User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Bier OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Ohio to Monterey CA off road?

In the next couple of years I really want to do a cross country trip off road but I've never really planned a trip of this sort before and was looking for some advice. I was looking at following the TAT from Tennessee out to Nevada as the route is already well planned out and I don't have to come up with the roads, but where it turns north in Nevada I'd really rather keep going west to go through Yosemite and eventually make the coast somewhere around Monterey/Carmel.
  • What's the best way to try to find routes through NV and CA? I've been looking through the forums but routes are all over the place when you look by states the routes are going in every conceivable direction. Guess I'm afraid of the missing out on what I don't know exists sort of thing.
  • Are there any good ways to estimate how long it will take? On road it's been easy to figure out for other trips since you don't need to worry about how technical a route may be or if you need to reroute.
Any help for a noob would be much appreciated, thanks
Bier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,101
There are no off-road routes through Yosemite available to you. Nor are their any from Yosemite to the Monterey Bay. Probably hasn't been for a century.

Why not take the TAT and then ride back on public tarmac through the areas you want to see?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Bier OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Why not take the TAT and then ride back on public tarmac through the areas you want to see?
I just really like the Monterey Bay area and thought I'd try to make it a destination (lived there for a year when in the Army plus visited often as I like the area). Plus in general I thought I'd try to figure out how to plan off road trips so I can do more of them in the future vs. the typical back road trips I do.
Bier is offline   Reply With Quote