up, leg lifts, read the roll chart and ride the bike at the same time.

BTW, get the best protection you can, it served me well and I would have easily broken my shoulder and/or broken my ankle had I not been up armored.

The worse was having my room at the other end of the hallway after barely being able to get off the bike.

LAB2V 2013, whose IN!

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote