ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
LeConk OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
garmin quest for trails

I use a zumo for my main bike, but have an old quest rigged on my little go anywhere serow. It's obviously out of date, obsolete, but is there a way to update it and get some tracks on it?
LeConk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeConk View Post
I use a zumo for my main bike, but have an old quest rigged on my little go anywhere serow. It's obviously out of date, obsolete, but is there a way to update it and get some tracks on it?
(Better late than never?)

I just bought a Quest very cheaply the other day and I like it. (What can I say, I'm a sucker for a cheap gps)

It needed a new battery which I found on eBay, and now that it's working normally, it seems to be a good little unit.
Unfortunately anytime you upload a map to the Quest, you're going to blow away the existing maps unless you included them as well in your map upload. The Quest 2 has pre-installed maps which won't be removed when you add more maps but that is not the case with the Quest.

I uploaded Garmin Topo maps to the Quest, but have not tried using it on the bike, let alone offroad, but I see no reason why it couldn't work as well as something like the 60C, etc. The Topo maps have auto-routing capabilities and it does navigate to street addresses well.

Here's a post by R-dubb which describes how to use Tracks in the Quest:

"Don't know if anyone still cares, but I've solved the Quest / Streetpilot track loading issue. As discussed in the How to make tracks mit Garmin, the streetpilots (inc Quests) don't have Saved Track capabilities. There is one big, Active Log. So when you download a track, or any number of tracks, from computer to receiver they all go into a single continuous log. (We already knew that!) Here the new part...

The downloaded tracks must be named: ACTIVE LOG, ACTIVE LOG 001, ACTIVE LOG 002, ETC. So, rename the tracks you want to download as such (Yes, must be all caps!). They will then load in order and show up on the map. If they have any other names, they will not load. You can load any number up to the total size of the Active Log. That would be 10,000 points for Quest. Oh, make sure you clear the memory before the download, or you will have a problem."

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 09:44 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote