Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #2596
DaniGAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Getting ready for the longest day ride that is coming up on the 21st of December. Took my bike for a test ride today, it was bloody crankin. very short ride. got home to find oil over the whole ass end of the bike, sump was empty, coming home I thought it started to get off note, found the front sprocket shaft seal popped out. Only a new one. Lets hope the heads allright, ( cam tunnels ).

Cheers Fogo...
good luck and hit FULL GASSS!!!
DaniGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #2597
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
The chain to tight, happed me once all oil over the back 60 mm under 55mm to tight above 65 too loose.
And that was between 50 and 55, measured just behind the chainrubber.

Hope all is okay,

wish you a good ride, spot on. hope you make it this time.
Head OK, Spare hot set of cams fitted, pulling harder up to 150 kph then running out of puff, might lower the gearing from a 15/42 to a 14/41. Top just seems to be too high for these cams but you yan knock it back to 4th gear and climb past 150kph.

Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #2598
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Picked up the bike on the right for $800, runs pretty good with only a few simple adjustments, added new tires (came with bike but not mounted),bars, controls , chain and sprockets. I also have and will add street legal lighting kit (included with bike), hand guards,fork seals(came with it too) trail tech and make another rear rack, so far less than $1100 total into it.

Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #2599
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

[QUOTE=Matified;20222760]Picked up the bike on the right for $800, runs pretty good with only a few simple adjustments, added new tires (came with bike but not mounted),bars, controls , chain and sprockets. I also have and will add street legal lighting kit (included with bike), hand guards,fork seals(came with it too) trail tech and make another rear rack, so far less than $1100 total into it.

Yep, their getting cheap, no one wants them
Dont buy spares, just buy a whole bike.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #2600
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
The chain to tight, happed me once all oil over the back 60 mm under 55mm to tight above 65 too loose.
And that was between 50 and 55, measured just behind the chainrubber.

Hope all is okay,

wish you a good ride, spot on. hope you make it this time.

I don't know if I've ever seen a chain "too loose" with only a 10mm difference in play.

Considering how loose most MX bikes have, a ton of play in them and no problems, I'd definitely err to the loose side... and I do. Seems it must prevent some "stretch" (aka wear due to pulling on the pins and rollers), since I seldom need chain adjustment. Never had a chain even remotely come close to derailing either.

The way I figured out what I actually needed I used on both my KLX and Zephyr... I compressed the rear until the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle were roughly in-line and adjusted for maybe 10-15 mm play, then released the suspension and checked the play I had. You see, I actually broke a chain on my Zephyr from running it too tight. Haven't had a problem since doing it right... seems the chain looks loose and sloppy on both bikes when set right. But I'll take it.. again neither have needed any sort of chain adjustment for literally a few thousand miles and still not yet.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #2601
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Its on this Friday

Righto then, Guys, for you who missed it last year, I will be going in the Longest day ride again which starts this Friday the 21st December 2012.

The ride is an unorganised ride that races the sun across the state of NSW Australia. About 10 - 12 guys do it a year, small number due to the time being very close to Christmas and HOT and insane.
The unwritten rules are to start on the East coast of NSW and take all dirt roads unless unavoidable, (tar in the way to get back on the dirt)
So the 21st of Dec is the longest day of the year with the most amount of sunlight. We will leave the ocean at Sunrise approx 5:40am and head west. The plan is to make it to a town where the 3 states of Australia meet, called Cameron Corner, about 1500 klms, some guys in the past have gotten a long way past that. The time to stop is when the offical sunset time is, 8:00 pm.
Last year I only got half way due to it raining and turning the road to soap. Some of the Black soil plains over here stop anything with rain, real sticky stuff. It clogged up my mates KTM950 rear wheel last year and stalled the engine. Many Australia fury animals like to run out in front of you like Kangaroo's and Emu. Hit one at 150 and you will be seriously Phucked up.
My SPOT tracker will be on, the link to that is at the bottom of my page in bright green.
Check out the thread in the Australian site, The Longest Day 2012. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750847

Remember, Eastern Australian time

A KLX has never made it before, I want to get this bitch out there parked between all those KTM knobs.

Come on old girl, don't let my down on Friday. I have 3 fuel tanks plumbed in, 36 litres and the bike is running at about 16 klms to the litre. so should be able to make only 3 fuel stops not 7 like others do. But loaded with fuel will see me slow through the first stage of the forest.

Pray for a clear passage for me and a safe return.

Lets see if we can turn back the clock and get this mighty model of the KLX to rule the desert once again.

Cheers Fogo...

Fogo72 screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 09:55 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #2602
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
H2O kawasaki

http://www.deltaworld.org/sport/Bric...-of-the-Dakar/

I have built a bike that works with a little gasoline and the rest water.
The vehicle, ensures, “works without carburetor or injector, with a sort of presurizador and a reactor, and consumes water, beer or any liquid that you throw him.”
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #2603
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Righto then, Guys, for you who missed it last year, I will be going in the Longest day ride again which starts this Friday the 21st December 2012.

The ride is an unorganised ride that races the sun across the state of NSW Australia. About 10 - 12 guys do it a year, small number due to the time being very close to Christmas and HOT and insane.
The unwritten rules are to start on the East coast of NSW and take all dirt roads unless unavoidable, (tar in the way to get back on the dirt)
So the 21st of Dec is the longest day of the year with the most amount of sunlight. We will leave the ocean at Sunrise approx 5:40am and head west. The plan is to make it to a town where the 3 states of Australia meet, called Cameron Corner, about 1500 klms, some guys in the past have gotten a long way past that. The time to stop is when the offical sunset time is, 8:00 pm.
Last year I only got half way due to it raining and turning the road to soap. Some of the Black soil plains over here stop anything with rain, real sticky stuff. It clogged up my mates KTM950 rear wheel last year and stalled the engine. Many Australia fury animals like to run out in front of you like Kangaroo's and Emu. Hit one at 150 and you will be seriously Phucked up.
My SPOT tracker will be on, the link to that is at the bottom of my page in bright green.
Check out the thread in the Australian site, The Longest Day 2012. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750847

Remember, Eastern Australian time

A KLX has never made it before, I want to get this bitch out there parked between all those KTM knobs.

Come on old girl, don't let my down on Friday. I have 3 fuel tanks plumbed in, 36 litres and the bike is running at about 16 klms to the litre. so should be able to make only 3 fuel stops not 7 like others do. But loaded with fuel will see me slow through the first stage of the forest.

Pray for a clear passage for me and a safe return.

Lets see if we can turn back the clock and get this mighty model of the KLX to rule the desert once again.

Cheers Fogo...
Good luck and kick some KTM butt!!!!!!
I'm a former 1993 KLX650C owner.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #2604
nejauks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quietly we have.))
My cam chain rattled. I opened the engine and measure the chain. Chain is OK!. But broke the chain tensioner plate. Repaired it electric welding. .
* My bike has no decompressor. But the details I had. Assembled in working order it. Restored the gap. Not yet installed, and not to go. Ahead is the Christmas weekend... To be continued.
Why there are several versions of the decompressor? - http://i.imgur.com/rFcRN.jpg -)))
(I do not know how to insert pictures ) Link --- http://klxclub.ru/showthread.php?t=4...ll=1#post20770 --

nejauks screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 07:24 AM
nejauks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #2605
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tXmJaepmRRY

Fogo72 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 05:53 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #2606
nejauks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejauks View Post
Quietly we have.))
My cam chain rattled. I opened the engine and measure the chain. Chain is OK!. But broke the chain tensioner plate. Repaired it electric welding. .
* My bike has no decompressor. But the details I had. Assembled in working order it. Restored the gap. Not yet installed, and not to go. Ahead is the Christmas weekend... To be continued.
Why there are several versions of the decompressor? - http://i.imgur.com/rFcRN.jpg -)))
(I do not know how to insert pictures ) Link --- http://klxclub.ru/showthread.php?t=4...ll=1#post20770 --
Assembled camshafts mechanism.. Can not set the mechanism marks perfectly. I have the crankshaft and camshafts mismatch of about 5 degrees.
Pressed kick with restored decompressor - the difference is small.
I not start the engine . In the engine not oil. Silicone sealant was not ready
-- http://klxclub.ru/showthread.php?t=4...ll=1#post20815 --

nejauks screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 07:37 AM
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #2607
Matje
Matje

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Assembled camshafts mechanism.. Can not set the mechanism marks perfectly. I have the crankshaft and camshafts mismatch of about 5 degrees.
Pressed kick with restored decompressor - the difference is small.
I not start the engine . In the engine not oil. Silicone sealant was not ready
-- http://klxclub.ru/showthread.php?t=4...ll=1#post20815 --

Nejauks,

There are more reports about this problem.
Probably the lower chain is shifted by one tooth (you can calculate this is about 5 degrees).
My previous engine had it some time. I drove with it without problems.
It is difficult to adjust this lower chain.
Matje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #2608
nejauks
Gnarly Adventurer

I understand the connection to the lower chain, but I did not get set properly.Made many attempts, but the result is not received.
Now I think - should be more tensioner taut lower chain. And then start working with the top chain. (If this is the problem)

nejauks screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 08:52 AM
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #2609
nejauks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matje View Post
nejauks,

there are more reports about this problem.
Probably the lower chain is shifted by one tooth (you can calculate this is about 5 degrees).
My previous engine had it some time. I drove with it without problems.
It is difficult to adjust this lower chain.
Where this cherished theme and how to fight it? )) .. Thanks ...
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #2610
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
I understand the connection to the lower chain, but I did not get set properly.Made many attempts, but the result is not received.
Now I think - should be more tensioner taut lower chain. And then start working with the top chain. (If this is the problem)

Do you have a manual? It has a good explanation with pictures of how the chains go on. You can get access to a view of the bottom chain, you need to take the side cover off. Did you mess with it?

Many things are possible. You may have a stretched chain. The upper chain looks easier to stretch than the lower. Either chain or both could be off a tooth. There are marks on the flywheel, the chain and the case to get the bottom one aligned. My bottom chain did not have a mark, so you need to count links.

Unless the upper chain is loose, more tension won't solve your problem. Though there is a bottom tensioner, it is the top one that does all the work.

The bottom of upper chain guide, that the tensioner pushes against, fits behind the top of the lower guide. I don't know if it can go any other way, but check to be sure.

When you apply tension to the top chain via the guide, it applies pressure to the lower one too.

When I installed a manual tensioner, I gave finger pressure plus a little more because I could not get rid of the rattle. A few turns more resulted in an audible pop and all was well.

In my case, my timing marks were right on and I just think some how there was some binding between the two chain guides that resolved itself.

2,000 miles later, so nothing got broke.