Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
I would place water treatment into two catagories. One to filter out crud and two to kill partistes.

When hiking in low elevation areas I ususualy carry a filter. I too use the sweet water filter. THough I have broken it before and it has left em without water.

When hiking at hiker elevations when the water will msot likey be free of cows dropping their loads I use polar pure. It is iodine, but you pour in an iodine solution. There is solid iodine balls, looks like bb's, you add water and make the solution in the bottle. Pour out as many cap fulls as the water temps determines the solutions concentration. I also evaluate the waters purity and consider how many cap fulls to fill. This is a great way to chemicily treat your water as it leaves very little bad taste.

This is what I carry if I am traveling to countries of questionable water quaqlity. THough if I am in such a country I will jsut buy bottled water.
http://www.polarequipment.com/directions.htm
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Looks like the DEA has outlawed the sale of iodine. Polar pure is not able to make its product. Maybe some stores still have some back stock.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
shu

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Traveling means clear water, right? Steri-Pen all the way then!

Yup......very quick, easy, reliable. Stop anywhere, fill your bottle from a tap, 90 seconds later........ clean drinkable water.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
The wife and I do a fair amount of backpacking (PA, NY, ME, MT) and have used http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aqu...reatment-drops for years. Available at EMS and REI...

We've never gotten sick from bad water and the taste is actually not bad...very slight chloring taste...not as bad as some tap water I've had. That being said, we've always been in the mountains and had some sort of availability to mountain streams or small brooks where you could get clear water.

If I were headed into a situation where I didn't know what the water sources were going to be like, I'd buy a filtration device...we have an old Katadyn model that was really cool since the end spout fit perfectly into the top of a Nalgene bottle. It was super slow, but you could filter water from a puddle in the middle of the cow pasture and probably not get sick....not that I'd try, but I read it on the internet...must be true!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

Yup......very quick, easy, reliable. Stop anywhere, fill your bottle from a tap, 90 seconds later........ clean drinkable water.

...........shu

Steripens are great and tough as nails.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Depending on where you travel you'd probably want the AA battery Steripen. The batteries don't last as long as some of the other options but it's probably easier to get AA batteries in the middle of Egypt say than 123A batteries.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #22
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Isn't chlorine dioxide pretty much without taste? I have it at home, but never had the need to use it yet. It comes as a liquid as well as tablets, should be easy enough to bring with you.
Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
TheSweatyButcher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I pack a MSR Moix water purifier. It makes chlorine with salt and battery power. Its small, super handy and can make enough chlorine for up to 6 liters of water at a time. But most of the time when out and about I buy Big jugs of water for a buck or two.
TheSweatyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote