Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #76
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
I have been wondering why I don't have ethanol problems. It's the rubber. My carburetor is an old Bing with no rubber parts except a rubber ring at the top, which doesn't touch fuel. And its octane requirements are low.
It well destory old fiberglass tanks but I feel when it come to the carb it would take years to effect the rubber. It all is a matter of age. The old the scooter the more likely it's going to damage it. Anything made in the last 10 years should be good but then I been wrong before. As my girlfrend I wrong about everything .
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #77
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
11/28/2012 @15097.7 Re-installed starter solenoid

On last few rides, the starter motor engaged upon applying front brake. First I thought the starter cut-off relay or starter button is stuck closed. Removed the relay and pulled on brake, the starter turns over. And it was intermittent at that.

Checked wiring diagram and the scooter. And I found the problem was with the newly installed automotive-starter solenoid. The coil was finding a ground source through inner casing and mounting bracket. So, I made sure the solenoid is insulated.

Now, no more problem.

================================================== ===========

Couple of days ago, I went to a gas station where supposed be selling ethanol free gas. There are faded flags at the station advertising it. Rode up to the pump with 5 gallon tank strapped. The pump has a placard saying it ha 10% of ethanol. ???? WTF. I should have gone inside and ask for detail. But I figured "well, regular gas has been OK so why change?". I left the station and went to Costco for less expensive gas.

hayasakiman screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 08:06 AM
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #78
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

03/14/2013 @15666.9 Rear tire

Pirelli tires (SL26) were installed in July last year. Now the rear tire is bold. It has lasted for 2210 miles while front has a lot of tread left on it. Also, the rear tire picked up a wire or a nail. It has a slow leak. So, I had to buy a tire locally. The shop has very limited selections, 2, for the size. I picked Vee Rubber, VRM134. Made in Thailand. Have any one used this brand/tire? I have never heard of this brand. How well does it perform? I haven't ridden the scoot since the tire change because the exhaust pipe is in need of attention. See below.

The pipe is over at the welder being beefed up, shall be ready tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #79
mikeatsparkys
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Awesome thread. I'm clearly new here but I've been lurking this thread for a bit. I have a 2001 XC125 as well. I was having the hot start issue. I ordered the new starter clutch and idle gear assembly. I installed it just a few minutes ago. Here's the problem now.

It starts fine but it sounds like the starter motor is still running when started. It will not idle either.

Do you think the starter motor is actually running or is it possible that the idle gear is actually engaging the starter motor and spinning it?

I'm quite new to working on these, so excuse my ignorance ;)

Again, awesome thread. I admire your determination.
mikeatsparkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #80
mikeatsparkys
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatsparkys View Post
Awesome thread. I'm clearly new here but I've been lurking this thread for a bit. I have a 2001 XC125 as well. I was having the hot start issue. I ordered the new starter clutch and idle gear assembly. I installed it just a few minutes ago. Here's the problem now.

It starts fine but it sounds like the starter motor is still running when started. It will not idle either.

Do you think the starter motor is actually running or is it possible that the idle gear is actually engaging the starter motor and spinning it?

I'm quite new to working on these, so excuse my ignorance ;)

Again, awesome thread. I admire your determination.
I pulled it apart again and I'm thinking that maybe there is too much pressure on the starter clutch and that's not allowing the starter gear to disengage? Thus still spinning the starter gear while the engine is running. perhaps too much torque on the nut on the primary fixed sheave?
mikeatsparkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #81
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The new clutch assembly does not come with lube which is specified by Yamaha, molybdenum-disulphide oil.

I used 50/50 mix of STP and engine oil instead, and it has been trouble free.

Three rollers on clutch assembly should retract due to centrifugal force as the engine starts and run, dis-engaging clutch. Since you have new assembly it is hard to have wrong spring used to prevent rollers to retract.

If your starter motor continued to get voltage as my starter motor has had, you will hear faint mechanical sound. My engine continued to operate normally. It did not hinder idling.

Your idling issue may not be related to starter issue.

The lock nut torque for primary sheave is 40 ft-lb.

hayasakiman screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 10:34 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #82
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

3/31/2013 @15698.5 Exhaust pipe

The exhaust pipe was repaired.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #83
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
When it comes to tire I would try online to buy if your local shop has crap . I m guessing you might not get great mileage out of it. I would be more concern to watch how it acts in rain etc.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #84
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was going to buy a tire as well as tire spoons online so I can try installing it myself. But the aft tire picked up a wire and developed a slow leak.

I had no choice but to get the tire from a local shop.

I try avoid riding in rain/wet if it's possible.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #85
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/15/2013 @16086.9 Engine oil change

Changed engine oil. Used Synthetic Aeroshell 15W50 this time. I just happened to have it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7/8/2013 @16255.8 Flat rear tire

I got a plug put in due to a flat. Is this a common practice to repair motorcycle tires?
I did it because I didn't have other choice at the time. The plug seems to be holding up so far. But, I have new tire being shipped. It should come in soon.

Can I apply a patch on inside of flat tire as a permanent repair?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #87
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 530
I have used plugs, and no issues so far. I haven't tried a patch. I buy tires online, mostly Kenda K413. Pirelli's wear out very fast.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #88
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pirelli lasted a little over 2200 miles in back. I am getting Kenda K329s this time.

I haven't checked mileage since plug installation, but I had to add air once IIRC. I'll check the pressure again, before going home tonight.

hayasakiman screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:14 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #89
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasakiman View Post
Pirelli lasted a little over 2200 miles in back. I am getting Kenda K329s this time.

I haven't checked mileage since plug installation, but I had to add air once IIRC. I'll check the pressure again, before going home tonight.
Other than the mileage on the Pirelli - did you like those tires? I need to get a set of tires for my Riva 125. I'm looking at either the Michelin S83, S1, or the these Pirelli's. All thoughts welcomed. Ride and handling are most important and I'm trying to stay away from anything made in China.

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #90
hayasakiman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, I liked Pirellis.
They were made in Brazil, not Italy as I originally thought they were from. But, I have no problem using these tires. I have long lost relatives live in Brazil.

Most of my ride on Pirellis consist of dry paved roads. They gripped the roads well, good enough to scrape exhaust pipe (R) and center stand (L). Though it doesn't take much of banking angle to scrape. I had to hang-off for taking turns.

For a little while, I had rear tire a little under inflated without knowing. Even with this condition, the rear tire never gave me surprise with sudden loss of control or unpredictable sensation.

Now, I have a Kenda K329 in back. This tire is made in Taiwan. I chose this one for (hopefully) longevity.

I have grate respect to people in/from Taiwan. I don't mind using Kenda Tires.

I avoid using Shinko and Cheng shin. Don't ask me why.