Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #11296
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990 trailblazer View Post
hey guys it don't happen often but we have a chance to ride some gravel and should be (mostly) dust free. Saturday weather in forecasted good and I'm looking for a few good men to join me, heck I'll even take some not so good. Meetup at truck stop in Utica 09:00 saturday morning and we'll make a day of it. What say ye?
I have a weekend off from taking my son hunting forest rats, but my Katoom is in serious need of a valve check. Maybe the valve check can wait. I might be in!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #11297
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Tenere- battery
Are you saying that you already had to replace the battery on your S10? How many miles does it have?
Just curious because I'm still using the original battery on my T8 & I've never put it on a charger. I guess the huge alternator is doing its job.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #11298
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Are you saying that you already had to replace the battery on your S10? How many miles does it have?
Just curious because I'm still using the original battery on my T8 & I've never put it on a charger. I guess the huge alternator is doing its job.

Wonder if he has checked his S10 wheel spokes. Heard from several people that have had trouble with spokes coming loose... Yamaha won't admit it is a problem but the message boards are full of people buying aftermarket wheels from Woody to fix the problem. I'd go after Yamaha as many as their are out there failing...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #11299
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I saw that too.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #11300
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Wonder if he has checked his S10 wheel spokes. Heard from several people that have had trouble with spokes coming loose... Yamaha won't admit it is a problem but the message boards are full of people buying aftermarket wheels from Woody to fix the problem. I'd go after Yamaha as many as their are out there failing...
[roymode]

The wheels are soft if you ride in rocks. It's a 575lb bike before you add a (usually) overweight rider/hard bags/crash bars/espresso machine. Don't ride it in rocks like it's a KTM 450exc and the wheels are just fine. As for the spokes coming loose, that happens with spoked wheel bikes on occasion. It's good practice to check them periodically. If I find a loose one, I sure won't go crying to Yamaha or Got Gear about it.

The wheel issues may say more about how hard folks are riding the Tenere vs. how they are riding the other bikes...
[/roymode]

The battery has never cranked the bike over with much authority. If I lived in Jackson I'd go to GG about it. I let it sit for a week over thanksgiving in a cold garage and came back to find it dead. As in instrument panel wouldn't even come on kind of dead (about 4.5 volts, I measured). Put it on a trickle charger and 8 hours later it would slowly crank over, so yeah, it's shot.

Gonna put a new battery in it tomorrow and start checking for any voltage leaks. May have just been a weak/old battery from day one... Bike has about 8k miles on it. When I sold my strom it had 45k miles on it on a 5 year old original battery, so who knows
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #11301
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:

The battery has never cranked the bike over with much authority. If I lived in Jackson I'd go to GG about it. I let it sit for a week over thanksgiving in a cold garage and came back to find it dead. As in instrument panel wouldn't even come on kind of dead (about 4.5 volts, I measured). Put it on a trickle charger and 8 hours later it would slowly crank over, so yeah, it's shot.

Gonna put a new battery in it tomorrow and start checking for any voltage leaks. May have just been a weak/old battery from day one... Bike has about 8k miles on it. When I sold my strom it had 45k miles on it on a 5 year old original battery, so who knows
I replaced mine under warranty after the batter tender failed without me knowing it and the GPS376C drained it( common to the GPS276/376). Now I unplug the Garmin when I'm not riding it. The S10 firing order and compression may have something to do with the slow crank.

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #11302
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
I replaced mine under warranty after the batter tender failed without me knowing it and the GPS376C drained it( common to the GPS276/376). Now I unplug the Garmin when I'm not riding it. The S10 firing order and compression may have something to do with the slow crank.
Yeah. I have a Eastern Beaver power block installed for the lights and GPS mount. The lights are switched and the GPS mount was empty during the holiday. I'll check that out first. Kind of figured it just cranked slow because that's the way it is. We'll see tomorrow.

I'm not scheduled to be in Jackson for two weeks or I'd exchange it there. I don't darken Village Cycle's door anymore.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #11303
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Yeah. I have a Eastern Beaver power block installed for the lights and GPS mount. The lights are switched and the GPS mount was empty during the holiday. I'll check that out first. Kind of figured it just cranked slow because that's the way it is. We'll see tomorrow.

I'm not scheduled to be in Jackson for two weeks or I'd exchange it there. I don't darken Village Cycle's door anymore.
My original wasn't prep'd right when installed. I don't think the battery they gave the S10 has enough ass to give the crank a lively spin due to the crank configuration and the compression that the bike has. The bike needs a compression release like some of the 4 stroke dirt bikes.

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #11304
990 trailblazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Hmmm... so us "not so good" are welcome and won't hold the ride up too bad?

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Yea, all who may enjoy a day out on motorcycles (and KLRs) are welcome, The pace and the route can be adjusted as necessary.
990 trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #11305
Unclejimmy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
FYI and dFR PSA # 345:

There are still a few dFR shirts at my house and I'm trying to figure out who I need to get them to...

Switchblade, BZ and BZ son: I still have the three that y'all paid for, so i will try to arrange a ride up that way to drop them off for you unless one of y'all are going to be down this way before I get up there...

Carabnsol: I know you ordered another one...

Is anyone else missing one that paid for one?
I was supposed to pick up Randy Fryers shirt but ,,,,,I forgot!!!! UJ.
Unclejimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #11306
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Yea, all who may enjoy a day out on motorcycles (and KLRs) are welcome, The pace and the route can be adjusted as necessary.
Hey Bob----

RIDE --RIDE--RIDE

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #11307
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
Yea the Tenere's are falling apart

Guess Nick Sanders got a good one, BTW he never needed a chain and sprockets

Get a battery tender every bike needs one if you don't like buying batteries. Never had battery trouble with my bike. Yes a spoke or three has come loose on the rear wheel. Lanny fixed it locally and I have filed a complaint with Yamaha and got a decent response, they are looking into it.

Guess we can't all own a Triumph

not that we'd won't one when we already got the best.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #11308
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
[roymode]

The wheels are soft if you ride in rocks. It's a 575lb bike before you add a (usually) overweight rider/hard bags/crash bars/espresso machine. Don't ride it in rocks like it's a KTM 450exc and the wheels are just fine. As for the spokes coming loose, that happens with spoked wheel bikes on occasion. It's good practice to check them periodically. If I find a loose one, I sure won't go crying to Yamaha or Got Gear about it.

The wheel issues may say more about how hard folks are riding the Tenere vs. how they are riding the other bikes...
[/roymode]
good answer...

which reminds me, does your bike glow in the dark or that just Roys?

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #11309
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
gee thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #11310
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatalotapeaches View Post
which reminds me, does your bike glow in the dark or that just Roys?
We call it the "Trophy feature." Makes it easier to find your bike around the campfire.

How's the arm coming along?