Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #991
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
I just ordered a Cee Baileys "Baja" windscreen for my new Terra. http://www.ceebaileys.com/baja_design/index.html Looks like it should fit up just fine, maybe with some light trim work at the bottom to fit the Husky light. I ordered it without holes so that I can drill my own. It appears to be about the same height as BigDogs, and has the turned up lip at the top to divert air from your helmet. Hope it works and I will post pics when it comes in and gets mounted.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #992
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
The Terras STILL have not arrived at my dealer, or even any on the east coast that I've seen.
I put a deposit on mine about a month ago and have just been sitting around, waiting. There's was rumor that they'd arrive the second week of November, which is realistically the third week. In the third week now and no word from my dealer, whom said they would call/email if they got a tracking number on the shipment.
Don't know if the next shipment of Husky's has arrived yet. When my local Pacific Northwest Husky rep dropped off his demo bike at my house for a few hours on 11/11 he said there were 90 units of Terra/Strada on a boat still in transit. It's been a couple of weeks, so they should be getting to dealers.

BTW, I really liked the bike and test rode it for several hours, mostly focusing on the main uses BigDog mentions, and that is a very capable and smooth "dirt looking" thumper on the street. It is more than adequate for the type of offroading most ADV riders will do, namely mild to moderate gravel and dirt roads/two-track. With a capable rider and a bit of suspension work it could easily be ridden on mild to moderate single trail. It seems folks have a short memory of how bikes were 20 and even 30 years ago... not nearly as capable as this "street" dual sport TR is, and people then rode those old heavy beasts (like my XT500 in the late 70's and XR500 in early 80's) in very hard terrain, dunes, technical trails, etc. We're just super spoiled these days with so much choice and super light, powerful and trick bikes available to compare to.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #993
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i was looking at bikes we don't see in the US and saw a picture of the Brazilian only Honda XRE300 that was released a few years ago.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472034
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XRE300
and it struck me how similar these bikes look.

did husky designers draw any inspiration from the XRE?

What do you mean it's not like they are both red!

Still waiting for the bike to show up at dealers in Canada...or actually BC!

Dave
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #994
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
I just ordered a Cee Baileys "Baja" windscreen for my new Terra. http://www.ceebaileys.com/baja_design/index.html Looks like it should fit up just fine, maybe with some light trim work at the bottom to fit the Husky light. I ordered it without holes so that I can drill my own. It appears to be about the same height as BigDogs, and has the turned up lip at the top to divert air from your helmet. Hope it works and I will post pics when it comes in and gets mounted.
blaisew- I have the Cee-Bailey on my little wr250r. It has that little flip on top too. It works really great for me. I bought a KTM 690 and mounted their touring screen, which is about the same size. It doesn't work as well as the Cee-Bailey, though. Post up pics when you get it mounted.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #995
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
RE toolkit

Looks like T50 is the largest torx bolt on the machine.
My little combo set only goes to 40 so I ordered some L shaped ones from McMaster Carr for the onboard toolkit.
Don't know my torx sizes real well so I ordered all the way to 60.
Nothing wrong with a coupla extra tools. Gonna be a helluva auction at my place one of these days.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #996
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
2 weeks till they are for sale down under. Holidays booked, luggage loops ready to go on - we just need the weather to cool down a tad.

After how many miles is the first service due? and

What does it entail?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #997
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I never change oil filters every oil change------that too is a waste of time and money.
For no more than a filter costs, I can't imagine not doing that. I look at filter money as insurance, since I want more oil going through the element than the bypass valve. Please, don't tell me you use Hi-Flo filters.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #998
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 204
valve adj. intervals

Never have figured out how Yamaha gets away with 26K mile checks.That is double and triple the interval for eveyone else.One reason to like Yamaha.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #999
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
I pick mine up this saturday or tuesday..hooray!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #1000
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Please, don't tell me you use Hi-Flo filters.

O-my-God what have I been doing!? I've been using HI-Flo filters on dozens of bikes for thousands of miles. I'm so lucky I've never had an oil flow related problem yet but my time is coming.... I'm rolling the dice.... poking the bear with a stick...... playing with matches.......... running with scissors... etc.

Pray for me....

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #1001
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
For no more than a filter costs, I can't imagine not doing that. I look at filter money as insurance, since I want more oil going through the element than the bypass valve. Please, don't tell me you use Hi-Flo filters.

How about explaining about the Hi-Flo filters, do you see a problem in using them?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #1002
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Used HiFlo and Rotella for years on several bikes, not the place for this garbage.

Back on track, how many miles are on the Husky BigDog? I looked at some larger ADV bikes this weekend and I can not justify the pricetag, so I am back to looking at new/reliable dual sports and the Italian KLR sounds very promising, just wish Hall's was closer than 4 hours away
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1003
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hi 30Bones------------I've got about 2,500 miles on it so far. Oh--heck 4 hrs. ain't so far---------you'll not need to go back anyway after you buy it

The Husky skidplate is on it's way to my house------I'll post it up when I get it mounted-------the Motoportz one has been promised some time ago but has never appeared--------so I just went with the Husky one--------should have it on tomorrow as a matter of fact--------expensive booger------I got 20% off and I think it still was $165 or something like that---I forgot exactly. I've never seen it-----hope I like it.

Mark
Yeah I only took my 08 610 in once after I bought it used to get it tuned. Turns out the water temp sensor liked to go bad in it. Replaced it twice so the trip wasn't really needed. Good excuse to eat a horseshoe at D'arcy's tho
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #1004
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Seems like you could just get some plastic spacers from the hardware store to lift it off a bit and allow some airflow under the screen. Sort of a poor man's Madstad bracket.
You can also cut small lengths off your neighbours garden hose.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #1005
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you can see a pic of the skid plate here. not on the bike but it looks large enough. http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/i...ochure_fnl.pdf
Here is a pic of it on the bike

K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote