User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 456
Talking Mexico/Costa Rica storage

Three of us are considering riding to South America from the US but we need to break it up into annual 2 week sections. Mexico says your bike needs to be out of the country in 6 months. Costa Rica says 90 days. I have read a little about bonded warehouses. I would like to be able to leave my bike securely and legally in Southern Mexico or Costa Rica for a year, then come back and ride south. Can anyone give me some direction?
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
San Jose Storage

We have 4 KLR's stored with Danny in a bonded warehouse. We will pick them up in early Jan and continue on to South America. Hopefully all paperwork is in order, I can let you know. I trust him and have emailed back and forth during the past year and moto's should be fine.

danny.alvarado@aeromar.co.cr</danny....@aeromar.co.cr>

ApexJeff screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:28 AM Reason: added email address
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

does Danny own the Bonded Warehouse? Can you give me the name contact info of the company? did the CR govt put a hold on your vehicle permit? Are the bikes in a secure environment? what was the cost? What I would really like is a container I could put 3 bikes into and then lock.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Bonded Warehouse

I would email him and ask those specific questions. He is just a manager for a large warehouse. It is quite large area with a lot of vehicles, under cover. Not the most secure area, but guarded. impossible to get a vehicle out.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

thanks, I will. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Osa

Take your time riding down, plan on at least a week in CR, with OSA Penninsula the best. Take a ride over to Drake and all the way down to Carate and spend time in Puerto Jimenez, these places are the real CR. I had property near Jimenez and spent time there. Its the real CR, alot of eco tourists but not as bad as the rest of CR. PM me for any more info, let me know your plans. Ride safe
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

thanks, I will
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

Does anyone know if you can get permission from Mexico to keep a bike in Mexico for up to a year?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,515
Temporary permits are 6 months max.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
mziegler
ziggy

Oddometer: 12
Any updates

I am heading to Costa Rica from Vegas ( where I stored my bike from Canada) next week. Want to leave my bike in Costa Rica for 6 months....any help? Can I only store in Gov't facility or can I store it anywhere?
mziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

San Jose Storage

Give him a call, ask him if they are the only resource for storing moto's and extending the 90 day permit. He was the only one we found, expensive, $70 a month, but it worked out well.

Danny Alvarado
Terminales Unidas
Manager
cel ph: (506) 8886-2057
off ph: (506) 2437-1987

danny.alvarado@aeromar.co.cr
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
mziegler
ziggy

Thanks will do - emailed earlier but have not heard - does he have a web site or an address?
Can you tell me if this post sounds right - it came from another blog on storage in CR.

This is the thread of the information:

"I found a decent way to store a vehicle in Costa Rica. You are allowed to suspend the temporary vehicle import paper if your car is stored in a registered govenment storage facility (Almacen Fiscal) These are run privately, and there are many by the San Jose airport. We shopped around and found one for 3$/ day. It seems pretty legit. So first, you store the vehicle, then you go to the customs office at the airport (aduana), and suspend the permit (this is free). Then you are allowed to leave the country. When you return, you go to the customs office to reinstate the remainder of the time you had left, then you pick up your vehicle and pay the storage warehouse. Seems pretty straightforward. We are storing our vehicle from mid April 2012 until we finish work (likely in September)"
"I did the exact same thing as Susie and Paul (see post above) in Costa Rica and it worked fine.
Stored my motorcycle at the almecen fiscal "Coco's" which is pretty close to the San Jose Int airport. You can store it indoors (moto only) for $3/day. They give you a paper, with it you go to the customs office and they freeze your TIP for free. Pretty simple. "

"I got my motorcycle back in San Jose a few months (JUNE 2012) back without any problems, and left the country with it.
I went first to the customs office to do a new import permit (you need to do a new one if you've left the vehicle for more than 3 months), for this you will need the paper from the Almecen Fiscal and all the regular paperwork (copy of title, passport etc...) and valid insurance, so the first step when coming back would actually be to buy insurance in a "INS" office before going to the customs.
Then with the new permit, went back to the Almecen Fiscal (in my case El Coco near the San Jose airport), paid for the storage and got the bike back. Simple as that.
Now I don't know about doing this with a different registration when coming back... As I said, after 3 months you need to make a new one anyway so it might be possible…"

So – the place I think they stored is at the following link:

http://www.almacenfiscalelcococr.com/
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds right

I think each bonded warehouse has a different approach, with the same result. The insurance is right on, make sure you have it before you go to aduana. Although you have to be patient waiting for the clearance,and getting it signed off, they were friendly and helpful. If you have the time you can probably negotiate a better rate and covered space from other bonded warehouses. Danny's was covered but dirty, they moved all the motos except mine,you have to leave them a key, I got a space next to a wall. Make sure you keep all original copies from Danny.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
mziegler
ziggy

English? Bonded Only

I don't speak Spanish, so I was hoping to be able to do this in English...what do you think the chance are there?
Also any idea of the amount of time I should allow for this process? I a day enough?

Also - does it have to be a bonded storage facility? I have a friend, who has a friend .....who he thinks might be able to store my bike...but it sounds like that would not work if I want to leave the country.

Thanks so much for your help
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
kalaharigeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
What did you end up doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog View Post
Three of us are considering riding to South America from the US but we need to break it up into annual 2 week sections. Mexico says your bike needs to be out of the country in 6 months. Costa Rica says 90 days. I have read a little about bonded warehouses. I would like to be able to leave my bike securely and legally in Southern Mexico or Costa Rica for a year, then come back and ride south. Can anyone give me some direction?
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote