ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #3826
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
__________________
2012 BMW R1200 GS
2012 Ducati MTS1200St Ti
2012 Vespa 300 Super
2003 Aprilia Tuono Racing
You went haywire buying new bikes this year, didn't you!
Was it the CA Lottery funding it?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #3827
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaw57 View Post
I got the spokes on my 2009 because I remember all the problems in the mid-to-late 90's when everyone was bending/breaking BMW cast wheels on potholes. I just figured that even riding on the road, the spoked wheels just might be cheaper in the long run.
They changed the alloy wheels with the introduction of the hexhead. Some oilhead alloy wheels would bend if you looked at them wrong. I helped pound out some dents on bikes belonging to friends... then never felt whatever it was they hit/ran over. On the other hand I've abused the alloy wheels on my '05 hexhead and they are still fine.

That said, I'll probably go wire wheels next bike just because. I'll come up with some bogus reason as to why, later.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #3828
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
You went haywire buying new bikes this year, didn't you!
Was it the CA Lottery funding it?
this year? hahahahahahahaha
__________________
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #3829
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
this year? hahahahahahahaha
Translation : Every year !
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'08 KTM 950SE-R -- GOING, GOING, GONE
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #3830
rattis
Studly Adventurer
 
rattis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: East of the seas of Kattegat
Oddometer: 892
Thumb petrolconsumtion

A couple of mpgs more or less is for me of no consequence, that's not the big moneydrain.
It's the trips and the hotels and the sundowners and....the FARKELS.
Life is short so I'll live with it even it the mileage is poor the pure joy of riding makes up for it.
__________________
I wish I had bought a GSA a long time ago
and now I drink Orange Crush as well, double up now, a 990Adv and a 950 SER
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #3831
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
A couple of mpgs more or less is for me of no consequence, that's not the big moneydrain
It's not the money I worry, the higher the mileage, the further you go for 5.3 gal (20L). At the current 42mpg of my bike (non-GS) that has only 4.5 gallon tank, I get tired of stopping for gas and worrying about the next fillip in the desert riding. Too many fill ups on a 500 mile day trip.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3832
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Too many fill ups on a 500 mile day trip.
Agreed. I'm chagrin'd to not have any long days to speak of on the '12 12GS, so I don't know how much the range is reduced compared to the eleven-fiddy. But they both suck hind tit compared to the R90, which when in proper tune would be on the high side of 250 miles before the reserve, and 300 on an optimum tank.
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #3833
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer
 
TuefelHunden's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Agreed. I'm chagrin'd to not have any long days to speak of on the '12 12GS, so I don't know how much the range is reduced compared to the eleven-fiddy. But they both suck hind tit compared to the R90, which when in proper tune would be on the high side of 250 miles before the reserve, and 300 on an optimum tank.
I have found that when riding twisty roads of the Appalachians, I average about 45 mph. (that's not snail speed either) I get about 220 miles to the running on fumes point, 200 if I'm really cranking the wick. That works out to be about four plus hours in the saddle. Just between you me and the outhouse, that's too frickin' long without a break, especially when hitting the turns hard. Not everyone is traversing the Gobi, Sahara, Mohave, or Oklahoma. A gas stop every two or three hours ain't all that bad.
__________________
Old, but not Dead
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #3834
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
A gas stop every two or three hours ain't all that bad.
Agree there. My max range is around 170 miles, and after riding for two hours (120 miles), its time for break. I end up filling 'cause ill never make it to the next break if I don't fill up. When done filling and recoding mileage, my riding buddies are already finished their break. It's not fun when you have to rush every thing and every time.

It would be nice to stop and not worry about gas fill ups.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #3835
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I have found that when riding twisty roads of the Appalachians, I average about 45 mph. (that's not snail speed either) I get about 220 miles to the running on fumes point, 200 if I'm really cranking the wick. That works out to be about four plus hours in the saddle. Just between you me and the outhouse, that's too frickin' long without a break, especially when hitting the turns hard. Not everyone is traversing the Gobi, Sahara, Mohave, or Oklahoma. A gas stop every two or three hours ain't all that bad.
You do know the new liquid cooled GS comes with a built in catheter bag, right?
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #3836
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
You do know the new liquid cooled GS comes with a built in catheter bag, right?

The optional ammonia recycling kit so the rider can piss right back into the fuel tank.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3837
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Agree there. My max range is around 170 miles, and after riding for two hours (120 miles), its time for break. I end up filling 'cause ill never make it to the next break if I don't fill up. When done filling and recoding mileage, my riding buddies are already finished their break. It's not fun when you have to rush every thing and every time.

It would be nice to stop and not worry about gas fill ups.
I agree about time for breaks but in the 12,000 miles of my GS ownership I've come very close to running out of gas several times......gas stations are few and far between on back roads in the western U.S. But having said that, I still prefer my bike over a GSA's massive tank...just wish it got slightly better mileage or had a slightly bigger tank.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #3838
taran1900
n00b
 
taran1900's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Agree there. My max range is around 170 miles, and after riding for two hours (120 miles), its time for break. I end up filling 'cause ill never make it to the next break if I don't fill up. When done filling and recoding mileage, my riding buddies are already finished their break. It's not fun when you have to rush every thing and every time.

It would be nice to stop and not worry about gas fill ups.
Bigger tank=freedom to take that longer, lonlier road. When I went through Wyoming the 8 gallon tank and great mileage on my RT allowed me lot of that. At altitude the RT does over 55mpg so I didn't start to get worried about running on fumes until the 380 mile mark. I didn't plan on that, it's just not all the gas stations that show up on the GPS out west are still in business. Big tanks rock.
taran1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #3839
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
Bigger tank=freedom to take that longer, lonlier road. ... Big tanks rock.
Well it's water under the bridge so lets hope we get good mileage. I don't expect on a GS tank to be bigger say 25L, (6.6 Gallon) up by 5L in the next 4 - 5 years.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #3840
edeslaur
San Diegan
 
edeslaur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I have found that when riding twisty roads of the Appalachians, I average about 45 mph. (that's not snail speed either) I get about 220 miles to the running on fumes point, 200 if I'm really cranking the wick. That works out to be about four plus hours in the saddle. Just between you me and the outhouse, that's too frickin' long without a break, especially when hitting the turns hard. Not everyone is traversing the Gobi, Sahara, Mohave, or Oklahoma. A gas stop every two or three hours ain't all that bad.

There's no rule you have to wait until it's empty to stop. I'll take all the range I can get.
__________________
Eric D
06 Husqvarna TE610 - IMS 5 gal clear tank, heated grips, Alaska Leather sheepskin, Dirt Bagz, Leo Vince slip on, JD Jetting kit, Utah skid plate, Cycra barkbusters
08 BMW K1200S - It's freakin' awesome

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014