Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Avner OP
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Known New-Style Starter Switch Problem 2013 F800GS

This is not related to the starting issue thread, so I opened a new one for others to be aware of this:

I traded in my Sertao a month ago for a new 2013 F800GS (LOVE IT!), and I only got 800 miles on it.

This morning was the second time I experienced this issue: I turned the key on and waited for the gauges cycle to finish, and hit the starter button: NOTHING. Not a click or a sound. Bike is in Neutral, and the side stand is up. I have the ADVMonster volt-meter installed so I can see 12.5VDC of power available. Tried a few more times until it finally clicked and as soon as the starter was running the bike started with no problems. This morning it was 35f, but last time it was in the 50's.

Long story short - I called the dealer and they say it is a known issue with the new-style switch, where it is actually engaging the kill-switch at the same time you push the starter button. I just got my oil and filter to do my 600-mile service, but now I have to go to the dealer for them to change the switch anyway. Needless to say - this will be replaced at no cost.

Avner screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:34 AM
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote