Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #46
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
r u looking for a kevlar suit or a kevlar-mesh suit?
Thanks for taking the time to read my somewhat scattered thoughts. I don't know about kevlar vs kevlar mesh - I'd like to get my hands on someone's motoport collection to feel/see the difference. Different people seem to have different preferences.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #47
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Motoport also uses kevlar thread., triple and quad stitched in some places......The thread is key
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #48
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Neck brace compatible + a few other thoughts

I have a Kevlar mesh jacket and pants from Motoport. I really like the security the jacket offers, but do wonder sometimes if the armour might twist out of place in a crash. The pants are bulky and hotter than my Klims, so I only wear them on longer trips. A few comments:
  • I think the kevlar mesh is brilliant! It feels bombproof and flows lots of air, which is great for me in Australia.
  • I sometimes take the armour out and use a pressure suit/ knee guards underneath. Being able to do this is important to me on desert trips.
  • I wear a Leatt neck brace and to be honest its a bit of a pain as the jacket doesn't have the optional cut out for a neck brace. I would really like a neck brace compatible jacket and like the way the Leatt jackets cover the brace. That said it would be good to be able to use it without a cover as well to flow more air.
  • T-Pro would be good, but please include some chest/rib protection. I think the coverage offered by Forcefield with their Adventure harness is great for this.
  • The suit is not the most flattering thing to wear, especially with my beer gut . A bit more shape/style would be good....
  • Pants in the boots or pants out of the boots? I'm starting to think pants over the boots is a dumb idea.
  • I layer up with outdoor gear if it's cold, and just chuck a waterproof jacket over everything if it rains. Liners seem silly to me, I'd rather keep everything dry.
  • Tasteful colours and not many logos would be good.
  • Kevlar thread seems a very good idea.
If you can produce a good 2 piece suit that takes account of the above I would buy it in a shot .

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #49
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,091
I think the importance of seam strength and armor coverage couldn't be stressed enough.

If the seams don't hold, this discussion is moot.

I know you're using SasTec now, which clearly tests well, but its pathetically small. The suit would have to be very snug, or have some serious adjustment to locate the armor correctly. Of all the suits I've seen with small armor from Revit (sastec), first gear & klim(d30), none seem to have a handle on this. More armor coverage would help in this regard. I for one, would pay more for something like T-pro that is physically larger, yet just as comfortable and protective. Unlike T-pro, SasTec also stays rock hard in the cold, which is a deal killer for me. Manufacturers like to claim that your body heat softens it up, but I've never found that to be true since it lives on the outside of the insulation. How is body heat making it through the stuff that is keeping you warm to soften it up
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #50
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Unlike T-pro, SasTec also stays rock hard in the cold, which is a deal killer for me. Manufacturers like to claim that your body heat softens it up, but I've never found that to be true since it lives on the outside of the insulation. How is body heat making it through the stuff that is keeping you warm to soften it up
what do you mean Jim, it softens fine in the freezing temps of SoCal
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #51
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
what do you mean Jim, it softens fine in the freezing temps of SoCal
Good point. I never had this issue until I moved somewhere it actually gets cold
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #52
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
The Forcefield Extreme Harness Adventure is $350.
i wrote a long rant about why are probably not going to use that stuff - deleted the rant and am simply going to say this: Not many people want to pay the fair price for a garment with these sort of features. if we can get enough people to sign up for this - i would not mind importing anything that is in popular demand :)

With Sas-Tec pieces, we would have to develop custom pieces if you want more coverage (like BMW does). This means significant costs and again how much is everyone willing to pay for that. I personally find Sas-Tec coverage to be very good but obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion. The last time i compared, the Sas-Tec peices did provide more coverage than D3o.

For anyone looking for Mesh(perforated) gear at the moment, our Air Shell is an amazing suit:
http://store.teizms.com/air-shell

We are also introducing a matching Jacket next week.

Thanks

teizms screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 12:22 PM
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #53
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

important question:

a lot of folks find their kevlar based jackets to be too stiff and uncomfortable. please elaborate on this in detail so we can incorporate the right amount of stretch panels etc to ensure a more comfortable fit.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #54
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I can lend you my Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh suit for R & D purposes - p.m. here
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #55
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I think the importance of seam strength and armor coverage couldn't be stressed enough.

If the seams don't hold, this discussion is moot.

I know you're using SasTec now, which clearly tests well, but its pathetically small. The suit would have to be very snug, or have some serious adjustment to locate the armor correctly. Of all the suits I've seen with small armor from Revit (sastec), first gear & klim(d30), none seem to have a handle on this. More armor coverage would help in this regard. I for one, would pay more for something like T-pro that is physically larger, yet just as comfortable and protective. Unlike T-pro, SasTec also stays rock hard in the cold, which is a deal killer for me. Manufacturers like to claim that your body heat softens it up, but I've never found that to be true since it lives on the outside of the insulation. How is body heat making it through the stuff that is keeping you warm to soften it up
That is probably my biggest issue with gear makers, I don't care if you use armor that is so amazing it will save me if i hit a brick wall at 200mph because it seems like 90 percent of the jackets\pants I have ever tried on (including 1piece leathers) I do not like how the armor sits..perhaps I am just a snob from playing contact sports my entire life where repeated falls\hits are going to happen and I understand how "decent placement" is not exactly good enough when you need it.

ddeitz screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 01:03 AM
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #56
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Hi Adrian v , looks like the Klim Adventure air is exactly what your after , release date February 2013.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #57
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
important question:

a lot of folks find their kevlar based jackets to be too stiff and uncomfortable. please elaborate on this in detail so we can incorporate the right amount of stretch panels etc to ensure a more comfortable fit.
I will try to draw an analogy. I have a Motoport kevlar air mesh jacket and their stretch kevlar pants. The jacket feels like chain mail from the middle ages. The pants feel like a comfortable pair of your favorite broken in jeans. My suggestion would be a stretch kevlar jacket that will use a 1-2" wide air mesh strip on the inside of the arms up to the armpits, supplemented by some triangular mesh panels on the chest in a V shape configuration. For functionality and safety, 2 lower pockets is enough without getting in the way of the venting IMHO. I don't use the pockets on my jacket for anything electronic because they are so abrasive. Also, a two way main zipper is great for taking the inevitable roadside piss.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #58
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I will try to draw an analogy. I have a Motoport kevlar air mesh jacket and their stretch kevlar pants. The jacket feels like chain mail from the middle ages. The pants feel like a comfortable pair of your favorite broken in jeans. My suggestion would be a stretch kevlar jacket that will use a 1-2" wide air mesh strip on the inside of the arms up to the armpits, supplemented by some triangular mesh panels on the chest in a V shape configuration. For functionality and safety, 2 lower pockets is enough without getting in the way of the venting IMHO. I don't use the pockets on my jacket for anything electronic because they are so abrasive. Also, a two way main zipper is great for taking the inevitable roadside piss.
good stuff thats the kind of feedback we need
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #59
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
I can lend you my Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh suit for R & D purposes - p.m. here
thanks for the offer. i might take up on it a bit later but right now i am out traveling...
i also have fabrics supplied to me directly from schoeller (and several other vendors) so that helps..