ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
I've also had good luck with their batteries, and they have more CCA then the stock Yuasa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I bought a Power Source brand AGM for $79 USD (cheep Chinee battree) and it worked well for over 3 years. The only reason I replaced it (with another Power Source brand cheep Chinee battree) was because I was paranoid about cheep Chinee battrees. But I have run this new cheep Chinee batriee for over two year, not on a tender, and being ridden only once every couple of months and its still good to go. So, for me, 2 thumbs up for cheep Chinee batriees.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
frunta_sti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
My YTZ 14 S (bike purchased and used in Europe), lasted 8 years and started to give me problems, early this winter, ones the tempereture dropped down to 3 deg C at night. (37,4 Farenheit).

Pretty good for a stock original battery, I think.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Is it unreasonable to expect it to be able to sit idle a week or two without being in a tender?
No it isn't I work away from home 2 weeks at a time and about 60% of the time I remember to put my tender on and I'm still on the stock battery after almost 5 years and 70K. Granted it doesn't get the heat exposure it would in Cali but if your batt is good it shoud last for 2 weeks.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
If you want a 10 year battery

If you want to have a battery that will last about 10 years-------or maybe more.
Maybe you won't have the bike that long---but you can depend on it.
I

Do what I did and put a Odyssey PC-310 in it.
The Odyssey in my KLR is 11 years old-------has never been on a charger ....it has never failed to start the bike.
It will crank your bike over way better than a stock battery.
It is smaller physically than the stock battery and it comes with pads to shim it in------very easy install.

Now--------someone on here is going to pipe in and say the specs on the battery aren't up to what the stock battery is.
And they are right. You can talk technical bull all you want---------don't mean diddly squat to me.

The Odyssey battery with the correct specs---------won't fit in the battery box. A very few have modified the battery box to fit it-------a huge, huge project.

However--------they'll be wrong in thinking it doesn't work---i've had one in my 950 for a couple of years and every time i hit the starter I'm reminded how strong this battery is.

10 years down the road it will probably still be crankin' the bike over.

Not cheap--------$180 or so --------not sure exactly ???

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I think that I got 4 years out of the stock battery. I bought the bike (06) used in 08. I put 2 years on the battery after I bought it before it went bad and wouldn't take a charge. The next battery lasted about a year and a half and died suddenly when going down the highway. I replaced it last year, and haven't had any battery problems since. I don't really pay attention to the brand. I just get it based on the price and availability. If somebody has one in stock that fits and I need a battery, I go and get it.

I use a battery tender jr. when it is cold out.

I took the bike to the shop up in CDA twice, and I was told twice that my battery was junk and they tried to make me buy another one. After getting it home, the battery always charged right back up and never gave me any problems. I took them a perfectly running bike and got it back with a flat battery twice.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
propilot10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Well I finally got around to getting to the dealer. (Freaking Xmas) they replaced it under warranty and next week will be checking the bike for anything that may be a draw on the bike and make sure the charging system is working properly.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote