Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
fat pat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
dead zumo 550

my zumo died today. everything was fine, i pulled in to get gas, started my bike and dead screen on the zumo.

i tried holding the power and ''+'' buttons simultaneously, but no joy.

any suggestions?

thanks,
pat
fat pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
halfcent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Remove the battery then re-insert, it should be good to go.
halfcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
fat pat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

perfect

halfcent-
many thanks.
pat
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
halfcent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Pat - something I found with mine, if I stop my bike I have it wired so that the Zumo stays on, if I turn it off it will quite often go into the dead mode. What I do now is, if it is a short stop, I will leave it on, if I am leaving the bike I remove the Zumo while it is on. It will ask if you want to go to battery power, I click yes and once it is on the battery I can turn it off with no problems. It sounds like a pain in the a** but it really isn't. give it a try and good luck they are a great unit.
halfcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
it draws very little current, llike 500 mils, and when you shut it off and back on again it starts a new track log of your trip then you have to connnect them all together later. I find it better to leve it on the whole day.

dman
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
fat pat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks

great feedback. it's up and running; i'll try the new suggestions.
best regards,
pat
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat ryan
my zumo died today. everything was fine, i pulled in to get gas, started my bike and dead screen on the zumo.

i tried holding the power and ''+'' buttons simultaneously, but no joy.

any suggestions?

thanks,
pat
Pat,
Sorry to read your post for 2 reasons--one, that you have one of the defective Zumos and two, that my tentative sense of relief at having fixed that problam in mine is misplaced. You can read my story in the linked thread
http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236510.
There is one outside chance that the fix is available and it may be clarified by your response to this post. I very recently hooked my Zumo up to the Garmin web site and downloaded all the upgrades and when the dreaded blackout occurred (for the 3rd time in 14,000 miles of use) I pushed the "+" and start button simultaneously and presto it came to life. How old is your unit and have you recently upgraded the software?
I am hoping your unit just needs a software upgrade and that the fix is in; otherwise, I'll keep the proper allen wrench in my tank bag for that ever so rare, but ever so aggrevating "Zumo blackout".
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
colin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
my zumo went dead today and went to a dealer who said..."yep, its dead, send it to raytech and they will sell you a refurb for $195 with my old as a trade"...anyhow, i didnt like the idea, did the search...i found this very helpful hint
Remove the battery then re-insert, it should be good to go

and it worked like a charm...thanks halfcent, you just saved me $195
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
I have a similar problem with my Zumo 400 - see " Zumo 400 connection problem " so given that I never had a problem before wiring it into the plug under the beak of the GS this morning I have changed it back to being wired directly to the battery and I will see if the problem persists - if it still gives trouble then I will send it back to the agents as it is still under warranty.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #10
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Grumpy,
It make take some time before you know. My 550 has failed only 3 times in 35,000 miles of riding. Twice requiring the battery removal and one starting after pressing the "+" and start buttoms simultaneously.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
Hi Petdoc - should not take too long to figure out as when wired to the harness / switched it would die within a week neccesitating taking it off remove & replace battery or connect to computer etc - will keep you guys posted.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
I had this same problem with my Zumo this week. Used it two saturdays ago and put it away aftewards. Tried to fire it up yesterday and nothing happened. Thanks to this forum, I pulled out the battery and then after putting it back...viola, it works again. Thanks for the help Halfcent, saved me a big headache dealing with Garmin.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 175
Thanks Halfcent, made my day.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
I had this same problem with my Zumo this week. Used it two saturdays ago and put it away aftewards. Tried to fire it up yesterday and nothing happened. Thanks to this forum, I pulled out the battery and then after putting it back...viola, it works again. Thanks for the help Halfcent, saved me a big headache dealing with Garmin.
I have nothing but good experiences with Garmin customer service.. I purchased a 450 Zumo in 07 and started having problems with it with in a year. They sent me a replacement unit which acted up right out of the box so they sent me another. It worked until last year then went dead. Nothing worked to bring it back to life. I sent them an email explaining that I am a long time customer, and related all the models I have owned and those that I currently own, and that the 450 was the only one that has given me grief. I felt this model was a evidently prone to problems and for the cost of this unit it should be dependable. They sent me a new 550 complete kit with all the mounting, accessories etc free of charge.. Granted I have owned/own a number of their products which I keep registered and up to date through MyGarmin, so they can see my history which may have helped. As well, earlier this year when looking at purchasing a new offroad GPS that worked well for Topos and Street (Montana or Oregon) I called just to have some specs and Mapsource compatibility questions clarified and the gal was cheerful and very helpful. Hopefully (knock on wood) my experience with them never turns into a "headache"..
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Thanks Halfcent, made my day.

Great re-awakening of a two+ year old thread, still helping adv'ers