ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #6061
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 568
Awesome, thanks. How do you access files on your Droid phone or tablet?!
I think my ideal rig would be a mac ipad mini and then use google maps or similar to do the routing and somehow get them over to the montana. I'm guessing Basecamp on an ipad is a longshot although there is a new Garmin Basecamp app but it's more for the wristwatch gps people that like to workout.

Maybe I need to rethink my Apple fan boy status for this and use a small Droid tablet.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #6062
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I think my ideal rig would be a mac ipad mini and then use google maps or similar to do the routing and somehow get them over to the montana. I'm guessing Basecamp on an ipad is a longshot although there is a new Garmin Basecamp app but it's more for the wristwatch gps people that like to workout.

Maybe I need to rethink my Apple fan boy status for this and use a small Droid tablet.
I have had one of each iPhone up to the 4s, but now I am done with apple.

You can do so much more with an android now, and not have everything locked to and accessed exclusively through one iTunes equipped machine.

The new Samsung Galaxy Note II has a uSD card slot in it, that would enable file manipulation as needed of the uSD car din your GPSr, while others are already using OTG cables to directly access, download, and otherwise manipulate their GPSr files with other android devices.

Here is a Google Nexus 7 tablet using an OTG cable.

atlas cached screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 02:33 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #6063
guavadude
de-composer

Maybe Apple will open things up a bit with the thunderbolt plug but I doubt it.

Having trouble moving the CN map to the SD card. I first tried just dragging it over on my desktop but it choked at the end saying there was an error reading the file. Then I tried Javawa MOVE function and it appeared to be working and then apparently choked at the end as well. I renamed the file and inserted spaces so I'm going to see if that's the issue.

One thing I'm a little confooosed about is the gmapsupp.img file. So when you install using MapInstall it wants to create one large gmapsupp.img, then you need to move that to the card and rename it to install something else to the internal...is that right?

Or use Javawa to move the file?

Also in Javawa I see how you can enable the maps to be seen in Basecamp but is this even necessary if I've installed the maps in Basecamp?
I've done it and they are being loaded now by Basecamp, just not sure why you'd want that.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #6064
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Maybe Apple will open things up a bit with the thunderbolt plug but I doubt it.

Having trouble moving the CN map to the SD card. I first tried just dragging it over on my desktop but it choked at the end saying there was an error reading the file. Then I tried Javawa MOVE function and it appeared to be working and then apparently choked at the end as well. I renamed the file and inserted spaces so I'm going to see if that's the issue.

One thing I'm a little confooosed about is the gmapsupp.img file. So when you install using MapInstall it wants to create one large gmapsupp.img, then you need to move that to the card and rename it to install something else to the internal...is that right?

Or use Javawa to move the file?

Also in Javawa I see how you can enable the maps to be seen in Basecamp but is this even necessary if I've installed the maps in Basecamp?
I've done it and they are being loaded now by Basecamp, just not sure why you'd want that.
Huh. Should be able to simply cut/paste in Windows Explorer.

Yes, each time MapInstall sends a map, it uses gmapsupp.img for the file name. I rename them as soon as they are finished, then copy/move them as needed. Then, start sending the next map.

Enabling maps on your GPSr for visibility in BaseCamp is only useful if you want to use those maps in BaseCamp. If you already have them installed on your computer, you probably do not want to waste time waiting for BaseCamp to read and index each redundant map every time you connect your device.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #6065
guavadude
de-composer

I'm on a mac but yeah I thought just dragging it from the internal garmin drive to the SD should do it since it's an .img.
I don't think it's the spaces in the name because my OSM has that and it's working fine.
I've quit Basecamp and Javawa and am trying the direct approach again.
At least I know what I'm aiming for now so thanks a ton for the help.
I searched and read and searched some more, sometimes it's hard to find the direct answer to a semi direct question.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #6066
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Security screw fix

Thanks for a most excellent howto on resolving this pesky problem. I have never been able to secure my Montana in its rugged mount and guessed the captive screw they used was a bit too short. Your post resolved that question for me.

I wonder why, seeing as you have access to a lathe, you didn't make a new bolt that was just slightly longer than the original, enough to grab a few more threads? No criticism intended here. I ask only out of curiosity.

I was considering extending the reach of the original screw by drilling the bolt hole a little deeper, thus allowing a few extra threads to catch. I don't have a lathe, or any machine tools because I'm visiting Thailand, but I might be able to pull this type of repair off. Do you think the mount is thick enough at that point to allow this fix?

