ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #76
phillipsrog OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 135
Immobilizer is something that doesn't belong on an ADV bike. It's an electronic device in the ignition that reads your key and allows the bike to start. If it doesn't recognize the key, or if it malfunctions, your bike won't start. I think it's a European thing. They may be mandated over there, or you get cheaper insurance if your bike has one. Can any Euros help us out on that one?
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #77
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I knew you'd call me on this Brownie!
I absolutely will resist the urge to ride one. For now. Maybe after another 34k on the Versys.
What's an immobilizer anyway, and how do I get it fixed when I'm down in Old Mexico?

It's an electronic chip in the key that trips the electronic goodie on the bike so it will run.

Mexico? You'd be fooked bigtime.

I would think one would have more important things to worry about down there. Just sayin'.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #78
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
"Irregardless" is not a real word.
It's colloquial, but still a real word:



cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #79
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,617
Just about as bad as every advertiser's favorite, "I've got" or "We've got". OMG.

Well, only 75% of HS students are finishing school. I think the figure for college is much lower. An entire nation of f'ing dummies here in the US.

Sorry for the thread-jack.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #80
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
E-town dirt dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: edmonton
Oddometer: 200
Off road capable

For anyone questioning the offroad capability of the 800XC...with the right rider...it's amazing what it can do.
This has been posted before but the Icon "Portland to Dakar" video ...as cheezy at is is...really shows what a Tiger is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s
__________________
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #81
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
For anyone questioning the offroad capability of the 800XC...with the right rider...it's amazing what it can do.
This has been posted before but the Icon "Portland to Dakar" video ...as cheezy at is is...really shows what a Tiger is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s

I'm actually quite surprised how many have bought into this notion based on that video, you're certainly not the only one and this certainly isn't directed at you specifically.

The Icon promo video is entertainment at best. The riders are stunt riders in a staged setting, being filmed for a publicity stunt and marketing effort. It in no way depicts a real-world use of the bike. They could have done the same video using any bike, Multi-stradas, Harleys, mini-bikes. It wouldn't have mattered. It was staged with props and multi-takes for best screen effect and visual impact.

The term that comes to mind: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

The tiger is a road bike with some design parameters and component options to better adapt it to more rugged terrain than just pure paved roads. And while a few owners have pushed them into some pretty hardcore offroad use it doesn't make the bike more than it really is. It's just not a dirtbike. We used to have this same stupid discussion over on the Kawasaki Versys owners forum. There were a couple of guys that put a v-strom wheel on theirs and changed out the suspension and further modded them for off-pavement riding. Then they rode them like a dirtbike, all the while saying it as a real adventure bike. But it was still a road bike at the core and it still weighed 450lbs.

This same attitude of capability follows the GS crowd. They actually have been convinced that their GSA's are invincible offroad machines. Ridden like a dirtbike they will become absolutely thrashed and broken.

There is a reason KTM is the largest maker of offroad motorcycles in the world. Their EXC series of street legal enduros are the epitomy of offroad capability. I can't imagine anyone in their wildest dreams would think the Tiger is on par with any of those types of motorcycles.

Perhaps I have simply misunderstood the comments so many have made about the Tiger as a result of the Icon promo vid. Hell, even my riding buddies sent me a link, all excited about how cool those Tigers were. Yes, they're cool, but it didn't confuse me about the intended application and real-world capability of the bike.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #82
phillipsrog OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 135
Tmi

I think people are reading too much into that video. I watched it and got the warm fuzzies like "Yeah, my bike can go anywhere." But the reality is I tipped mine over at fairly low speeds and broke the brake lever. It cost $55 to replace it. I came to the obvious conclusion that if I want to ride it like a dirt bike, it's going to get awfully expensive. I've since added handguards, but the simple math remains. Riding it "like a dirt bike" means crashing, crashing means breaking, and breaking means expensive trips to the motorcycle shop. Since it's a Triumph, it also means waiting weeks for parts.

That doesn't mean mine is a slave to asphalt. I've taken it places that are dubious for a bike its size, and I don't care what brand is on the tank, a 500-lb beast is going to be tricky in the technical stuff, but you won't see me riding it like a dirt bike. I will be using just enough power to get me through the rough stuff and then hopefully thanking my lucky stars I'm not handing Triumph a healthy portion of paycheck for replacement parts.

The Tiger is a great bike for what it's designed for, but before I get all delusional about how someone in a video can ride it, I just have to go out and try to pop a wheelie. On a good day, I can clear a playing card lying flat, and that's if there' s a bump in the road. Ride a wheelie like those guys? Only in my wildest dreams.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #83
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
I think people are reading too much into that video. I watched it and got the warm fuzzies like "Yeah, my bike can go anywhere." But the reality is I tipped mine over at fairly low speeds and broke the brake lever. It cost $55 to replace it. I came to the obvious conclusion that if I want to ride it like a dirt bike, it's going to get awfully expensive. I've since added handguards, but the simple math remains. Riding it "like a dirt bike" means crashing, crashing means breaking, and breaking means expensive trips to the motorcycle shop. Since it's a Triumph, it also means waiting weeks for parts.

That doesn't mean mine is a slave to asphalt. I've taken it places that are dubious for a bike its size, and I don't care what brand is on the tank, a 500-lb beast is going to be tricky in the technical stuff, but you won't see me riding it like a dirt bike. I will be using just enough power to get me through the rough stuff and then hopefully thanking my lucky stars I'm not handing Triumph a healthy portion of paycheck for replacement parts.

The Tiger is a great bike for what it's designed for, but before I get all delusional about how someone in a video can ride it, I just have to go out and try to pop a wheelie. On a good day, I can clear a playing card lying flat, and that's if there' s a bump in the road. Ride a wheelie like those guys? Only in my wildest dreams.

+1

Age and wisdom will always win out over youth and trechery.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #84
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
E-town dirt dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: edmonton
Oddometer: 200
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'm actually quite surprised how many have bought into this notion based on that video, you're certainly not the only one and this certainly isn't directed at you specifically.

The Icon promo video is entertainment at best. The riders are stunt riders in a staged setting, being filmed for a publicity stunt and marketing effort. It in no way depicts a real-world use of the bike. They could have done the same video using any bike, Multi-stradas, Harleys, mini-bikes. It wouldn't have mattered. It was staged with props and multi-takes for best screen effect and visual impact.

The term that comes to mind: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

The tiger is a road bike with some design parameters and component options to better adapt it to more rugged terrain than just pure paved roads. And while a few owners have pushed them into some pretty hardcore offroad use it doesn't make the bike more than it really is. It's just not a dirtbike. We used to have this same stupid discussion over on the Kawasaki Versys owners forum. There were a couple of guys that put a v-strom wheel on theirs and changed out the suspension and further modded them for off-pavement riding. Then they rode them like a dirtbike, all the while saying it as a real adventure bike. But it was still a road bike at the core and it still weighed 450lbs.

This same attitude of capability follows the GS crowd. They actually have been convinced that their GSA's are invincible offroad machines. Ridden like a dirtbike they will become absolutely thrashed and broken.

There is a reason KTM is the largest maker of offroad motorcycles in the world. Their EXC series of street legal enduros are the epitomy of offroad capability. I can't imagine anyone in their wildest dreams would think the Tiger is on par with any of those types of motorcycles.

Perhaps I have simply misunderstood the comments so many have made about the Tiger as a result of the Icon promo vid. Hell, even my riding buddies sent me a link, all excited about how cool those Tigers were. Yes, they're cool, but it didn't confuse me about the intended application and real-world capability of the bike.
Perhaps I should have elaborated more. It shows what the bike is capable of ...with a good rider..and an unlimited budget to fix shit that breaks while filming it. And thanks for pointing out that all the shots were staged..with multiple retakes. I thought it was real Sure it was filmed for entertainment value but if you break it down and look at individual segments and how the bikes are handling..I have to admit that it's capable of way more than I thought it was. I'm an intermediate rider at best and have taken my bike offroad..have dropped it and broken stuff. I know it's not a dirtbike..I bought it long before the video came out. I have 20,000 km on the bike now..with a good mix of asphalt and dirt. It's taken me almost everywhere my KLR did. And before you point it out...I know the KLR is not a dirt bike too.
__________________
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #85
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....
 
