Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #71506
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Yep, the dyno is old and crotchety, and the 02 and C02 numbers are highly suspect (in-pipe sensor may be at fault).
The failure mode of the type of O2 sensor used in the Andros gas bench is that it begins to read higher than normal. I suppose that if left uncorrected indefinitely, perhaps it could read as high as ambient. The software should throw a flag if the sensor is bad (unless it was spanned when it was no longer new). You can take the sensor out and check the voltage across the terminals. It should read 9-13mV, with much below 9mV meaning the sensor is bad.

HC is also quite low, perhaps unrealistically so. Unfortunately it is the infrared part of the bench that reads CO2, HC and CO. I therefore suspect that the CO readings are inaccurate as well.

A leak on the vacuum side of the pump would produce high O2 and low HC & CO2 (perhaps the drain valve in the first water trap is open). What doesn't seem to jive is that a leak on the vacuum side should also produce low CO, but the CO is in fact too high. That either shoots my theory to hell, or indicates that the CO is in fact much, much higher than the reading (!).
Quote:
Would that affect the hp or torque ratings?
These readings do indirectly affect the HP and torque readings. If the CO is in fact inaccurate, and is in reality through the roof, then torque and HP would improve based on the jetting being corrected (it should improve a bit even if the CO was accurate).
Quote:
If so, back to the drawing board.
To get a proper apples to apples sense of which of the parts work better, the combinations must be compared to one another when jetted correctly (I noticed that you don't have a CO trace for both runs, so you'd not be able to compare even if the data were not suspect). I would therefore fix whatever was wrong with the EGA and start over.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #71507
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Per Racetech and Procycle's site the Racetech has that same knob, with rebound adjustment.
I learn something new every day.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #71508
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Per Racetech and Procycle's site the Racetech has that same knob, with rebound adjustment.

Here's an informative thread on the Cogent shock for the DR650. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301968
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #71509
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,180
Thanks vfr. I'm probably missing it, but what sets the Cogent apart from the Racetech shock shaft assembly, and is it just different, better, or both?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #71510
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Thanks vfr. I'm probably missing it, but what sets the Cogent apart from the Racetech shock shaft assembly, and is it just different, better, or both?

Not sure what the differences are other than the optional hard anodized coating. The Cogent was the only option I was aware of when I was looking to upgrade. There are a few more choices now. If you have access to nitrogen for the refill, the Race Tech option may save you a few bucks. I'm guessing the end result between the Cogent and the Race Tech assembly will be very similar.

Edit: Here's what sets them apart...

Lil' Steve screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 03:28 PM
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #71511
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
rear rack with tool storage compartment?

I'm currently searching for a rear luggage rack that also has some sort of "built-in" tool storage space under it. Up to this point I didn't find anything for sale or even custom built.

My idea is to have little tool boxes built under the sides of this rack, basically between the rack and the exhaust side panel, and similarly on the left side. I will have the rack fabricated by a local welder guy, but it's always better to see what others have done before designing your own rack/accessories, as you can improve the design or simply borrow neat ideas.
So if anyone has built such a thing, or knows such a product, a few pictures would be more than welcome.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #71512
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Thank you! I will do bars and wheel first, and decide on the seat based on whether I get knee pain. .
Knee pain consideration is what is stopping me right now from giving my DR company in the garage with a new Multi Strada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #71513
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Lots of guys run risers and Pro Taper bars. Good set up.

Most custom seat makers can build a "Tall" version, raising you up at least an inch, maybe two? Should help transitioning from seated to standing.

What is your thinking on the 18" wheel? It WILL raise the bike up quite a bit, depending on tire you use. Other than that, what is the advantage? Where will you source the wheel? Will the bearings (Hubb and wheel) hold up with an 18" wheel? Also, fewer 50/50 and street based dual sport tires available in 18". Your choice. If doing "all dirt" then the 18" makes more sense.

In the end, Ergos are quite subjective. Mess around, try different things, go riding, make adjustments as needed!

If you're a trail rider ... then your first concern should be suspension. But since you're only 155 lbs. (lucky bastard!! ) The stock DR spring rates are not too bad for you ... but still will be a bit "quishy" for aggressive riding. The DR's handling (both ON and OFF road) responds really nicely to suspension upgrades. Just for future thought and upgrades.
FMF
I'm not an FMF fan ... I know them well, have used their products on dirt bikes (and street) since the late 80's. My DR650 came with an FMF pipe ... the rivets started coming out at 4000 miles. I sold it. Also, it was TOO LOUD ... and needed constant repacking. FMF pipes fall apart. IMO? JUNK.

The current hot set up for the DR650 is the Titanium GSXR pipe. It's not as light as the FMF but is super high quality ... will last forever, NOT TOO LOUD. Flows pretty well too.

Thanks for the tips!

Suspension will definitely happen for the "final build" on this bike for next summer. I'm weighing the options there too.

18" is for more clearance, better dirt tire selection, more offroad-ability. I'm fine with the DS tires available in 18", and it seems that the 18" upgrade is simple to do, with a few different source options (DR350 wheel, new wheel from procycle, re-lace original hub).

I was lead to believe the GSXR pipes were getting harder to source, and the overall cost could be more, with the header required, but I will look more into that.

My question was more about what a header upgrade (regardless of muffler) is even getting me on a stock engine. I'm just skeptical of header upgrades, I guess. FMF is partially responsible for that... various "bombs" that give you .3 HP of "seat of the pants grunt." heh
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #71514
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
I'm currently searching for a rear luggage rack that also has some sort of "built-in" tool storage space under it. Up to this point I didn't find anything for sale or even custom built.

My idea is to have little tool boxes built under the sides of this rack, basically between the rack and the exhaust side panel, and similarly on the left side. I will have the rack fabricated by a local welder guy, but it's always better to see what others have done before designing your own rack/accessories, as you can improve the design or simply borrow neat ideas.
So if anyone has built such a thing, or knows such a product, a few pictures would be more than welcome.
the Rotopax company makes something like what you are asking about heres a link to all their products
http://www.rotopax.com/All-Packs/

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:00 PM Reason: found the link
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #71515
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Looks good!!

Thanks Albie.

The seat feels much better for me and I am ready to put some time on the bike. I am sure I will like it a lot more than I do already. The KLR will be for sale (maybe) after I ride the DR some miles.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #71516
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
DR650 FF Spotted on 84 and 90

I just want to give a shout out to a DR650 rider with a yellow ADV sticker on the back of his helmet cruising though CT and MA on interstate 84 and 90 last Sunday the 25th. Nice inverted fork set up! Kudos for riding in these temps, I guess I'm not the only one riding my DR on the highways this time of year.
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #71517
DRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
I just want to give a shout out to a DR650 rider with a yellow ADV sticker on the back of his helmet cruising though CT and MA on interstate 84 and 90 last Sunday the 25th. Nice inverted fork set up! Kudos for riding in these temps, I guess I'm not the only one riding my DR on the highways this time of year.

That must have been me!
So funny you noticed. I turned a lot of heads that day.
I was on my way home to Boston from visiting family in NJ.
Does this bike look familiar?

DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #71518
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Thanks for the tips!

I was lead to believe the GSXR pipes were getting harder to source, and the overall cost could be more, with the header required, but I will look more into that.

My question was more about what a header upgrade (regardless of muffler) is even getting me on a stock engine. I'm just skeptical of header upgrades, I guess. FMF is partially responsible for that... various "bombs" that give you .3 HP of "seat of the pants grunt." heh
kientech now also makes a mounting plate for the 'busa can which can be attached to their midpipe, and these are cheap. which means the gsxr can prices should come down, as they both seem to be pretty-much the same performance-wise and both need no re-packing. so, a used 'busa or gsxr can, and a kientech midpipe should cost no more than the fmf.

regarding performance, all i can say is when i got my bike, it had an open airbox, yosh can, stock header and stock carb adjusted to suit. it ran fine, but i only put ~100 miles on it before i installed the fcr39 carb, hi-flow midpipe, and tsukigi gsxr can. now, it really runs fine! but as i said, i don't really have much to compare to...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #71519
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
That must have been me!
So funny you noticed. I turned a lot of heads that day.
I was on my way home to Boston from visiting family in NJ.
Does this bike look familiar?

Thats it! I saw you pull a few of these on the highway
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #71520
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Steering head bearings

Good day all,
I just got my DR back from the local shop, they replaced the steering bearings. I try to go over and check nuts/bolts when they do work on my bike. The pinch nuts were super tight along with the axle bolt. I'm talking WAY tighter than spec. Steering feels a little stiff, but it could be from the new bearings? When up on the center stand, steering seems smooth. Any tips or tricks that might help me have some confidence that the bearings were installed correctly?
Also, I'm pretty much done with that shop.

Also, would anyone happen to know what size the nut is on top of the triple tree is?
Thanks

dljocky screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:14 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote