ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Map s/w on both Mac and PC?

Haven't found this question asked anywhere yet so...

I have a new Montana 600 on the way in addition to the Topo 24 and the City Navigator maps in DVD. I know the s/w works on either Mac or PC but am curious if I can install everything on both a Mac and PC at the same time. My Mac is my primary system but it's a desktop (MacPro) but I have a PC laptop for activities away from the desk. I would like to be able to connect to the Montana (and use the maps) from both systems.

I think the mapping s/w is linked/keyed to the GPS and not to the Mac/PC so it won't care which system I'm on and I can install the maps on both the Mac and PC but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?

I really don't want to have to choose between one or the other.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodButcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 1,972
Sure, I have mine on a Mac, a PC and a Windows virtual machine on my Mac.
__________________
Rusty

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Great. Thanks Rusty.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Well apparently not. I installed the City Navigator map first on my (PC) laptop but when I try to install (actually install works fine) and try to unlock the map on the Mac it says the "Product Kay has already been consumed".

I would really rather have it on the Mac if I can only have it on one.

I guess I'll have to call Garmin.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Are you using Garmin Basecamp?

Once the maps are installed on the GPS, BC will see them upon start-up. BC can read maps that are installed either on the GPS and/or the computer.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Are you using Garmin Basecamp?

Once the maps are installed on the GPS, BC will see them upon start-up. BC can read maps that are installed either on the GPS and/or the computer.

daryl
OK, thanks. Yes I am using Basecamp but I haven't actually installed either of the 2 map products (City Nav. & Topo 24) on the Montana yet. The 16GB class 10 microSD cards are supposed to be here today and I was waiting for them to load the maps.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
OK, thanks. Yes I am using Basecamp but I haven't actually installed either of the 2 map products (City Nav. & Topo 24) on the Montana yet. The 16GB class 10 microSD cards are supposed to be here today and I was waiting for them to load the maps.
Your off to a good start.

I use the microSD card in my 62s to store my gps projects and maps. This allows me to have BC installed on two desktops and a netbook. I move freely between them as needed, the Backup/Restore function in BC makes it all happen. I have no idea how well it will work between two different computer systems.

Keep in mind, the Montana will only read up to 4GB of map data in a single file. Maps installed on the computer can be transferred to the gps using 'MapInstall'. The result is a single image file that's placed inside the 'Garmin' directory on either the gps or the microSD card. The newer generation units like the 62s and the Montana allow you to rename the resulting 'gmapsupp.img' file to something more descriptive like 'SouthCentralUS.img'. This way you can have multiple *.img files loaded.

When you get the microSD card, you'll need to create two directories, one named 'Garmin' and another inside that named 'GPX'. The 'Garmin' directory is where you can put your maps, (SouthCentralUS.img file) and the 'GPX' directory is where you can drag and drop your *.gpx files. You can use the rest of the card to store manuals, photos, pdf files, anything you want too. Feel free to abuse the Montana as a usb drive.

This Montana Site might help.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 04:37 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Thanks Daryl, yes I have been using Atlas Cached's Wiki site quite a bit (even donated to his cause for all the info he provided) but until I actually play with the Montana it's a little tough for me to grasp. I'm working on it though. It's a little different than the (previous) GPSMap76 and (3) Nuvi's I currently have though.

Worked with Garmin this AM to get access to the CN map on the Mac, about the only thing we did was allow the system to update Basecamp (a popup stated a update was available, I did not get that last night for some reason or I would have updated it then) and then it was able to "see" 5 copies of CN that it did not find before. Garmin suggested leaving the older copies of CN on the system as they are most likely used for the Nuvi's.

However, one question on transferring maps, using MapInstall now to install the latest CN on the Montana. As suggested before I'm installing CN on the Montana itself and will install Topo24 on the microSD card. It's easy to get it to load CN on the Montana internal memory by just removing the microSD card but when I first tried it (w/ SD card still installed) I didn't see a way to designate the map install to go to the Montana internal memory or the microSD card? When I install Topo24 is it going to finish using up the space on the internal memory or will it decide to load it onto the memory card by itself?

The reason I would like to designate the map designation is I would like to create a backup microSD card to keep w/ the Montana in case the primary maps get corrupted. (this was suggested in a previous thread)
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
T
However, one question on transferring maps, using MapInstall now to install the latest CN on the Montana. As suggested before I'm installing CN on the Montana itself and will install Topo24 on the microSD card. It's easy to get it to load CN on the Montana internal memory by just removing the microSD card but when I first tried it (w/ SD card still installed) I didn't see a way to designate the map install to go to the Montana internal memory or the microSD card? When I install Topo24 is it going to finish using up the space on the internal memory or will it decide to load it onto the memory card by itself?
With the microSD installed in the Montana, and when MapInstall opens, it searchs for the device. The device window has a drop down arrow next to it, it should show the gps (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card). That's where your map will end up. At least that's' where it ends up on my 62s. Without the microSD card installed, the map gets sent to the 62s's internal memory. The map file takes the name of the map set your using.

I hope that all made sense. Now if my 62s will just DIE, so I can get me a Montana.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
With the microSD installed in the Montana, and when MapInstall opens, it searchs for the device. The device window has a drop down arrow next to it, it should show the gps (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card). That's where your map will end up. At least that's' where it ends up on my 62s. Without the microSD card installed, the map gets sent to the 62s's internal memory. The map file takes the name of the map set your using.