AlaskaDave screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 06:29 PM Reason: forgot to add title of original post
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #6067
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

Enabling maps on your GPSr for visibility in BaseCamp is only useful if you want to use those maps in BaseCamp. If you already have them installed on your computer, you probably do not want to waste time waiting for BaseCamp to read and index each redundant map every time you connect your device.
Drag and drop worked fine for the copying once I quit Basecamp which makes sense since the file was in use by it.

I did find out that it's better to use Javawa to make the Montana's internal maps visible in Basecamp than just loading them into Basecamp on their own. It only has to load them the first time, after that they are available without loading.
The big difference is that the maps are layered like they are in the unit but in Basecamp without the Montana they are standalone maps.....a topo of AR doesn't have the world map underneath it.

At least that's how it's working in the Mac version. YMMV.

Now on to learn about creating custom maps with terrain view!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #6068
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
I wonder why, seeing as you have access to a lathe, you didn't make a new bolt that was just slightly longer than the original, enough to grab a few more threads?
If you look back, my lathe turns out to be a drill and a file.
And I specifically wanted a bolt much longer than the original, and with more threads on the end, so it secures the mount better and will be finger operated, with no need to faff around with extra key(tool).

You can also get - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223922

But any machinist will be able to spin something similar out in no time!
Take a walk around suburbs of Thailand and ask around some sheds.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #6069
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,972
Quote:
Easy!

Pop the microSD card into the phone, open up ES File Explorer (or any other file management app, I use X-Plore) and move, copy, rename, delete, etc.

Android phones are just little computers running Android OS. They can manipulate FAT32 data cards just fine.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #6070
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
I hope I didn't screw up.
I ordered CN NA off Amazon ($61)
I had refined the search for the DVD/CDROM version.
As it turns out, they are sending me the micro card version. I hope it's not a big deal.
What's best? Should I send the micro card back, and get it on disc?
What's the best way to run it on the Montana? And how do I get it in my laptop? If I need it there? If not, how do you do route planning? Base camp?
If you haven't picked it up yet from my questions, I'm not particularly computer or GPS adept.
Don't flame me.. I'm sensitive
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #6071
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
As it turns out, they are sending me the micro card version. I hope it's not a big deal.
What's the best way to run it on the Montana? And how do I get it in my laptop? If I need it there? If not, how do you do route planning? Base camp?
If you haven't picked it up yet from my questions, I'm not particularly computer or GPS adept.
Don't flame me.. I'm sensitive
Send it back, and get the DVD version.

Only advantage to uSD version is you don't need a computer to install it, and the uSD card can be swapped from one GPSr to another, as the map is locked to the uSD card.

You can use the map in BaseCamp so long as your GPSr is connected with the map card installed.

If you do not want to use the uSD card slot for your own card and data, you may be OK.

The DVD version will install to your computer, and you can use the map in BaseCamp at will. You will also be able to send all or parts of the map to your GPSr as desired/needed.... to your own uSD card, which you can also have other maps and GPS data installed on. You will have to activate your GPSr - and it will be the only GPSr that can read the maps outside of BaseCamp.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #6072
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. I thought so. Crap!
$92 v $62. Figures..
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)

MizzouRider screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:17 AM
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #6073
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Since I have more than one Garmin devices that can us CNNA and do not need frequent updates, I got the uSD card version so I can use CNNA on multiple devices without having to purchase more than one license. If you have and will only have one gps device and/or want frequent map updates, the DVD version is probably the best option for you.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #6074
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Since I have more than one Garmin devices that can us CNNA and do not need frequent updates, I got the uSD card version so I can use CNNA on multiple devices without having to purchase more than one license. If you have and will only have one gps device and/or want frequent map updates, the DVD version is probably the best option for you.
I sold the 2730, and will sell the 60CSx, if the Montana works out. I have CNNA on my laptop now, but it was tied to another GPS (I thought) I had lifetime Updater for it, but once again, I thought it was tied to the 2730. When I called Garmin, they told me to start over w all new maps.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #6075
socaltrailrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Old maps?

I reveived my Montana and CN 2013 this week. I was running an older bootlegged 2010 version of CN on my 76CSX, so I upgraded. The question I have is I also have older Mapsouce maps, Topo West and Roads & Recreation. Anyone use these on the Montana? Neither shows up in Base Camp(they do show up in Mapsource on the same laptop), but they were listed as being able to install to the Montana when I used Mapinstaller. However, when the install was done, only City Nav is on the Montana. BTW, I really like the unit so far. Also, Base Camp seems fairly easy to use as well.
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote