User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #466
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Helpers in training

These four clung to me like glue the entire 4 and a half hours begging for money

Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #467
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
Dwight with the helpers or kids that are annoying you, just say "vete!" (vetay) it means go, but it translates a little harsher than that - this is what my maestra (teacher) told me to say, as its very easy to remember...

but again read my RR remember the details or get them printed and then pay me $260 as your invisible helper when you get on the boat

just as an FYI when you get further south in costa rica, most places take dollars as well and give a 490 to 1 exchange rate (offical is 500) they will come at you with a calculator, be 100% with the calculation, guys in gas stations have been known to rip people off with quick fingers...if in doubt ask to use the calculator and do it yourself, if you have a garmin 660 there is one on the unit
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #468
Kedgi OP
Banned

Pictures from yesterday and border

Here are a bunch of pictures. Lets get back on track

I met these two nice guys when I stopped for breakfast on my way to the border, through Chiapas Mexico

They were Chiapas version of Hot Rodders

Then I hit the border. The following will illustrate the scene at the crossing. All these pictures are from a no mans land between the two countries

I was charged the equivalent of about 12 bucks to park in this lot for four and a half hours

Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #469
Kedgi OP
Banned

First Night in Guatemala

Here's the no WiFi hotel about 25 minutes into Guatemala

It had A/C

It wasn't bad and there was an amazing number of birds screaming in the trees. Real jungle like.

You could walk all they way around it on those nice balconies

Here's the volcano the next morning

The amazing northern highway in Guatemala. I never heard anyone mention what an awesome ride it is. Twisty, turny, huge elevation changes and absolutely smooth as glass with almost no traffic. It runs down the ridgeline of beautiful mountains with stunning scenery

Turned over 35000k on that great road

more pictures, still in the camera of Antigua...stay tuned
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #470
DHC-2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
DHC-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #471
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Glad to know you made it!!
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #472
BMW Bandit
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Kwn Brown

Hey Dwight

Nice skyping with you last evening, ride safe, chat soon.

Adios Amigo........
BMW Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #473
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Colones (CRC) to US Dollaes (USD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post

just as an FYI when you get further south in costa rica, most places take dollars as well and give a 490 to 1 exchange rate (offical is 500) they will come at you with a calculator, be 100% with the calculation, guys in gas stations have been known to rip people off with quick fingers...if in doubt ask to use the calculator and do it yourself, if you have a garmin 660 there is one on the unit
When you get to Costa Rica, here's a quick way to convert from CRC to USD: drop the 1000's and multiply by 2. For example: 56,500.00 CRC = 57 * 2 = $114.00. Assuming that the exchange rate is still around 500 to 1 as it has been for several years now, this will give you a ballpark figure very quickly.

Another quick note regarding border crossings: I did the Costa Rica / Nicaragua crossing last weekend near El Sapoa, and thought it wasn't too bad in terms of CA borders. A few guys in the group went around the lake via NIC25 did the (small) ferry in San Carlos, and crossed to CR near Los Chiles. Just saying it might be an option too if you're up for the less traveled road.

Ride safe, and don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything when you get to Costa Rica.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #474
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
When you get to Costa Rica, here's a quick way to convert from CRC to USD: drop the 1000's and multiply by 2. For example: 56,500.00 CRC = 57 * 2 = $114.00. Assuming that the exchange rate is still around 500 to 1 as it has been for several years now, this will give you a ballpark figure very quickly.

Another quick note regarding border crossings: I did the Costa Rica / Nicaragua crossing last weekend near El Sapoa, and thought it wasn't too bad in terms of CA borders. A few guys in the group went around the lake via NIC25 did the (small) ferry in San Carlos, and crossed to CR near Los Chiles. Just saying it might be an option too if you're up for the less traveled road.

Ride safe, and don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything when you get to Costa Rica.

Thanks for all the good info. I jst got up after a wonderful night's slepp and I'm going to get ready and go here soon. I feel like I have a plan here today thanks to Chris at the Moto Cafe here in Antigua. I am opptomistic it won't be the cluster I encountered on the way into Guatemala.

Gald you are along for the ride!

Kedgi
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #475
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Bandit View Post
Hey Dwight

Nice skyping with you last evening, ride safe, chat soon.

Adios Amigo........
It was GREAT to talk to a buddy from home! Cheers! We'll do it again soon. Maybe tonight if I have wifi

Dwight
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #476
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
Glad to know you made it!!

Me to! haha

Kedgi
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #477
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Dwight with the helpers or kids that are annoying you, just say "vete!" (vetay) it means go, but it translates a little harsher than that - this is what my maestra (teacher) told me to say, as its very easy to remember...

but again read my RR remember the details or get them printed and then pay me $260 as your invisible helper when you get on the boat

Thanks Paul

Looking forward to finally meeting you this week

Dwight
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #478
Kedgi OP
Banned

El Hostel

Here's trusty the KLR, parked in the Lobby at El Hostel in Antigua. It's a nice place to stay for 10 dollars a night

El Hostel, right around the corner from the moto cafe.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #479
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Thanks for taking us all along through the ups and downs of a different culture. I was fortunate enough to spend almost twenty years traveling through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc. Your frustration
with the "bureaucracy" of border crossings and normal interaction with the governments is understandable and being the victim of "helpers" does not give one the warm and fuzzies about a crossing. However, as in most countries as you have found out in your travels, the overwhelming majority of people are good and well intentioned when asked for help by travelers. I hope I can began to repay the enormous debt I owe the people's of Central America for all the hospitality I was afforded over the years when I needed help. Sounds like you have met some of those good souls also at critical times.
And I owe you a big "thanks" for all the help you provided me through Oceanic on those very dark and cold trips across the tracks.
Keep those position reports coming, Sir.
Rutabaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #480
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Certainly an unfortunate day Kedji but in the end you are through. There are a ton of positives to pull from it and stay focused on those. You can drop three bills walking down the street and have nothing to show for it but you managed to get a new experience and a story you will tell for a lifetime.

*A life made making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful then a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw.

Skype is always up if you run into a problem and a few bucks is a wire transfer away if you get in a tight spot. Ride without a worry, stay sharp and get ready for some great times.