Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #256
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
Questions:
1. How much of the trip did you plan in advance? And more in particular, what did you do about lodging reservations? Did you have some key places with reservations or was each night planned? How far in advance? If you made some on the road, how difficult was it to find places?
2. How frequently did you stop for pictures (given how much there was to see and take)? What camera did you have, and how did you carry it? Did you mostly shoot from the bike or ...?
3. What computer gear did you take? Did you upload photos and try to write about each day's ride each evening? Did you have a way of making notes to yourself during the ride each day, or just depend upon a good memory when reviewing the pix each evening? (I always think of things while riding that I really want to keep, but at the end of the day if I still have 10% I'm lucky).
4. I'm only up to post 104 - have you posted your itinerary somewhere? The route or track?
All are great questions that i'm curious the answer to as well.

This ride report has inspired me to seriously consider making this trip.

Thanks all!

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G - For Sale
1980 Kawaski KDX 250
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #257
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
This ride report has inspired me to seriously consider making this trip.
Agreed, this was a great RR, and it has inspired me to go back. Loved it the first time, and think the second time will be even better.

At as certain point, you can read everything on going to AK and back, but at a certain point, it comes to your own experience. The first time I went, I was fairly tentative on the camping thing. This time around I will be a lot looser. And everyone is different, in their abilities, endurance, and available vacation time.

For me, my vacation time and finances are both limited.Last time, 16 days from TX to AK and back. This time I might be able to stretch it to 19 days, but that is a long time to be out of TX. And there will be a lot of honey-do's to get done before hand, and I think another dog.

Cheers!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #258
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
RefJeff, I feel bad about not visiting the RR for awhile. I saw you had several questions, so I thought I'd address them.

1. DonnyO did a TON of work making reservations. He mapped out the trip, decided where we'd stay each night, and made sure we had a motel/hotel each evening. Our wives were convinced we'd be bear food if we camped, so they wanted us to have a roof over our head each night - we weren't complaining! He made the reservations about three months in advance. The two times we had to find rooms due to unforeseen circumstances worked out just fine. One time on the fly was our day up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle. We had planned on camping that night (carried a tent and sleeping bags for that one night) along the Dalton at Yukon River. As it turned out, it was 46F, rainy, and we were soaked. We were making good time (thanks to our Heidenau K60s), so we made a decision early in the day to make the return trip to Fairbanks. Our GPSs had hotel numbers that came in handy. The second time was when my bike broke down outside Chitna on our way back from McCarthy. We were able to find a hotel in Anchorage for a couple nights as we awaited the BMW shop opening Tuesday morning.

2. We didn't have a prescribed amount of time we spent for pics. I'd usually follow DonnyO to get action shots as we rode. With my hand as the camera mount, I'd snap whenever I saw something I liked. For every road shot you see up here, there are 10-15 that didn't make the cut. Often, I'd see something along the side of the road and it would take another three miles to get my creative juices flowing. Then, I'd catch DonnyO and give him the "flip a U" hand signal. Back we'd go to stage whatever I'd dreamed up. Ex:

3. As for technical gear, I brought a Macbook Air, iPhone, Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS, BMW NAV IV GPS and a Chatterbox. Each night, it was a Canon ---> Macbook sync via USB to load photos, upload to photobucket, write a story, and link photobucket pics into the story. I tried to do it each evening to keep the inmates sated, but there were nights where wifi didn't exist. I suppose you could take notes throughout the day. During a day's ride, I created little rhymes in my head of places seen, rivers crossed, etc., and tried to recall that info as best I could when writing in the evenings.

4. I haven't loaded our route. I may be able to put something together. If I can figure out how, I'll upload the trip.

PM me your RR link. I'd love to see how you find your way to AK and back!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote