Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #76
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,647
So after we find Phil in the Twilight Zone sitting drinking tea...we head to the outskirts to an auberge I know on the LHS. In fact it's the only one there......

We have a drink of coke outside in the warmth of the evening before dinner (no beer available here)....then bed down...the guide knows the owner and stays up to talk to him.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Christophe takes a couple of snaps of the moon rising.......
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next morning I take a few snaps as the sun comes up.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a better pic of the land mark Tagine shaped mountain...as before,always keep this to your RHS to find Ramlia and a place to stay...you can't go wrong....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In the morning and as I am the only responsible adult within a 100km range I ask the dudes to crew up early as about 500-600metres from the auberge there's a dried up lake bed that I know of that we can play on and get a few good snaps before heading on to Merzouga.....one of the group is still dozy and says he wants to watch Swop Shop because it's too early to go out and play......I tell him if he's good he can watch the Banana Splits later instead...but not both.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We bid farewell to the owners and some of the group are made to give back ornaments that they'd stolen......one even had a carpet stuffed down the front of his jacket stating that it was a new product he was testing for the factory and it was all about a 'special new product that keeps UV rays off your chest'......

[IMG][/IMG]
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 04:03 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #77
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

We ride down to the lake bed and everyone is in awe as to how big and flat it is......we park up to get a few pics....they're all excited and jumping up and down......surely it would only be a matter of time before the Presidents title would be passed on to someone else.......

Edge of the lake....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I tell them all that as they were allowed to play all by themselves to keep an eye out in case a stranger comes along and kidnaps them...remember 'Stranger Danger'....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Christophe sets the camera up.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

..and then they start to play....they're all told that no matter what they do "It's not big and it's not clever" to no avail...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One of these passes by......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then these pass......

[IMG][/IMG]

The KTM 690 and Africa Twin have a drag race and the 25yr old,old school AT wins......

As can be seen in the video a few pages back....Phil rides over the camera which is set up to film(luckily not the Canon)but the helmet cam JVC. It only broke a screw in mounting off....Phil gets a clip around the ear and is told to sit in the corner by himself......oh and he gets to hang onto the President of the EDC title...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:36 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #78
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim pedley View Post
Fantastic pics !!! Your tenere looks great
Thanks Jim....it's not a bad old girl...does the job that's required of it....very happy with it to date....

WIBO screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:59 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #79
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

So we leave the lake and the going is a hard pack trail covered n a layer of feche-feche...the moto's put up fine dust so spacing out is required here.

[IMG][/IMG]

I stop here to take a few pics because there's usually a few camels that hang out.......here they are....one of the EDC wants to go over and poke them with a stick....a big sharp one at that.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 07:49 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #80
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
A wee question.......
I see a Sony NEX-5(!) camera there.....any good?
Was thinking about buying one! :)
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #81
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Hi

Noah use's that...I think it's a great camera....

I use a Sony HX100V... I bought this solely for the HD video that it can take.....It can take in 30 frames per second but also in 60 frames per second....(also takes 3D video)

The zoom also is incredible...absolutely astonishing for a small camera. Some of the auto settings are great that come with it and the tilt screen is a real bonus for taking shots above your head looking down at things...It's one of those cameras if I lost I'd buy again.

It is also GPS enabled which I thought might be a bit gimmicky,but after 2 weeks when every place/village gets to look the same it certainly helps with jogging ones memory!!

:)

I'll post a small video later of the zoom at work just to let you see.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #82
Angelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post

Ahhh,these shots...B&W photography at it's very best!!!!

Angelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #83
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

This is part of Christophe's set up...

http://www.photoportrait64.fr

Here's a clip of the zoom my wife took...(bear in mind that my wife's hands shake a bit due to the medication she's on....)

WIBO screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:41 AM
Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #84
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
D'oh!!!

(How's Fermanagh these days?..started to get wet yet?.....asks a posh one, from Newtownards....east of the Bann you know...)

Neiytinards? Or East fermanagh as they like to be known? ironically, because the rest of the UK is getting such a pasting with rain at the moment, we in fermanagh are considered to be one of the drier areas to live. S'funny old world aint it?
LOve the report by the way. keep it lit.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #85
Ruan
Adventurer to be

Oddometer: 78
Incredible RR and photos. Have been there in end March and love. Thanks to remind it to me.

