ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #6316
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
Jeez, Christian. You're doing an awesome job of "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!"
On a side note, I doubt if a rich pilot was preventing you from starting. Lean is usually the problem! I'm most of the way through sorting my FCR, so I'm in a carbie frame of mind right now.
ON THAT NOTE..........................

wtf is going on now

so I went to test ride my oem carb...

first WOT run with plug already in the bike top speed 84mph. The plug came out looking perfect though nice and light tan

during ride down to the flats where I test my bike at sea level I notice my idle has a tendency to hang so Im thinking still lean and I take not of this

after first wot run I decide to adjust idle too...out a half turn so Im at 2 turns out...bike restarts nicely twice this way

second WOT run I decide to put the new dpr8 plug in for a real plug chop this with the 152 main. and HOLY SHIT IS IT WHITE! top speed 90mph only ran wot for a mile.

I could not pull top speed or 5th to its max potential, I noticed this before too on the old plug so great.felt like I was yanking on the throttle and it struggled.

I have my pack of jets ready to go, plop in a 155ab jet aka precision engineering jet and wham another pass for a mile or so and my top speed is now 93mph

ok we are getting somewhere...

then I restart the bike and all is good..the bike restarts nicely and no kickback and there is no lean cough and die issue either so I finally decide to do ONE last WOT plug chop

for almost 45 seconds...nice and long at full speed

my top speed is no 98mph same as the mikuni

I look at the plug and is has some chocolate colour to it....just on the strap...finally some color so I say well this is good enough and start the ride back up the hill to my house

I detour on some dirt and ride with great fun about 30 minutes...

I notice at this time that the bike responds and feels great really good acceleration no flats spots and really revvy...

so I come back home all happy and cheerful and check the oil

in order to do this I let the bike idle down for a minute or so and let it sit upright while it idles...

oil is at full so great....check that off the list

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

HERE COMES THE KICK TO THE BALLS

I take out the plug for a final looksy just to confirm my seat of the pants jetting and plug chopping and what do I find

A BLACK FUCKIN sooty mess of a new plug...........
so



now what peeps?

did the minute long idle do this and why would half a turn out do this

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

is my midrange way fat(where I rode most of the 30minute hill ride up the mountain at) obviously not WOT

to take notice is that my needle is in the second to leanest clip

so one more to go and Im all lean

that just cant be right can it?

please save me folks!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #6317
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,993
Christian,

If this is as good as it has run and you can restart it when warm or hot just put the plug back in it and RIDE THE FRIGGIN THING.

The XR600 has a big ass lump of a pump as a motor. Unless you have a Honda service truck and a factory trained tech standing by for the love of god just call it good and stop the madness.

Please.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #6318
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
fine

later dudes
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #6319
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Cartridge Forks

As it says people, cartridge forks, how easy is it to rebuild them?
Or leave it to the experts???


.
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #6320
rogervize
Adventurer
 
rogervize's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 63
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
fine

later dudes
Christian ..I think you are very funny. Wish I could ride like that
PS..Keep up the good work!
__________________
Melbourne OZ..'92 XR600R '74 Yam TY250
rogervize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #6321
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer
 
duxrneet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Christian,

If this is as good as it has run and you can restart it when warm or hot just put the plug back in it and RIDE THE FRIGGIN THING.

The XR600 has a big ass lump of a pump as a motor. Unless you have a Honda service truck and a factory trained tech standing by for the love of god just call it good and stop the madness.

Please.
I agree!!! Or you could buy a wideband O2 sensor and weld in a sensor bung....
__________________
Current: 2004 CBR600F4i, 2001 KTM 520EXC - Past: 1995 XR600R, 1993 DR350 (Dirt Model), 1987 CBR600F
duxrneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #6322
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
fine

later dudes

Christian,

I did not intend to offend you in any way bud.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #6323
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
ON THAT NOTE..........................

wtf is going on now

so I went to test ride my oem carb...

first WOT run with plug already in the bike top speed 84mph. The plug came out looking perfect though nice and light tan

during ride down to the flats where I test my bike at sea level I notice my idle has a tendency to hang so Im thinking still lean and I take not of this

after first wot run I decide to adjust idle too...out a half turn so Im at 2 turns out...bike restarts nicely twice this way

second WOT run I decide to put the new dpr8 plug in for a real plug chop this with the 152 main. and HOLY SHIT IS IT WHITE! top speed 90mph only ran wot for a mile.

I could not pull top speed or 5th to its max potential, I noticed this before too on the old plug so great.felt like I was yanking on the throttle and it struggled.

