User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #49546
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
Ah yes... a fork brace!

Yet another thing I want to buy, but have no funds for...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #49547
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
Sierra Thumper. I have been running the RSWracing.com fork brace. I had the same problem with my L. I changed the springs and oil in the forks along with the brace. It did change the way the bike tracked on the trail. I feel if you work on the internal parts of the forks a brace is a must do. Here is a link http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #49548
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Tom... Thanks for sharing that figure (4.5")... Always good to know stock facts/figures. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing with the suspension. I do not plan on riding MX so it sounds like I may be able to get by with simply adjusting the sag and saving some cash for other mods!

Why do you prefer the Acerbis over the Clarke? Is it the double petcock? Better fit or quality plastic? Larger size? I'm not decided on which tank to pursue yet so input in this dept is certainly appreciated. I'm only leaning towards the Clarke right now because I prefer the look of it and don't anticipate needing the extra fuel range provided by the Acerbis.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with opinions and experiences with suspension adjustment.
Keep in mind the xrl is a TALL bike that carries its fuel load high, that 5.8 tank is going to make your bike feel ungodly top-heavy. I'm running an IMS 4.7 gallon according to the previous owner, and even with my bike professionally lowered/resprung/revalved, and me being 6'3", my bike is still too tall and top heavy with the big tank on it. I would NEVER put a 5.8 on unless I was going on an intercontinental adventure ride. You'll never need that much fuel, and the weight and size destroys the handling and fun factor of the xrl off road.
Might as well just pick up a KLR instead
My next tank will be a 4 gallon......and thats what I would recommend for you as well
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #49549
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Fork Brace

http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #49550
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
I wish I knew why my mileage has been so bad lately...

When I first got the bike (with 52/162 jets installed by previous owner) it was getting 50 mpg. Now after rejetting to 55/158 I'm lucky to get 40, usually only 35.

Part of it is probably that I'm making shorter trips commuting to school instead of longer rides like I was in the summer. Just wish the mileage was better.

Could the clutch going or valves needing adjustment possibly be part of this?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #49551
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have overall nicely working, revalved, slightly lowered suspension on my xrl. But every xr I've owned, including my 84 500 with very trick USD forks worth as much as the bike itself, love to push the front end. My xrl with the big IMS tank filled up and skyscraper tall suspension is no different.
I was on a nice little mellow ride the other day, and hit a bit of snow/ice...nothing too bad, but of course the front end washed/dumped instantly.....I was going slow, but the big ole girl with that full IMS tank fell like a redwood ....and of course the forks twisted bigtime, ended my ride, and I had to ride 30 miles home at sunset with my wheel facing front, and my bars and light facing right .

I would really love to find a way to keep the forks from twisting every time my bike decides it wants to take a quick dirt nap. I suspect the reason they twisted so easy was because I didn't torque them to spec last time I was straightening them from the previous owners spill.
But I still think they twist way too easy.........

I'd love some feedback on a reasonably priced fork brace to try, I'm open to all suggestions

Besides the fork twist issue and big ass IMS tank high up on the bike, I'm very happy with the suspension....it works great overall for my riding.
But I need to be able to fall over once in a while without having the front end twist up like a pretzel

You didn't put the front tire against a tree and twist it back???

Thats why I'm going with USD's. I'm sick of the front end being tweaked.

By the time the USD fork swap is done it will have cost me $375.00 for the parts. Subtract the stock forks and wheel that I sold for $200.00. It makes it a very cost effective upgrade for me.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #49552
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Fork Brace

Marko (therealbigman) had some Fork Braces Summers Racing I think that he was selling for a fairly reasonable price. They looked good and have worked great for my 650L. I would recommend him or RSW as Steve (mcma 111) recommended. I think it was a good addition and help to keep you from being launched in different direction if you hit a rock or a big rut.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #49553
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
You didn't put the front tire against a tree and twist it back???

Thats why I'm going with USD's. I'm sick of the front end being tweaked.

By the time the USD fork swap is done it will have cost me $375.00 for the parts. Subtract the stock forks and wheel that I sold for $200.00. It makes it a very cost effective upgrade for me.

You're a very convincing salesman Mental I had a sweet set of trick USD's on my xr500r, I have to admit they handled falls WAY better than the conventionals on my xrl, but honestly for my style of riding, they didn't seem to handle any better for me than the revalved/resprung conventionals on my xrl. They were set up for very aggressive fast off-roading tho, and weren't as forgiving as my xrl's. I'm sure that could be tuned out, plus the right USD's would be a great upgrade , honestly I just don't want the hassle and expense of the upgrade right now.....I gots to spread my money between 4 bikes

Honestly I'll prolly end up going that route anyway tho I suppose.....it seems like I always do

I was kinda sore myself after hitting the ice...I tried to tweak my front end back as best I could without getting out the tools, and spend time freezing and sore in the dark dicking with the bike....but after she didn't want to straighten up easy-like, I said screw it and headed home to a warm house, warm shower and some pain relievers
Not the first time I've ridden a crooked bike home, and won't be the last

Maybe a fork brace will help some I hope?.......fingers crossed
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #49554
Kilroy_1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I've got parts in the mail and it feels like early Christmas! Tire, chain, and front sprocket. Bought a jacket and pants on Craigslist as well for a deal too good to pass up.

I also installed the Tusk grip heaters that were on sale a while back. I wired it up using a relay tapped into the key switch so when I leave the bike I don't accidentally drain the battery. I also fused it at the battery. I used two layers of 1" heat shrink tubing under the left grip for "insulation." The included switch felt cheap so I got a heavy duty on-off-on switch to replace it. Instead of using the giant resistor for low power, I used a flasher. It all works and keeps my hands nicely toasted.

Bad news though, when I was wiring up the grip heaters I noticed that the frame under the seat was tweaked a bit. I had an encounter with a deer a few months ago, and I assumed that just the bolt on subframe was bent. It's not tweaked much, but the paint cracked and you can see it.
Kilroy_1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #49555
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Marko (therealbigman) had some Fork Braces Summers Racing I think that he was selling for a fairly reasonable price. They looked good and have worked great for my 650L. I would recommend him or RSW as Steve (mcma 111) recommended. I think it was a good addition and help to keep you from being launched in different direction if you hit a rock or a big rut.

Good Luck in your search.

Biggie Rules!
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #49556
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
For the collective, anyone with USD's not like them? I'm getting ready to either have my suspension gone through and set up by a shop out here, or go with the USD set up. The cost is about the same. The shop leaned towards the stock set up, so now I am even more perplexed any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Secondary, I am looking for riders in my area, San Fernando valley to ride with. I'm a nOOb, and not sure where to go out here, and really think it might be prudent to travel with others during the learning curve.

And a big get well soon to sub zero.
The stock set-up can be much improved. That said I went with USDs and they transformed the handling of my bike. I also did it because it's not that expensive to do. I made money when I did it. They are sweet if you like to go fast. The only area conventional forks better them is in having less stiction. Rocks hounds like conventional (female slider) forks.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #49557
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I know what you mean! I was on a unimproved dirt road the other day with a buddy of mine that was covered in mud and wet leaves, and I don't know how I kept from dumping the bike.

I'm 5'10"-ish and 150 pounds. My bike has an old White Bros lowering link on it and the forks are slid up in the triples a bit. I can get the balls of both feet on the ground, but it would sure be nice to flat foot it on both sides sometimes. I havn't messed with my rear sag at all either.

I noticed that my seat has a lot of foam, so I'm looking at possibly modifying the seat so it is shorter, but with better quality foam to maintain comfort.
Cutting the seat down is the best solution for lowering if you only need a little lowering. I had James Renazco make me a 1" lower seat. I'm 5'8" and when I get in the nasty stuff I often stand so I can better balance, move my body and, hopefully, not have to stab. There's a reason why David Knight is good at the killer technical stuff-he's a beast! Hell, I can't flay foot an 80cc MXer, but I do fine on the big pig.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #49558
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Got to meet my first L inmate face-to-face this morning. Passed on an Acerbis fender to Referjohn. Hopefully, I'll get to meet and ride with more and more of you in the coming years.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #49559
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Keep in mind the xrl is a TALL bike that carries its fuel load high, that 5.8 tank is going to make your bike feel ungodly top-heavy. I'm running an IMS 4.7 gallon according to the previous owner, and even with my bike professionally lowered/resprung/revalved, and me being 6'3", my bike is still too tall and top heavy with the big tank on it. I would NEVER put a 5.8 on unless I was going on an intercontinental adventure ride. You'll never need that much fuel, and the weight and size destroys the handling and fun factor of the xrl off road.
Might as well just pick up a KLR instead
My next tank will be a 4 gallon......and thats what I would recommend for you as well
Sierra Thumper, I have a 4.0 gal clark tank. I traded a 5.8 tank for it last year. When I traded for the tank I was told it was 4.7 But it wasn't. Maybe you would like to trade your 4.7gal for my 4.0gal tank? We could just pay for shipping for our own tanks. Pm if you want to trade. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #49560
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
The stock set-up can be much improved. That said I went with USDs and they transformed the handling of my bike. I also did it because it's not that expensive to do. I made money when I did it. They are sweet if you like to go fast. The only area conventional forks better them is in having less stiction. Rocks hounds like conventional (female slider) forks.
Thanks mendoteach. One reason I am leaning toward the USD set up is that I really did not get this bike to rock crawl, it's a little tall and heavy. And while I am certainly no racer, I do like to run the wider trails and fire roads fairly quick, at least for me. I know the stock set up,modified, has run the baja many times, just seems that the new shocks may have some favorable characteristic . One concern was the ergonomics, primarily rake, being other than stock might cause some adverse steering. Also I am running the Acerbis tank, and want to make sure there is clearance for them, and that the steering stops will work. It does sound like rsw has worked this out for the most part, but it is still a rather pricy chance.