Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #49531
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Brown Falcon. I am 5"10.5" I was having the same problem with touching the ground flat footed. I had the seat shaved down an inch and widen an inch and a half in the rear. So now it easier to touch the ground and it more comfortable on long trips. My local shop only charged me $25 to shave it down and staple the cover. Don't ask me for a picture because I don't know how.
I know a local guy who built a nice lowered seat for his KLR who said if I buy the materials he will make me a seat. And he works for beer!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #49532
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I wonder if shipping for 2 is the same amount???

Or 3. I'm interested. I'm in So Cal.

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #49533
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

RZ Rob
Or you could inquire what the shipping to Belgium is. I could forward your 3 on to you from the APO for standard US postal rates... If price works out, PM me and I'll get you an EU shipping address (though they might have to charge VAT - value added tax if it's shipped here.) Local purchases are an extra 21% for sales tax!!! Worth asking, though...
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #49534
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I wonder if shipping for 2 is the same amount???

Straight from the horses mouth...

Quote:
I have sold a lot into USA. Austrailia and south africa Several times in been in batches of 5 or 10.

Yes I do a 10% discount on 5 at a time.

Shipping for 1 is 35.00 Gbp then each of the next 4 increase by 15.00 Gbp each one.

But at the 6th the price jumps up silly and it starts again the 6th aproxx 35.00 the back to 15.00 for the 7th to 10
I assume those shipping charges are to one address, mine, as that is what I asked in the E-mail. To ship something that big the rest of the way across the country would probably be another $24+/-. Not too great.
The only way I see to do this and save any money is to order at least five and just have them shipped to your address. This option would be just under $150 and would save about $10 of the normal price. Not much but every bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor2of7 View Post
To answer a couple posts:
It's a RallyRaid fairing. I understand that their website no longer shows the XRL fairing but I recommend emailing them directly to see if you can get one.
It is still on their site...

http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F

Where did you get the windscreen that mounts on top? From RallyRaid or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Why do you prefer the Acerbis over the Clarke? Is it the double petcock? Better fit or quality plastic? Larger size? I'm not decided on which tank to pursue yet so input in this dept is certainly appreciated. I'm only leaning towards the Clarke right now because I prefer the look of it and don't anticipate needing the extra fuel range provided by the Acerbis.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with opinions and experiences with suspension adjustment.
For what it's worth I've used a stock, a IMS 4.0 gallon and a 5.8 Acerbis tank. Obviously the stock tank sucks for range but if you are offroad a lot still a good tank(weight consideration). The Clarke is close to the IMS. The IMS I got used and has been a great addition for the extra 1.2 gallons(50+ miles). Not too bulky and not too top heavy
I just installed the Acerbis a few weeks ago. Of course it's even better for range. I was worried about it being to wide but it's not really much wider then the IMS.
Bottom line anything other than the stocker will be a welcome addition. Another reason I bought the Acerbis, it was on sale at Justgastanks.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #49535
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
So the general feeling around here seems to be:

- Buy the Acerbis for the extra range and double petcocks.

- The weight isn't really noticable with the Acerbis

- If you are concerned with the weight, just don't fill it up all the way.

I just wish they offered the Acerbis tank in black. The only one I've found in black is the Clark 4.7
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #49536
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

I recommend the new, green, No-Toil Evolution filter oil,
Dis stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
he works for beer!
Domestic or imported? There's a BIG difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

RZ Rob
I'm sure by now you've seen my post above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy
(though they might have to charge VAT - value added tax if it's shipped here.) Local purchases are an extra 21% for sales tax!!! Worth asking, though...
21% would blow the budget clean out of the water!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #49537
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I just wish they offered the Acerbis tank in black. The only one I've found in black is the Clark 4.7
To be honest, I do more road than trail riding and if the 5.8 hadn't been on sale(which it still is BTW)

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_12_26

I would have opted for the Clark. The 4.0 IMS is IMO too expensive...when purchased new.

It's the smallest tank, yet the highest price! WTF?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #49538
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
To be honest, I do more road than trail riding and if the 5.8 hadn't been on sale(which it still is BTW)

I would have opted for the Clark. The 4.0 IMS is IMO too expensive...when purchased new.

Yeah, my Acerbis was about $230 with shipping. Plus I like the way it looks, and the possibility to carry more gas when needed, just seemed like a check in the plus category. The bike also seems to handle pretty good with only 1/2 tank. The gas is carried lower I think, and seems to handle just fine. Oh yeah, got mine at justgastanks as well. Had it in about two days . If you go this route, let me know, and I can tell you how I installed it, I was concerned after some of the install stories, but it was really easy, with just a few simple tricks. JMO

XR BADGER screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:16 PM
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #49539
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 845
Quote:

I thought the weight was very noticeable but like your third point says don't fill it if you don't want to deal with it. The weight is a minor issue when you compare how much mileage you get out of it. If my bike was still around I'd let you ride it.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #49540
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
5.8 tank. Another point that people are not mentioning. I really liked the range that the 5.8 gave me. But I just couldn't get over how wide the tank is. It would cause my knee braces to dig into my knees and legs. On multiple ride days it would give me a nasty friction burns. Now I have a 4.0 gal tank. should of gotten the 4.7 gal. Once in a while when I do plan a long trip ill car an extra half gal with in some gatoraid bottles or msr bottles.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #49541
Pillowcrusher
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
this should inspire you guys to stay alert and ride as defensive as you can as this kinda shit can happen to anybody!
Long time listener, first time caller here.

Seeing SubZero's accident post prompted me to finally get off my duff and post on this fine board.

First off to SubZero, heal up quick my friend, do all the physical therapists tell you to do, then do some more!

I had almost the same situation back in April on my XR650l, two lane country road, 45mph speed limit (which I was doing) I had a car turn directly in front of me to get to a driveway just as he did. I had no time to react and hit them head on. They said I flew over fifty feet. On the police report were the dreaded words "I didn't see him!" , they were cited for failure to yield, how they failed to see me is a mystery, I want to believe they were on the phone or otherwise not paying attention, but I can't say for sure because I was out cold, woke up right before my back surgery.

I was wearing ATGATT, but still had two spinal fractures (one requiring fusion), broken knee, torn rotator cuff, and the head strike gave me a bunch of fractured bones in the skull and double vision, back doc said I should have been dead on the road, he believed my size (I'm not a small guy by any means!) and the gear saved my life. I do have an attorney and he is still working my case. I was in the hospital and rehab facility a month and a half, still doing physical therapy trying to get back to work seven months later.(Glad to have an employer that will work with me!) I know it sounds crazy but I want to go back to work, the walls seem like they are closing in sometimes!

A word of caution to modular helmet wearers, I was wearing a Fulmer Modus, and the head strike sheared the entire flip up section off, if I get back on a bike it will be a one piece helmet for me. (I never saw the car, but they said I caved the roof in.)

If I get back on a bike remains to be seen, I'm not afraid of it, just don't know how my back will hold up. I've got a Kawasaki ZRX that still calls to me every time I walk by it. The XR is at a friends house, I am not able to fool with it yet but he says it does not look like the frame is bent, if it's OK I might try to get it back on the road, but would be wary because of the severity of the accident, might be selling some parts next year!

Once the attorney thing is complete I will post up all the details in "Face Plant", was holding off till the legal stuff is over.

I'm not really a "message board" kind of guy but will post up when I think I have something to add to the conversation, I've got a lot of help since I've been on here and hope I can help others in the future.

Once again to Sub Zero, heal up quick man!
Pillowcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #49542
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

You're right it still is on sale... That's a good price... When it's the same price as the Clarke it makes it kinda hard to dismiss as a less-than-viable option. Unfortunately the tank upgrade is low on my mod-priority list... hope to take care of it sometime next year. When the time comes I'll think long and hard (huh-huh) about the Acerbis vs Clarke. Thanks for the opinions/experiences! For now my big purchase upgrades include a rack (going with a manrack) and some new tires (leaning towards Kenda 270's for the price/reviews... unless I'm steered away?).

There are alot of smaller priced items that I'll be taking care of soon as deals become available...... Like my new Easton bar and mounts that came in today! I can't believe the total cost was around $30... What a great looking bar for that price! Can't wait to mount it!

Also... Went for my first short ride this afternoon without the smog kit... Bike's riding good... Very happy to have said goodbye to that wad of metal and tubing!!

absoluteclint screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:08 PM
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #49543
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
For the collective, anyone with USD's not like them? I'm getting ready to either have my suspension gone through and set up by a shop out here, or go with the USD set up. The cost is about the same. The shop leaned towards the stock set up, so now I am even more perplexed any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Secondary, I am looking for riders in my area, San Fernando valley to ride with. I'm a nOOb, and not sure where to go out here, and really think it might be prudent to travel with others during the learning curve.

And a big get well soon to sub zero.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #49544
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillowcrusher View Post
Long time listener, first time caller here.
First off: Welcome

Secondly: Get well soon!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #49545
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question Whats a decent brand/priced fork brace.....or any good brace for the xrl?

I have overall nicely working, revalved, slightly lowered suspension on my xrl. But every xr I've owned, including my 84 500 with very trick USD forks worth as much as the bike itself, love to push the front end. My xrl with the big IMS tank filled up and skyscraper tall suspension is no different.
I was on a nice little mellow ride the other day, and hit a bit of snow/ice...nothing too bad, but of course the front end washed/dumped instantly.....I was going slow, but the big ole girl with that full IMS tank fell like a redwood ....and of course the forks twisted bigtime, ended my ride, and I had to ride 30 miles home at sunset with my wheel facing front, and my bars and light facing right .

I would really love to find a way to keep the forks from twisting every time my bike decides it wants to take a quick dirt nap. I suspect the reason they twisted so easy was because I didn't torque them to spec last time I was straightening them from the previous owners spill.
But I still think they twist way too easy.........

I'd love some feedback on a reasonably priced fork brace to try, I'm open to all suggestions

Besides the fork twist issue and big ass IMS tank high up on the bike, I'm very happy with the suspension....it works great overall for my riding.
But I need to be able to fall over once in a while without having the front end twist up like a pretzel