Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #49456
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Holy f*kn shit batman......

Well at least you got youth on your side to heal up fast, your 21 right?

Having had a few broken bones over the decades myself, the one thing you want to do right away is get full range of movement as soon as possible.

Be sure to post your story over in faceplant forum, they'll give you pointers for rehab info.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

correct! though I have no idea how long im gonna be like this. I have a doc appointment this coming Thursday to check up on my recovery and he will be able to give an estimate on how long I have to wear all these braces and crap and give me an idea if I will make a full recovery or will i walk with a limp for the rest of my life or be in pain etc. I have indeed hired an experienced lawyer whos gonna help take care of this for me but thats all i can say on that for now. in the mean time i just gotta lay in bed, surf the web every once in a while, and eat and sleep. it may sound like every mans dream but believe me, this sucks.
Sub Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #49457
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
in the mean time i just gotta lay in bed, surf the web every once in a while, and eat and sleep. it may sound like every mans dream but believe me, this sucks.

I know what you mean, a few years ago I crushed my foot with a steel beam, took few surgeries and still have a few bone fragments floating around in my toes, after about the fourth day after leaving the hospital I was working on figuring out a way to ride it, a week later I took it to my first checkup, then back to work with my crutches and cast and all, technically since I was'nt able to work being on comp, I volunteered 4 weeks sitting in front of the water jet machine lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #49458
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Crashing sucks. Yours sounds particularly horrible/painful.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and take that cage wrangler for all he is worth and will be worth. Long term this kind of trauma can show up in aches, pains and limited mobility that can really effect your quality of life. Hopefully the effects will be minimal and the insurance company and legal system will do right by you.

God's Speed in your recovery !!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #49459
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,599
Sorry to hear the crappy new Sub Zero, heal fast man !!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #49460
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Im waiting on Yamaha to release a WR450R. thats where my moneys gonna go!!
I traded my WR450F for the XRL. If I could have plated that WR I'd probably still have it, well if I could have found a more comfortable seat
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #49461
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
But what about the tiny spots of daylight that show through the filter?
Honda OEM for me Bay Bee!

Paper is cheap and paper filters work well and last quite a while, IF they aren't ridden in the dust. Paper's depth of filtering sucks. Once they become clogged the flow plummets. Foam and oil is more maintenance intensive, expensive and messy, but it can take way more dirt before flow falls off. That's why OEM street bikes don't use them, it's just isn't needed. Dirt bikes are maintenance whores, so use what works maintenance be damned (see MX bikes). K & N falls somewhere in-between. They all work well, but some have better applications than others. I use a foam, paper and paper and oil hybrid filter of my own design that kicks all others' asses.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #49462
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
this is a message to everybody to ride safe and to always stay alert out there both on and offroad. I was riding my dads XT225 to work one day (since my XR650L had been stolen from me about 2 weeks prior) and was driving down a 2 lane back road that has big houses with cow pastures on both sides, (speed limit on that road is 35 which is what i was doing)

when i came out of an S bend some kid in a 2010 camero traveling in the opposite lane abruptly cut his car RIGHT across my lane to pull into a driveway. there was absolutely nothing i could do but hit his car since it happened so quickly. it was practically a head on collision. anyway the bike is totaled; header smashed, massive hole punched right into the crank case, frame bent, forks snapped in 2 etc. and the front of the camero looked like hell.

ME on the other hand.... I suffered 3 cracked bones in my spinal column, (thank GOD the spinal cord wasn't affected or i wouldn't be riding again for the rest of my life) a dislocated shoulder, broke my arm, wrist, and thumb, my knee exploded, and broke my femur in half and am missing 3 inches from it. (part of the bone stuck out my thigh and apparently 3 inches of it is missing). nobody knew until i had surgery on it a few hours after the accident. I had to be air lifted from the accident and needed 8 units of blood to be kept alive. (the body only holds 12 units)

I was wearing a helmet, jeans, shoes, and gloves and if it wasnt for the helmet i would have been dead. there is a gash about 4 inches long going right across the top of the helmet where it had struck the pavement. thanks to that helmet I have no head trauma whatsoever! I also never lost conscious during the whole thing

Im doing alright now, having to wear braces on my spine and leg and wrist and use either a walker or wheelchair to get around my house. im having more surgery on my leg to have a bone graft of some kind on my femur where the 3 inches are missing from it and more surgery on my arm to have my iron brace and pins removed from my wrist and thumb. im recovering at home but in a shitload of pain, even though the docs got me on shitloads of Oxycontin.

this should inspire you guys to stay alert and ride as defensive as you can as this kinda shit can happen to anybody! I will confirm though that the instant I'm able to ride again, I will be back on a bike. (hopefully another XR!) and im also writing to confirm im alive and still kickin! anyways, keep on the lookout for dickheads on the road because there are alot of them out there!

Fuck man. Heal up dude. I wish you well in the months ahead.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #49463
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Hey Sub I am sorry to hear that. Speedy recovery.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #49464
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
this is a message to everybody to ride safe and to always stay alert out there both on and offroad.

Holy crap man I'm glad you're still with us. That royally sucks!!!!

I hope you heal up quick.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #49465
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Anyone??
I know that the 600R throttle and cables will NOT fit. They are close but no cigar.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #49466
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
this is a message to everybody to ride safe and to always stay alert out there both on and offroad. I was riding my dads XT225 to work one day (since my XR650L had been stolen from me about 2 weeks prior) and was driving down a 2 lane back road that has big houses with cow pastures on both sides, (speed limit on that road is 35 which is what i was doing)

when i came out of an S bend some kid in a 2010 camero traveling in the opposite lane abruptly cut his car RIGHT across my lane to pull into a driveway. there was absolutely nothing i could do but hit his car since it happened so quickly. it was practically a head on collision. anyway the bike is totaled; header smashed, massive hole punched right into the crank case, frame bent, forks snapped in 2 etc. and the front of the camero looked like hell.

ME on the other hand.... I suffered 3 cracked bones in my spinal column, (thank GOD the spinal cord wasn't affected or i wouldn't be riding again for the rest of my life) a dislocated shoulder, broke my arm, wrist, and thumb, my knee exploded, and broke my femur in half and am missing 3 inches from it. (part of the bone stuck out my thigh and apparently 3 inches of it is missing). nobody knew until i had surgery on it a few hours after the accident. I had to be air lifted from the accident and needed 8 units of blood to be kept alive. (the body only holds 12 units)...

I'm very sorry to hear of your accident, Zero. I will pray for your quick and complete recovery. Hang in there; we are all rooting for you. I hope your lawyer gets you complete justice and full compensation for all your material losses, medical bills, loss of wages, and all your pain and suffering.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #49467
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
correct! though I have no idea how long im gonna be like this. I have a doc appointment this coming Thursday to check up on my recovery and he will be able to give an estimate on how long I have to wear all these braces and crap and give me an idea if I will make a full recovery or will i walk with a limp for the rest of my life or be in pain etc. I have indeed hired an experienced lawyer whos gonna help take care of this for me but thats all i can say on that for now. in the mean time i just gotta lay in bed, surf the web every once in a while, and eat and sleep. it may sound like every mans dream but believe me, this sucks.
Subzero, heal up quick and do every bit of what your PT tells you, plus more! You are young, take care of yourself and you will heal up well. Think positive and think of us, we're all rooting for you.

I had a head on with a Chevy Tahoe two years ago on a 26 ft. wide forest road. I went around a right hand blind apex and some dumb ass was talking to his passenger and driving like he was an Englishman. I skidded to my left, then throttled to cross the the left. At the same time he turned to his right (fuckin' thanks, a little late). When I knew a collision was imminent, I jumped off the pegs and pushed off the handle bars with everything I was worth. I flew on his his hood, hit his window and then sailed 40 ft. down the road. I was lucky to escape with some contusions of the kidneys and bruised ribs. My bike was totaled, however. Initially, my insurance company (same as his BTW) wanted to 50/50 the accident because of no police report, but my friends and I took plenty of pictures at the scene and then went back months latter and took some more with video and a tape measure. I was riding less than a foot from the drainage ditch and had evidence to support that, the skid etc. California law says you are supposed to drive/ride on the left-hand most side of the road–dirt, yellow line or otherwise. Cal-trans standard for a lane is 11ft. I used 12 inches of my 11 ft. and won the case. Be careful boys!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #49468
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
WOW.
You’re preaching to the choir with me! But thanks. I hope you make a complete and quick recovery.
My buddy came to see me this weekend; he rode all the way across Houston, some 45 miles, without a helmet. I could not beg him to take one of mine for the ride home. I just don’t get it. How can people be so silly as to not wear at least a helmet, sturdy shoes, and gloves when they ride a motorcycle? How can the lawmakers allow it! Hell you could fall over drunk at a stop sign and cut your hand or crack your head open. But that’s another subject. Beer anyone?

This is to illustrate the mentality of the helmetless motorcyclist:

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:10 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #49469
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,440
Subzero

Get well soon

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #49470
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
But what about the tiny spots of daylight that show through the filter?
Honda OEM for me Bay Bee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Paper is cheap and paper filters work well and last quite a while, IF they aren't ridden in the dust. Paper's depth of filtering sucks. Once they become clogged the flow plummets. Foam and oil is more maintenance intensive, expensive and messy, but it can take way more dirt before flow falls off. That's why OEM street bikes don't use them, it's just isn't needed. Dirt bikes are maintenance whores, so use what works maintenance be damned (see MX bikes). K & N falls somewhere in-between. They all work well, but some have better applications than others. I use a foam, paper and paper and oil hybrid filter of my own design that kicks all others' asses.
I agree with Fritz; paper air filters work great. The paper filters block dirt extremely well, and also allow excellent air flow. That's why paper air filters are used in construction equipment, automobiles, et cetera. I also agree with Teach. In very dusty environments, paper air filters clog much more quickly than foam filters, which is why most dirt bikes come equipped with foam air filters. However, most petroleum filter oils are very goopy, and restrict air flow more than paper air filters. Also, petroleum filter oils are very messy to apply and clean.

I am very pleased with the excellent air flow, low maintenance, and low cost of using No-Toil Evolution filter oil with my Uni air filters. No-Toil Evolution is a vegetable oil, and is far less goopy than petroleum filter oils. The Evolution filter oil is very tacky, and stops all the dirt. However, the Evolution filter oil is easily distributed throughout the air filter, and allows much greater air flow than the goopy, petroleum filter oils. It only takes $1 worth of Evolution filter oil to thoroughly saturate my Uni air filter. Also, I can clean my air filters in the kitchen sink with 16 cents worth of Oxi-Clean powder.

I am completely sold on the new, No-Toil Evolution filter oil. I won't go back to petroleum filter oils. No-Toil Evolution allows greater air flow, less maintenace, and less expense than goopy, messy, petroleum filter oils.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote