Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #46
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Right,,,,how about Benedril? (sp).
Just about any medication will not hold up well to being left out exposed to the elements vs sitting in your medicine cabinet. So replace it a little bit sooner than the label says and you can be rather sure everything is A-OK. Besides it is cheap being OTC. Since your question is not too clear to me I will rattle on hoping to hit the mark. For allergic reactions like the type you get from insect stings (bees, wasps, scorpions, etc) epi is the life saver. Benedril will take too long to really help in emergency situations. So don't skimp if you have such an allergy and keep your epi near by. But for general hay fever, and other mild allergies it is fine if it works for you.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #47
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Sorry everyone I got busy with school and working on my bike but will get back to this ASAP!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #48
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Why to carry a space/thermal blanket? Do you use it for something else than just keeping you warm? I would guess that your normal riding gear keeps you warm enough. I might take instead an eye wash bottle which has an ergonomic eye cup for washing. Getting dirt to your eyes is quite common even if you wear proper safety gear. Just as you stated below, if I need to cut/remove equipment a pair of trauma shears are ideal. I have a benchmade tactical stapcutter that I keep with me as it is smaller and will go through just about anytype of riding gear. But you have to be careful because it will go through a person easily too. Once the clothing is removed I may not be able to maintain body temp and a thermal blanket is ideal for that. And even if the individual was thermal regulating just fine they can decompensate or go into shock and drastically reduce body temps.

I would also substitute the Leatherman for proper scissors which actually can cut though riding gear if needed. refer above, good idea!

What would you carry for cooling burns, besides the Camelbak? Is cold spray or cold gel worth carrying? So a lot of these over the counter burn agents rely on topical local anesthetics and generally only work for a short time. The goal with a burn is to clean as much as possible (with sterile or an antimicrobial agent) and then cover with a good dressing while out and about until further care can be provided if necessary. So if a burn agent makes this more tolerable for the initial scrub down to remove debri or what ever that is a good idea but its effects will wear off shortly. Give them 800mg of ibuprofen to help with pain/inflamation, keep it clean and get to proper treatment. Burns are no fun!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #49
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi,

I Loved you videos but there are some questions on my noob head:

Where do you carry the medical kit? I carry my kit on the back of my bike, it is almost too cumbersome to have on my person but if I was wearing my backpack/camelback I could carry it in there. As you stated below you could be displaced from your bike and may have to rely upon your own efforts or a riding partner to get to it. I have been injured in quite a few crashes and have had to drag my self back to civilization. This is not fool proof sorry. I do carry one large and med ace bandage in a pocket on me though. With these I can splint a bone or sprang and hopefully make it to the bike.

If you caring it with you, may probably cause morve injuries ou inutilize it in a crash cenario. Good point but if you carry soft stuff in a pocket, for immediate aid such as an ace wrap that will most likely not cause harm.

On the bike, may probably get dozens of meters away from you making almost impossible getting to it if there is any hard injury on the lower members or on any other place that limits your movements or erect walk.

It is wise to substitute Betadine with some other form, like Bepanthene Plus? You can utilize any form of topical antimicrobial that you desire, the rule of thumb for betadine and alcohol is that they must actually dry to get the antimicrobial effects.

Thank you in advance,
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #50
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Before any group ride I tell everyone that I have a "Trauma Kit" and where it is located. (just in case they need it on me). This is a great idea! I do the same thing as well as crossload item needed for recovery like who has an aircompressor, tire tools etc... the more you are familiar with each other and their equipment the better off everyone is!

Mainly....in your opinion, would you consider aspirin or ?nitroglycerin? for a heart attack or symptoms?
If you are riding with anyone that has a heart condition they may want to rethink their hobby but for the occasion where it spontaneously occurs and well you happen to have something more potent there are some legal ramifications that can occur. As nitro is a Rx med it could be bad news if they take it and stuff goes wrong, heck it could be be bad news if it goes right and people report you. A baby aspirin helps, it is not as effective as nitro. Nitro is a vasodilator and aspirin is a cox inhibitor so if you give nitro it will lower their blood pressure and increase the flow to the ischemic portion of the heart. Couple that with a baby apsirin which reduces clotting and you have a pretty decent outcome. But be wary, I cannot recommend this as I mentioned above but I cannot stop it. Definitely research the Rx if you are going to carry it so it can be utilized properly.

Thanks for your time and input......

runnin4melife screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 08:34 AM
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #51
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Benadryl or diphenhydramine will help for an allergic reaction but they are not that efficacious for an anaphylactic reaction. I carry epi because I am allergic to bees and am not sure how far away I am from a full on reaction. Epi in autoinjectors lasts quite a bit longer than they state on the packaging. Actually almost every single medication lasts a lot longer than the "expiration". There are a few solutions that do not but those aren't relative here, now how do I know this? Well the military stock piles a boat load of meds and if everything was going bad every one to two to three years we would be burning money at an astronomical rate. But low and behold expirations make people spend more money because they do not know that many things last past that date. I will say that unless you are taking epi to 140+'F or below 0'F it will do its job within a two year window.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #52
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 693
Thanks dude. Sage advice.

Another one on the space blanket....you can [gently] put the injured on the blanket and slide them out of the road....

And I have used it when it got unexpectedly cold while camping!

Eric
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #53
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
If a riding partner is the one on the nitro then it might be a good idea for you and him to both have a little nitro on you. That way, if your riding partner is having heart trouble you don't have to search him to find the drugs to administer.

Administering non-prescribed nitro? No to anyone but blood relatives or my best friend.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #54
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
If a riding partner is the one on the nitro then it might be a good idea for you and him to both have a little nitro on you. That way, if your riding partner is having heart trouble you don't have to search him to find the drugs to administer.

Administering non-prescribed nitro? No to anyone but blood relatives or my best friend.
Roger that.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #55
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Great advice, good kit! Carry most of the same myself but broke it up into two kits to be better able to fit in saddlebags. IFAK for the trauma items and a civvy first aid kit pouch for normal "boo-boos". Need the scissors and light though.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #56
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,092
I like the Leatherman Micra for my boat and bike first aid kits. I don't like to go wild with a large kit. And that Leatherman is tiny but has functional scissors, tweezers and a pen knife. That is pretty much everything I need in a first aid kit tool. Mine have gotten a workout over the years and have never let me down.