Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Not quite. In nine months I have had two bikes. The Sertao was in the shop for the better half of my WI summer (8 weeks). Not a happy BMW camper still. Still no way to compare the two. For the $1,000 it would cost to upgrade the forks, one could have a non ABS Tiger. No comparison between the two.

BMW was clueless and unwilling to put any sense of urgency behind the starting issue. Can't blame the dealer. They came through for me.
I agree its kind of a stupid comparison.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I love this line in reference to the Sertao's fork tubes:

"Last time you saw sticks like these, they were marked 'POGO' on the shelves of Toys-R-Us."

Now here they are reviewing the Tiger.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
The serato is a complete POS. Just take it off the stand, it is more top heavy then either the BMW or Triumph 800s. If you are interested in a cheaper 650 buy the new Husky 650 BMW worked over. Still too heavy for what it is but I doubt there is a huge piece of lead mounted at the highest point of the bike and it has a suspension from this century. BMW should be ashamed by the Serato.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #34
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
The serato is a complete POS. Just take it off the stand, it is more top heavy then either the BMW or Triumph 800s. If you are interested in a cheaper 650 buy the new Husky 650 BMW worked over. Still too heavy for what it is but I doubt there is a huge piece of lead mounted at the highest point of the bike and it has a suspension from this century. BMW should be ashamed by the Serato.
I rode my Dakar -- nearly identical to a Sertao -- to the Triumph dealer and demoed a Triumph Tiger XC. The Triumph was faster but my Dakar feels more nimble. The fuel tank is under the seat, not top heavy at all.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #35
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I rode my Dakar -- nearly identical to a Sertao -- to the Triumph dealer and demoed a Triumph Tiger XC. The Triumph was faster but my Dakar feels more nimble. The fuel tank is under the seat, not top heavy at all.
Dakar does not at all equal the Sertao. The quality has certainly decreased.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #36
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Dakar = Sertao

The Dakar and Sertao are essentially the same bike. A little less fuel capacity on the Sertao. The folks I've seen choose the 650 single over bikes like the Tiger XC or F800 GS do so for reasons like more manageable power delivery, particularly off road, and fuel costs. The Sertao will routinely get 65+ MPG, and will run on Regular fuel. It is also less intimidating to ride than bigger and heavier Adventure Tourers. And as Singles go, it's smooth. To some, that might be like saying, "For a midget, you're pretty tall." But I don't think this is a stupid comparison. The buyer has to be really honest with himself about what kind of riding he's really going to do. If it's commuting with the occasional Fire Road or Jeep Trail, then the Sertao might be the best option. If it's more highway, higher speed, or two-up riding, then the 800 cc twins might be better. But there is definitely a market for the Sertao. Public outcry brought the BMW single back after they killed it in in 2007.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Your comparison choices are not in the same range unless your chaseing a pricepoint. A better comparrison would have been a BMW F800GS (TWIN) to the Triumph 800xc (Triple). If looking for singles then the BMW Sertao/Dakar would be better compared to the Husqvarna 650 Terra (single and same BMW engine w/more HP) and dare I say a KLR.

The Twin/Tripples will roar on-road but feel a bit heavier off. BMW carries it's weight low (under seat) and Triumph higher (standard). Suspensions on all will really just suck and need some coin invested over time.

To answer your questions on the Sertao:

What, if any, earlier BMW model year has similar mechanical specs vs. the Sertao? The Sertao IS a BMW Dakar w/smaller tank, updated plastics and lighting. You can get one for $4000-$7000 used.

What, if any, mods exist to coax a little more power out of the Sertao? Same as Dakar: Drop gearing, open up air box, upgrade suspension springs/emulators or do a USD fork conversion. Hell, you can do a full yamaha front end swap out, upgrade to a 320mm SM rotor and have a topmount for the ignition built for all under a grand. $1500 total for a completely new front and rear end. This can be done on the Dakar or Sertao.

I have two Dakars and have ridden all the above. I love my Dakars but have lowered the gearing and reworked the suspensions. Unless BMW really takes the Sertao seriously I think I'll move up to the 800GS or Triumph 800XC. I love both on road and can grow with it off. That Triumph triple is just plain sexy. Suspensions can always be bought.

That said, for comuting and fire roads I would recommend looking at the Husqvarna Terra 650. It's what the Sertao should have been and cheaper.

nomad5326 screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 10:29 PM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #38
MadVenTur7
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I just traded a 2012 Sertao for a leftover 2012 Tiger 800XC. I was test-riding the Tiger for my father in law, and was impressed with the power delivery, the engine, comfort and just the overall experience. I didn't dislike my Sertao, but for what I intend to do with the bike (~70% commuting/road, 30% dirt/fire/double-track), the 800XC fit the bill better.
MadVenTur7 is offline   Reply With Quote