I hope that all made sense. Now if my 62s will just DIE, so I can get me a Montana.

daryl
Yes, it made sense but I would like to clarify.
I did see (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card) with the SD card installed, your saying in this situation the map transfer will automatically default to the SD card? If so, that's great, anytime I want to put anything on the Montana itself I just remove the SD card.

Sorry for the noob questions, I know there are several resources on this but I just cant seem to find the answers I'm looking for.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
I did see (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card) with the SD card installed, your saying in this situation the map transfer will automatically default to the SD card? If so, that's great, anytime I want to put anything on the Montana itself I just remove the SD card.
There's no need to remove the SD card.

Think of the Montana like a removable usb drive and the installed SD card as another. Transfer anything you want to either by dragging and dropping files. Any maps you want the Montana to see are stored in the 'Garmin' directory with a *.img file extension. Any files containing waypoints, tracks and routes you want the Montana to see are placed in the 'Garmin/GPX' directory with a *.gpx file extension.

Using Basecamp you can create a new 'List' that contains all the waypoints, tracks and routes for a single trip you might be planning. You might name the list 'RideUtah'. After your done planning in BC, right click on that list and a window will open. Select 'Export', you can export (save) the list contents to a location of your choosing. Place it in the 'Garmin SD (?:) Garmin/GPX' directory on the microSD card in the gps. The file will take the name of the list with a *.gpx file extension (i.e.RideUtah.gpx). The file is a neat grouping of a set of related items. Upon bootup the Montana will load the file.

To help cut clutter, you might create a new folder on the SD card called 'My GPS Rides/Utah' and drag and drop the 'RideUtah.gpx' file there when you no longer wish to see or use it. I created and use a directory called 'My OSM Maps' to store various country maps, *.img files, that I'm not using. I don't need the gps or BC to load a map of Peru if I'm riding in Missouri.

I hope that made sense.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 03:58 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Made sense Daryl, thanks.
So if I want to put a map in a specific location I just treat the Montana/SD card as a std. USB device(s) and copy/paste the maps/files where I want them.

Thanks again!

One last question from your comment
Quote:
" I created and use a directory called 'My OSM Maps' to store various country maps, *.img files, that I'm not using. I don't need the gps or BC to load a map of Peru if I'm riding in Missouri."
If you decided you wanted to access the Peru map is there a way to tell the Montana to access it in your "My OSM Maps" folder directly from the Montana device or would you need access to a PC like device to move that map back into the Montana maps folder? Just curious.
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
So if I want to put a map in a specific location I just treat the Montana/SD card as a std. USB device(s) and copy/paste the maps/files where I want them.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
One last question from your comment
If you decided you wanted to access the Peru map is there a way to tell the Montana to access it in your "My OSM Maps" folder directly from the Montana device or would you need access to a PC like device to move that map back into the Montana maps folder? Just curious.
Using any PC I just drag and drop it into the 'Garmin' directory.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
There's no need to remove the SD card.

Think of the Montana like a removable usb drive and the installed SD card as another. Transfer anything you want to either by dragging and dropping files. Any maps you want the Montana to see are stored in the 'Garmin' directory with a *.img file extension. Any files containing waypoints, tracks and routes you want the Montana to see are placed in the 'Garmin/GPX' directory with a *.gpx file extension.

Using Basecamp you can create a new 'List' that contains all the waypoints, tracks and routes for a single trip you might be planning. You might name the list 'RideUtah'. After your done planning in BC, right click on that list and a window will open. Select 'Export', you can export (save) the list contents to a location of your choosing. Place it in the 'Garmin SD (?:) Garmin/GPX' directory on the microSD card in the gps. The file will take the name of the list with a *.gpx file extension (i.e.RideUtah.gpx). The file is a neat grouping of a set of related items. Upon bootup the Montana will load the file.

To help cut clutter, you might create a new folder on the SD card called 'My GPS Rides/Utah' and drag and drop the 'RideUtah.gpx' file there when you no longer wish to see or use it. I created and use a directory called 'My OSM Maps' to store various country maps, *.img files, that I'm not using. I don't need the gps or BC to load a map of Peru if I'm riding in Missouri.

I hope that made sense.

daryl
One can certainly do GPX file drag&drop into the Montana's/µSDCard storage. BUT, if you do that you will negate the optimization that BaseCamp will do with your data when it transfers it to the Montana. If you just do drag&drop of GPX files you will also create duplicates in the Waypoint Manager of any Waypoints that you have used in Routes.

I recommend using BaseCamp to do data transfer to the Montana and allow the system to works as designed. Map's on the other hand, once in IMG format, can be copied to the Montana or µSD card without issue as long as you have any necessary unlock codes also copied.

All of these questions and more have been discussed in the Montana thread.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
One can certainly do GPX file drag&drop into the Montana's/µSDCard storage. BUT, if you do that you will negate the optimization that BaseCamp will do with your data when it transfers it to the Montana. If you just do drag&drop of GPX files you will also create duplicates in the Waypoint Manager of any Waypoints that you have used in Routes.

I recommend using BaseCamp to do data transfer to the Montana and allow the system to works as designed. Map's on the other hand, once in IMG format, can be copied to the Montana or µSD card without issue as long as you have any necessary unlock codes also copied.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
All of these questions and more have been discussed in the Montana thread.
At 404 pgs it's like looking for a needle in a haystack though....
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014