I have my pack of jets ready to go, plop in a 155ab jet aka precision engineering jet and wham another pass for a mile or so and my top speed is now 93mph

ok we are getting somewhere...

then I restart the bike and all is good..the bike restarts nicely and no kickback and there is no lean cough and die issue either so I finally decide to do ONE last WOT plug chop

for almost 45 seconds...nice and long at full speed

my top speed is no 98mph same as the mikuni

I look at the plug and is has some chocolate colour to it....just on the strap...finally some color so I say well this is good enough and start the ride back up the hill to my house

I detour on some dirt and ride with great fun about 30 minutes...

I notice at this time that the bike responds and feels great really good acceleration no flats spots and really revvy...

so I come back home all happy and cheerful and check the oil

in order to do this I let the bike idle down for a minute or so and let it sit upright while it idles...

oil is at full so great....check that off the list

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

HERE COMES THE KICK TO THE BALLS

I take out the plug for a final looksy just to confirm my seat of the pants jetting and plug chopping and what do I find

A BLACK FUCKIN sooty mess of a new plug...........
so



now what peeps?

did the minute long idle do this and why would half a turn out do this

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

is my midrange way fat(where I rode most of the 30minute hill ride up the mountain at) obviously not WOT

to take notice is that my needle is in the second to leanest clip

so one more to go and Im all lean

that just cant be right can it?

please save me folks!

Calm down....

Here are some random thoughts that I'll try to make understandable...

It's all about Suck- Squeeze - Bag - Blow and how the engines brain(camshaft) is effecting it.


From my experences a larger cam makes jetting interesting.

At idle the increase in duration and overlap tends to reduce A/F charge velocity. This decreases the vacuum signal at the carbs venturi at idle. The increased overlap seems to cause the engine prefer a slighty richer A/F charge to run real smooth at idle. The decreased vacuum signal requires a larger pilot jet to be used to offset it. Both are reasons why larger primary jets appear to be needed with the larger cams. The longer intake/exhaust duration shortens the power stroke and compression stroke duration. Basically your engine no longer idles as efficiently, it runs better slighty richer and needs a larger jet to offset the lower vacuum signal/air speed. That's why the idle is slightly rougher. The increased overlap can also allow some A/F mixture to excape at idle making plug readings fun...

At WOT the larger camshaft flows more air at higher rpms increasing the vacuum signal/air speed which will require a smaller main jet to offset the increased suction at the carb venturi. This is because the larger camshaft increases the engine efficiency as the rpm's increase. At least WOT plug chops aren't harder to read.

If you saw a WOT air fuel ratio chart on your bike it would probably start at about 13.5 at low rpm and drop to 12.5 or so after it comes on the cam sweet spot with the right jet.

Don't concentrate on plug chops, Your a$$-o meter is an important tool too.

The needle jet has the hardest job of all. It has to deal with everything in the middle... It is a hard to get a needle spot on. The bigger the cam the harder it is. It runs rich at some rpm/load combos and lean at others. I try to tune it slightly rich when it's "on the cam". I found it to helps keep the A/F mixture from going too lean at lower rpm/high load conditions. The profile of the needle makes the difference.

I say lower that needle any go take an a$$-o-meter reading...

When you start your pig do you kick it fully to the bottom and hold it there until it starts or stops spinning before raising your leg??? Thats how I avoid kickback. I had issues with kickback until I started to do that.

Thats all for now... I hate typing, it hurts...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #6324
2manyrides
shifty charactor
 
2manyrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Citrus Heights Ca.
Oddometer: 1,583
the xr600r plated ride 11/25/12

There may still be a few xr600r nuts in this thread that enjoy the postings of my adventures.
Here's another...
This one's about the ride, the trip, the glory of it all...
That said there's no real action of bikes' motors pegging or wheels spinning...
Just another video of the shots that I took when I got the camera out.
Sure, there was a lot more to it...
Here's what ya get.



Trailrech info;
7:18-time spent away from the truck
4:32-time spent with a motor running
273 degrees-hotest engine got-(ran at 193 durning the hightailing it back)
6,010-max rev's per minute
69.5-maximum MPH
121.5 miles-finger numbing, butt burning, bike manuvering, tire ghooshing fun...

Ride report;
Once again crossed all 3 forks of the yuba river.

Hey all...
I'm sure everyone is wondering how the ride went...
It was GREAT! I started out before the sun was up,
(sky beginning to change to blue), then got back after it was dark,
(loading bike on trailer in the dark)

You might think that's a long day, but truth is the sun shines only for a short time...
I spent the whole day absorbing it's rays as much as possable.

After final discussion about who, where and when, the plan was to drive to wavey's and transfer my bike from the trailer to his pick-up bed.
Did that, and headed out with a quick on/off for gas at the Valero.

Cruised up to G/V via 80/174 and entered the safeway parking lot where we were to meet mysticrick. Our 4th rider wasn't gonna make it so, a crew of 3 started gearing up for the fun ride ahead.

We avoided the highway by taking backroads through N/C and onto coyote street. Met up with N Bloomfeild road and went down to Edwards. No stopping there as it's dam cold
(frost on the bridge) and the yuba was in the shade.
But at the top of the mountain we refreshed at a sunny spot.

Continuing on to the historic town of N Bloomfeild we paused again in order to take advantage of the scenic surroundings for a photo opp.

Again refreshed we proceeded north and up hill till we hit cruzon grade and the saddle.
There it was back onto dirt again and down into the shady zones.
Again I followed my intuition which always seems to lead me into someones drive way for what is most likely a pot farm.
Never seen so many broken down cars and trash.
Later I heard there was a fellow hollering at us as we passed right through, not stopping.
Good thing I've done this before as I knew exactly how to get us right out of there.
So out on the side ridge heading east we proceeded to take a particular route more than once.
I mean, we came to the same place we had already been!
But me knowing that, we went round again anyway cause it was a blast.

Had another stop in the middle of no-where and refreshed.
It's warming up a bit now and were heading for german bar.
This is the reverse direction than what mysticrick likes, but it's my "normal"
from all the years spent up at the shed.
The road down to german bar is a bit tattered and rocky. It's steep yes.
Dumps ya out right by the bridge over the middle fork of the yuba river.
I had told myself that if it was sunny down there,
then this would be the place for an extended stop.
It was...we did...

mysticrick has a running thing going to visit the owners of the alleghany bar/store and this was to be our next destination.
Since the old days at the shed, I had only visited alleghany rarely due to my ohv only status.
Thus I defered to mysticrick's guidance througth the maze of top-of-the-hill roads.
We arrived there and refreshed up a bit.
The wood stove was cooking away inside and things were cozy for sure!

Time to look at the map cause I had very lofty plans
which included trying a never before riden trail called the fiddle creek trail.
The map helped us get out of town and I counted how many roads before the next turn.
Yet, still relying on mysticricks recollection of the area,
we went down a wrong road for a mile or so thinking it was "galloway".
(We don't need no stinking signs!)
Indeed, I rely on the looks of the road's direction, and it's bends to figure which is right. Yep, the next one down was galloway.
Another very steep run, shortest way possable to get down to downievile from henness pass road.
Most people perfer to go up this. Again I sent us down.
I was eventualy waved ahead to do the front as there were no more turns to take.
Was having a fine time in 2nd and 3rd until an ill fated manuver
sent me skidding straight to a stop on one of those out of control truck stopping type berms.
Still no trouble though, as davey arrived to see that indeed I made a boo boo...

Still more mountain to go down, then right into a neigborhood in downivile.
A stop there for mystic to wash his hands...
...right back on the bikes we went south on 49 for less than a mile,
headed right back onto dirt and the saddleback road.
This being another fun curvy run I think we all enjoyed,
because whether I was taking it easy or gassing it,
those guys were always right on my tail.
At the top on the saddle there's an itersection with signs pointing to
the saddleback lookout, poker flat, chimney rock ect...
...but we were on a loop and a mission to discover the fiddle creek trail.
Unfortunately we had been biting off more than we could chew...
I mean here we are absorbing sunshine, yet fully realizing that time is short.

Back on down road 25 is a mellow "down hill ridge run".
Through the eureka diggings and over bald top.
We found the exact road to turn on and took it.
A wonderful windy round canyon thing that was almost level all the way,
so was great for powerslides and gassing it.
Then we came to an intersection which required a map check,
and yep, right here we should be at 27 and 25/8
Yes...this is it, the sun is in the high trees now, the shade
and cold are coming on fast.

It was decided right there... no time to loose.
No time to do the fiddle creek trail.
It was time to just continue on down to highway 49
and hightail it back to the truck.
Although I hate to do it to the knobs, it was the best thing, all there agreed.
Thoughout the day it was rays of sun on top,
but the canyons were dark and dank.
Down through Cal-Ida and a last check with thumbs up from all...lets do this!
Hit 49 and we did the 55 limit when ever possable,
but I was extra careful in the turns because it's "slippey when wet or frosty"!
A numbing/butt burning experiance...
We made it back to the trucks and loaded up without an incident.
In fact, I never even fell over! LOL...(bad habit lately)
Damp roads of gushy mud sometimes. Most of it was perfect.
Not may people were out on this Sunday. Absolutely no dust!
Most of all...this was the best conditions you could ask for.
I had suited up at home and disrobed dirt gear back at home as well.
I had long johns on but never let on that I did...
...I don't know how those guys handled it. BUUURRRR
My fingers got cold while they sat in the summer riding gloves,
on the grips, gliding along in an ice box with a windchill factor.

The area of roads 27, and 25 where the fiddle creek trail is deserves a good deal more exploration.
We passed many, many signs begging the world to share the road with offroad hotdoggers.
(share the road)
The area is low enough to get into and use when the regular dirt riding "highcontry" is still snowed in for months!
The little extra drive beyond going to say, foresthill/georgetown should be worth it in newness, underpopulated, varying degrees of riding difficulty available to scratch out in.
Puts it high on a list for return trips.
I'm 22manyrides...and
That's the way it was!!!
__________________
too many...
I have completely lost count

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #6325
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Calm down....

Here are some random thoughts that I'll try to make understandable...

It's all about Suck- Squeeze - Bag - Blow and how the engines brain(camshaft) is effecting it.


From my experences a larger cam makes jetting interesting.

At idle the increase in duration and overlap tends to reduce A/F charge velocity. This decreases the vacuum signal at the carbs venturi at idle. The increased overlap seems to cause the engine prefer a slighty richer A/F charge to run real smooth at idle. The decreased vacuum signal requires a larger pilot jet to be used to offset it. Both are reasons why larger primary jets appear to be needed with the larger cams. The longer intake/exhaust duration shortens the power stroke and compression stroke duration. Basically your engine no longer idles as efficiently, it runs better slighty richer and needs a larger jet to offset the lower vacuum signal/air speed. That's why the idle is slightly rougher. The increased overlap can also allow some A/F mixture to excape at idle making plug readings fun...

At WOT the larger camshaft flows more air at higher rpms increasing the vacuum signal/air speed which will require a smaller main jet to offset the increased suction at the carb venturi. This is because the larger camshaft increases the engine efficiency as the rpm's increase. At least WOT plug chops aren't harder to read.

If you saw a WOT air fuel ratio chart on your bike it would probably start at about 13.5 at low rpm and drop to 12.5 or so after it comes on the cam sweet spot with the right jet.

Don't concentrate on plug chops, Your a$$-o meter is an important tool too.

The needle jet has the hardest job of all. It has to deal with everything in the middle... It is a hard to get a needle spot on. The bigger the cam the harder it is. It runs rich at some rpm/load combos and lean at others. I try to tune it slightly rich when it's "on the cam". I found it to helps keep the A/F mixture from going too lean at lower rpm/high load conditions. The profile of the needle makes the difference.

I say lower that needle any go take an a$$-o-meter reading...

When you start your pig do you kick it fully to the bottom and hold it there until it starts or stops spinning before raising your leg??? Thats how I avoid kickback. I had issues with kickback until I started to do that.

Thats all for now... I hate typing, it hurts...

^^^^^^THIS!

is gold to me...so thanks so much

lastly I wasnt offended so dont think this guys! just peeved Im always ocding on the damn instead of riding it in any case Im glad I have all the help from you tuning experts and overall great mechanics...

I will take your advice bud and see what happens...it will only take a little more tweaking to get this thing kicking ass!

sorry for the longwindidness yet again

cheers dudes!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6326
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Christian,

I did not intend to offend you in any way bud.
thanks boss Im ok! jajajaja not offended in any way...although I did think to myself damn steve thanks for NOTHING! jajajajajaja

kidding

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #6327
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,078
Quick question.....What size are the forks on my 88 XR600? I'm thinking 41mm, is that right?
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #6328
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Toukley NSW Australia
Oddometer: 433
Pretty sure theyre 43mm.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #6329
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Pretty sure theyre 43mm.
YUP, I was just surfing the magic box and came across that # as well I knew it was close to 41....
Thanks
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #6330
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Aransas Pass, Texas ( near Corpus)
Oddometer: 219
if i decided to buy a new bike.... would i enjoy the crf250l. or a new xr650l more? or should i wait a year or two and see if honda puts out any new bigger bike. like a crf 450l or a crf 650l?? i dont think a crf250l has the suspension I
use to on a xr600r. :s
__________________
1994 XR600R dual sport
kirbi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014