Portugal to Andorra in 1984
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817041
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #86
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

After the camels there'll be another dried out smaller lake bed with a single vehicle route about metre deep cutting across it. There's quite a bit of feche-feche on it's base so it's easier just to bear left or right to avoid it...if you wish that is.

Soon all trails converge in to one hard pack trail....

[IMG][/IMG]

When you ride over the rise,it opens out after it drops down to the first of several auberges,along of which I call 'Auberge Alley'...there's a sandy trail that passes in front of each of these and taking the normal and most direct route to Merzouga(that's why the auberges are placed there .... simples!!)

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the first place you'll see ( after this if you're ever on an enduro moto...theres a large play area of whoops and fast hard pack going before it settles onto the normal sandy route)

[IMG][/IMG]

We see the same trucks we'd seen before....

[IMG][/IMG]

We stop to have a chat with some people in 4x4's....one of the group is afraid that they'll take him away in their boot and he cowers behind me grabbing on to my leg.....I kick him off and tell him not to be silly.....

[IMG][/IMG]

After the soft going you pass through a dried up river bed of feche-feche then arrive at a metal sign.....head straight on where it becomes single track trail...on this you need to take care as it turns into a quarry trail where it's possible to meet the odd quarry lorry bimbling along. At this,we find that Christophe has ridden on in the Merzouga direction following his GPS.....he now gets the Presidents award.......

We stop just out side Taouz to wait on the Land Rover...here is where we drop the local dude off (Said)and then take 30km by blacktop to Merzouga to an hotel I know to see if they've any places

[IMG][/IMG]

Some of the group start bubbling uncontrollably now that they'll soon be on the safe tarmac ...I smack them on the back of their legs,tell them to be quiet and say that it's not like they'd just ridden the Dakar...only some of it...sheeesh

I ride on and find Christophe at Taouz and we all head to Saids house for mint tea.

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:56 AM
Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #87
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Hi

Noah use's that...I think it's a great camera....

I use a Sony HX100V... I bought this solely for the HD video that it can take.....It can take in 30 frames per second but also in 60 frames per second....(also takes 3D video)

The zoom also is incredible...absolutely astonishing for a small camera. Some of the auto settings are great that come with it and the tilt screen is a real bonus for taking shots above your head looking down at things...It's one of those cameras if I lost I'd buy again.

It is also GPS enabled which I thought might be a bit gimmicky,but after 2 weeks when every place/village gets to look the same it certainly helps with jogging ones memory!!

Thanks for that.I've got a Kodak"Flip type" camera for video,but planning to buy a Go Pro for the helmet,so much
i missed in Morocco not having instant access to a camera.
I'm looking at the NEX-5 because of the lens choice,i would like a Canon D60 because my old 'film' Canon lenses
fit,but i'm concerned about luggage space,i travel very light,i would rather have creature comforts than tat!

:)

I'll post a small video later of the zoom at work just to let you see.

Thanks for that.I've got a Kodak"Flip type" camera for video,but planning to buy a Go Pro for the helmet,so much
i missed in Morocco not having instant access to a camera.
I'm looking at the NEX-5 because of the lens choice,i would like a Canon D60 because my old 'film' Canon lenses
fit,but i'm concerned about luggage space,i travel very light,i would rather have creature comforts than tat!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #88
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

I carry my Sony in handlebar bag for quick access ....it's a choice for me between lens' or and traveling light ....but I see where you're coming from.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #89
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
[QUOTE=WIBO;20139934]

We stop just out side Taouz to wait on the Land Rover...here is where we drop the local dude off (Said)and then take 30km by blacktop to Merzouga to an hotel I know to see if they've any places

[IMG][/IMG]

Did you have much trouble with those dust devil things (like at the end of the valley in this pic)? It looks pretty big. Do visors etc. get sand blasted opaque if you don't cover them?
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #90
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Hi...we did see small ones on our travels........but that is actually the dust from a quarry explosion.....the trail from Taouz feeds the quarry as they mine for minerals......

Visors etc suffer no damage at all. The secret IMO, is to wash them under running water and use toilet tissue to wipe off any dirt. This paper is as soft as you'll get and disintegrates as it cleans.

Closer picture coming....

WIBO screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 03:39 PM