goodcat8's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 2,969
Jesus hasn't this thread gone to hell......
__________________
2014 Triumph Scrambler
Prior: 3rd Battalion - 6th Marines - 2nd Marine Division - Lima Company - 2nd Platoon - 0311
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #86
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Jesus hasn't this thread gone to hell......
^ way to bring us back on track ;)

I have much love for this bike, but its not all sunshine and rainbows; I have the preload on the shock set as reccomended in the manual for two up, loaded riding and find the shock is too soft on my own in fast wallowy corners. Let alone with a pillon and gear. The fork is surprisingly versatile and set up same as the shock is great on my own and very good two up. I will be swapping the shock for something better down the road as it wears out. I weigh about 100kg in my riding gear. Also, the bike needs more power. Don't get me wrong, I love the engine, I love the way it makes power, it just needs a bit more of it. Not a lot, and need is a strong word here, maybe just wants for a bit more power? I like messing about and pulling the odd wheelie or two and first is so tall on this bike it takes a real effort to get the front wheel up, and I can only do it in first (anyone managed a 2nd gear wheelie on this thing?). I will be swapping the end can for a Leo Vince, gutting the cat and having a custom map installed once I save the cash. I will probably also go to a smaller front sprocket as well, but will see if the other mods satisfy my needs first.

Would I buy this bike again; yes, but I wish Triumph had put a better shock on it, a shorter first (taller sixth as well) and added another 10-15HP, then it would be perfect. Or I would just whinge about something else ;)
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #87
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,366
To answer the question in the title to this thread, "Yes."

Only have a 1000+ miles on it so far, so y'all go chase some rabbits down some rabbit holes, critique some marketing videos, and argue over your keyboards about the video some more and I'll go actually ride one and report back after awhile...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #88
klrider99
I know a shortcut........
 
klrider99's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Luray, VA
Oddometer: 28
Bought my orange 800XC in May 2011. Coming off a KLR650 and DR350SE it took a while to get the ergos sorted out. 12k miles on it now (it shares roads time with others) but YES, the 800XC is a great bike. On the slab, back roads, dirt roads, etc. It is far more capable than I am. Love the Triple. Somehow the machine's balance works out to be excellent. Considered the gas guzzler KTM (too much maintenance and weird stuff for a bike I'd take to remote places. The Tenere has, for me, all the appeal of a new refrigerator: functional and that's it. Bikes Made Weird 800 was interesting but my buddies, and other folks, have had their weird problems.....the great gas mileage was the draw there, but 47mpg US on the Tiger I can live with nicely. Also like the shorter seat height of the Tiger. My first Triumph and may not be the last.
__________________
Pat
'11 Multistrada 1200S Touring, Tiger 800 XC, DRZed 400SMDirt '05 Lil Ruckus, SR500G
Adventure bikes: Fours are foreign, Twins are in, Thumpers are cool, but Triples Rule!
klrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #89
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mikehusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Bellefonte, PA
Oddometer: 198
My 800XC rocks. I would buy another one in a second. I had the stepper motor issue and don't care for the goofy instrument toggle crap or the wind noise but can easily live with it for what it gives me in return. It is very capable off road as well as eats up the miles on pavement. I was set on a F800GS and a good friend (BMW) lover told me to test ride a Tiger first. Right before I pulled the trigger an immaculate KTM 990 came into the dealership with every upgrade you could think of with 4K easy miles at a smoking deal. Was torn cause I really dig the looks and the offroad capability appealed to me but after feedback on reliability issues and pain in the ass maintenance woes I decieded on the Triumph.....and am very happy with my choice. If I could have two I would like some seat time on a KTM but I wouldnt give up one for the other.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #90
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
I'd read about people having issues with buffeting, and thought that I'd want that, but I haven't really noticed any issues with the wind with the windshield in the stock position.
>snip
Depending on my jacket, speeds over about 75 with a 25-20mph headwind will give me a headache. Noisy and bumpy. With my jacket vents zipped and earplugs it's tolerable. I'm gonna have to do something for any freeway distances.
I find the bike runs really nicely at 80-85 and you can really burn some miles. Now if I can just keep the popo off my ass.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014