Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
HighWay319
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Tell you what.... if you let these people talk you out of the pit-bull send it to me.

I put 5k-7k of miles hauling a Ducati 1198 and a gsxr600 across the southeast to track days and racing events every year using this restraint. I also know a lot of people that use these trailer restraints with no problems. The amount of stress on the swing arm is minimal.
HighWay319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWay319 View Post
Tell you what.... if you let these people talk you out of the pit-bull send it to me.

I put 5k-7k of miles hauling a Ducati 1198 and a gsxr600 across the southeast to track days and racing events every year using this restraint. I also know a lot of people that use these trailer restraints with no problems. The amount of stress on the swing arm is minimal.
Single sided shaft drive race bikes?

Let us compare apples to apples.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
It does not compress the suspension and allows the bike to "float" on the trailer.
Which of course is no problem whatsoever.

Here's a direct quote from the BMW R1200RT owners manual (Canada version):

Quote:
Tighten all straps uniformly; the motorcycle's suspension should be compressed as tightly as possible front and rear.
But then what does BMW know about the motorcycles they make?
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Quote:
Tighten all straps uniformly; the motorcycle's suspension should be compressed as tightly as possible front and rear.

True, if you are going to compress the suspension you should load it enough to keep it from compressing any further on bumps to keep:

a. Straps from loosening and possibly coming unhooked during compression.

b. Straps from stressing tie points when the suspension decompresses.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Which of course is no problem whatsoever.

There's this thing called innovation. This way of strapping the bike down came up well after BMW issued this recommendation for conventional strap down. This thread is about what we think about it, not about ancient history
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #36
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,698
Great responses...seriously. The sarcastic replies were entertaining too.

But the bottom line seems to be that none of us KNOW how the swingarm/FD will handle the loads over the long term. It is all just speculation and conjecture. Grenading a FD by riding into a ditch or examining how BMW crates their bikes does not interest me in the slightest so I am willing to be a guinea pig of sorts. If something breaks due to my chosen trailering method then I will fix it and keep riding....and change my trailer restraint method.

And you all will be the first to know. I wouldn't want to deprive you guys of your chance to say "I told you so!"

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #37
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Well, in your original post, you stated->>

"My concern is regarding the swingarm pivot bearing. The swingarm assembly was not designed for the torsional loads that this puts on it."

I think that was an astute judgement, but now you are rejecting it. So put a couple of back-up straps on the forks so we don't have to worry about meeting your GS head on sliding down the road at 70mph.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #38
lkchris
Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompie View Post
There's this thing called innovation. This way of strapping the bike down came up well after BMW issued this recommendation for conventional strap down. This thread is about what we think about it, not about ancient history
What "we think about it" is that the bike's suspension is not compressed, thus allowing too much movement of the bike. The "float" that the original poster thinks is cool is not cool at all.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,369
I haven't read all the dumass replies, so i will say it looks good to me and if you get scared to use it I will take it and put it on my GSA if the need arises to trailer. thanks for the post
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #40
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What "we think about it" is that the bike's suspension is not compressed, thus allowing too much movement of the bike. The "float" that the original poster thinks is cool is not cool at all.
Kent, i understand that. Allowing the bike to float vertically is the innovative bit. That is not going to hurt the bike, as it sees vertical float in normal driving. To me the problem, as per my earlier post #25, is side forces and resulting bending moments. Apologies if my comment was too sarcastic. But if not for innovation we'd still be hunting for women and food, and live in caves.

cheers,

Martin
Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by little foot View Post
I haven't read all the dumass replies, so i will say it looks good to me and if you get scared to use it I will take it and put it on my GSA if the need arises to trailer. thanks for the post

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Great responses...seriously. The sarcastic replies were entertaining too.

But the bottom line seems to be that none of us KNOW how the swingarm/FD will handle the loads over the long term. It is all just speculation and conjecture. Grenading a FD by riding into a ditch or examining how BMW crates their bikes does not interest me in the slightest so I am willing to be a guinea pig of sorts. If something breaks due to my chosen trailering method then I will fix it and keep riding....and change my trailer restraint method.

And you all will be the first to know. I wouldn't want to deprive you guys of your chance to say "I told you so!"
You'll fit right in in Vermont....Eeeeeyuppppp.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
lkchris
Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompie View Post
Kent, i understand that. Allowing the bike to float vertically is the innovative bit. That is not going to hurt the bike, as it sees vertical float in normal driving. To me the problem, as per my earlier post #25, is side forces and resulting bending moments. Apologies if my comment was too sarcastic. But if not for innovation we'd still be hunting for women and food, and live in caves.
No problem, but I still think the bike floating is a bad idea and it's the trailer's suspension that should be doing that sort of work. And, I'm all for innovation but can't see much engineering in this one. And, I'd suspect Humvees are well secured and don't "float" much when tied down inside C5s and C17s and imagine the pilots are happy for that.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #44
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
it's the trailer's suspension that should be doing that sort of work
I have seen more small trailers here that simply don't have -any- suspension at all. To flip that - I could probably count the number of small trailers that had suspension (in the last twenty years or so) on one hand.

The roads around here locally are simply not pristine; if it was all interstate roads - then that's a different story.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
No problem, but I still think the bike floating is a bad idea and it's the trailer's suspension that should be doing that sort of work. And, I'm all for innovation but can't see much engineering in this one. And, I'd suspect Humvees are well secured and don't "float" much when tied down inside C5s and C17s and imagine the pilots are happy for that.
flew F104's, was T38 instructor, understand the g-forces
Martin