Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #76
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Hey Jar, Is it feasible to do a reversible hybrid? I have an 08 christini 300 and would love to put my 520 into it for a trip out west.
Not with a 520 for sure. The 250/300 frames don't lend themselves to having that large of a motor without cutting.

I heard you picked up a christini. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to climb the glen burn.
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #77
Semtexsam
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Project started and first question already ;-)

Hi,
Hi,

ThIs is my first post in this forum, been visiting for a couple of years and to be honest I thought I was registered but now sorted. I have been through most of the forums reading about this project and will have some questions to ask from thime to time, may as well ask before making a mistake.

Now that Christmas is over it it time to start my winter project. Happy New Year everyone hope you all had a great time. January and Febuary are two if the darkest,coldest and possibly some snow so not much riding.

The swing arm has already been machined and all fits well at the back when placed with the engine. Took some measurements of the front of the frame and engine and wondering what others have done. The engine is 118.5 mm wide and the frame is 100.5 mm, I am assuming that the engine has to be narrowed. Is it as simple as shaving nine mil of each side ?.

Have not removed the lower mounts but planning to reuse them after the front has been sorted, is this possible or do I buy new ones from the likes of Dirt Tricks.

Any help will be appreciated especially if pictures are included.

Alan.
Semtexsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #78
overlander
Gravel Travel Tours

Oddometer: 379
Great stuff!

What a great assimilation of info about frame geometry and some excellent craftsmanship to boot! Keep up the good mod work!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #79
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
An interesting thing about the XC4 engine is there are some guys making them pretty solid with merging of the cases and new pistons and once they do that they are pretty solid. The RFS are great engines but I feel like they are really tall and the new chassis is pretty killer. I love how jar944 is modifying them using a merging of the new and old frames.

Once thought that crossed my mind was to use a 400 RFS and change the volume to 450 or larger, similar to the stroke of the later 450 XC4s, and then merge it in. Then you get the RFS with the performance of the later 450s. The 530s are the same stroke and bore as the old RFS 450cc and 510cc engines, so I feel like that would be pretty killer?
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #80
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtexsam View Post
Hi,
Hi,

ThIs is my first post in this forum, been visiting for a couple of years and to be honest I thought I was registered but now sorted. I have been through most of the forums reading about this project and will have some questions to ask from thime to time, may as well ask before making a mistake.

Now that Christmas is over it it time to start my winter project. Happy New Year everyone hope you all had a great time. January and Febuary are two if the darkest,coldest and possibly some snow so not much riding.

The swing arm has already been machined and all fits well at the back when placed with the engine. Took some measurements of the front of the frame and engine and wondering what others have done. The engine is 118.5 mm wide and the frame is 100.5 mm, I am assuming that the engine has to be narrowed. Is it as simple as shaving nine mil of each side ?.

Have not removed the lower mounts but planning to reuse them after the front has been sorted, is this possible or do I buy new ones from the likes of Dirt Tricks.

Any help will be appreciated especially if pictures are included.

Alan.
a 450 frame should be around 1-2mm narrower than the front mount, are you using a 250 frame? The mounts are easy enough to reuse if you are careful. I don't believe DT is selling any hybrid parts anymore, so you would have to make your own if you were unable to re-use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
An interesting thing about the XC4 engine is there are some guys making them pretty solid with merging of the cases and new pistons and once they do that they are pretty solid. The RFS are great engines but I feel like they are really tall and the new chassis is pretty killer. I love how jar944 is modifying them using a merging of the new and old frames.

Once thought that crossed my mind was to use a 400 RFS and change the volume to 450 or larger, similar to the stroke of the later 450 XC4s, and then merge it in. Then you get the RFS with the performance of the later 450s. The 530s are the same stroke and bore as the old RFS 450cc and 510cc engines, so I feel like that would be pretty killer?
True there is less reason to do these now (unless you already have a RFS sitting) the 09+ RF4 and the 10+ xc4 motors seem to have all the bugs worked out.

As for the 400 into a 450 Thumper has a custom 95mm piston to make it a 453 with a stock 525 cylinder. Everyone that has one seems to love it...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #81
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

560 cylinder with a 8mm spacer and a 102mm bore...

95mm vs 102mm

I also ordered one of these today... 78mm's of billet perfection. I'm thinning the herd and combining my Dual sport and hillclimb hybrids so I needed a crank that isn't going to die @ 20 hours.

and a fun pic.. 5 reasons people hate the RF4 motors.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #82
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Hey you have enough heads to start building a rf4 based V6 motor...

Those new engine bits look impressive. What are the big bore RFS motors like on the road as far as vibrations and steady throttle cruising?

(Maybe you never keep a steady throttle but you did mention dualsport)
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #83
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey you have enough heads to start building a rf4 based V6 motor...

Those new engine bits look impressive. What are the big bore RFS motors like on the road as far as vibrations and steady throttle cruising?

(Maybe you never keep a steady throttle but you did mention dualsport)
I think a RF4 v6 would be fun.. 312hp / 204tq (likely more in a multi configuration) 2.7 liter motor with a 8K peak and 11.5K redline

Regarding dual sporting and vibrations. I haven't noticed a difference/increase in vibes between the 525/570 motors. The new crank will be balanced to the 102mm piston so it should be close as far as vibes are concerned.

Oh and think I have a way to make a 300 and 525 bolt into the same frame...but it requires a 525 cradle swap
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #84
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=jar944;20563167

Oh and think I have a way to make a 300 and 525 bolt into the same frame...but it requires a 525 cradle swap[/QUOTE]

I would love to have that as an option for the X-tini chassis. Would the 2 stroke tank fit over the RFS motor? the RFS cradle shouldn't be too hard to find
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #85
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I would love to have that as an option for the X-tini chassis. Would the 2 stroke tank fit over the RFS motor? the RFS cradle shouldn't be too hard to find
i'm not sure with the 2t tank. I have a spare sxf tank if you want it. both the sxf and xcf tanks fit the rfs hybrids.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #86
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
2 stroke tank will definitely fit. Even the XC-W 3 gal tank... They are both a little taller whereas the 4 stroke tank comes a little deeper, so it's a slightly better option...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #87
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
2 stroke tank will definitely fit. Even the XC-W 3 gal tank... They are both a little taller whereas the 4 stroke tank comes a little deeper, so it's a slightly better option...
have you tried on a hybrid?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #88
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the tank that would hopefully still work

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #89
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

wow.. I see the tank issue.

and one I didn't think of. The rfs cradle is wider at the top than your current frame. Pipe clearance on the right side may be a issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #90
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Billet stroker crank webs showed up today