User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #7996
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
pricing for an 2004

Hi well today I say a xt225 for sale and deceided I need it to see it (at least) and ask a couple of questions. I live in Baja and this bike is not sell in Mexico, and as any one will tell, I want what I can't have!

So I got a price quote for $2,400 USD but it has Californian plates, so that means another 600-1000 so very expensive to have legally in the country (of course nobody care if I just slap my plate from my any other bike).

Here is my question specially for people from the USA from a state that has no real winter (San Diego, LA from California, Arizona?, Florida) How much would a XT225 sell for? I know it all depends on many conditions, but from a very fast left side view the bike said TOO EXPENSIVE! but an good maintained bike with average miles, how much?

And the second question, (for all) how long will the engine last? (assuming good care) This one had almost 50,000 miles! and I know this is not much for a GS1200 but this is a small engine, that was used in the US so maybe some hwy/interstate miles (at high speeds), So I think this was not care for very nicely, it had a bent level, bent front fender, that is all I saw WITHOUT TAKING MY HELMET OFF AND NO GLASSES, so I am sure if I look I will see more thing. THe sales man was a SALES person so he gave me all the crap, "perfect conditions" "care for by my son in law"

This model is in my list of bikes I will like to have, so I was a little big sad.

Thanks for your time

Damasovi
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #7997
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Hi well today I say a xt225 for sale and deceided I need it to see it (at least) and ask a couple of questions. I live in Baja and this bike is not sell in Mexico, and as any one will tell, I want what I can't have!

So I got a price quote for $2,400 USD but it has Californian plates, so that means another 600-1000 so very expensive to have legally in the country (of course nobody care if I just slap my plate from my any other bike).

And the second question, (for all) how long will the engine last? (assuming good care) This one had almost 50,000 miles!
Walk away from that salesman! You should be able to find a clean XT225 with less than 3000 miles for less than $2000. Easily. To compare, I bought mine (a 2003 model, with 1700 miles) for $1700 in Southern California two years ago. They last pretty well, but at 50,000 miles it's VERY used. Typically, a top end will be needed at the 18,000 to 20,000 mile range.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #7998
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
I understanding wanting what you cannot have, but there a some nice bikes they sell there that never made it here. I think the NX4 or XR250 are good choices. Did Honda sell the Bros in a 250? Yamaha's XTZ250 looks like a fine choice also.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #7999
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

Here is my question specially for people from the USA from a state that has no real winter (San Diego, LA from California, Arizona?, Florida) How much would a XT225 sell for?
I live in Tucson, AZ. Bought a 2003 XT one year ago - good shape - no problems, about 3000 miles on it, for $1450.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #8000
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Snorkel Removal

Hey everyone, I've had my XT for about 6 months now and I absolutely LOVE it!
I'm looking to get a little more power out of it? So if I only removed the part of the snorkel on the inside of the airbox would I still have to re-jet it? Everything on the bike is completely stock right now. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Dirt2Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #8001
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:

Here is my question specially for people from the USA from a state that has no real winter (San Diego, LA from California, Arizona?, Florida) How much would a XT225 sell for? I know it all depends on many conditions, but from a very fast left side view the bike said ThumanOO EXPENSIVE! but an good maintained bike with average miles, how much?

And the second question, (for all) how long will the engine last? (assuming good care) This one had almost 50,000 miles! and I know this is not much for a GS1200 but this is a small engine, that was used in the US so maybe some hwy/interstate miles (at high speeds), So I think this was not care for very nicely, it had a bent level, bent front fender, that is all I saw WITHOUT TAKING MY HELMET OFF AND NO GLASSES, so I am sure if I look I will see more thing. THe sales man was a SALES person so he gave me all the crap, "perfect conditions" "care for by my son in law"

This model is in my list of bikes I will like to have, so I was a little big sad.

Thanks for your time

Damasovi
The XT225 was common in Mexico before the Chinese bike invasion. It was even a common law enforcement bike.
I would not buy one with 50k miles. Under 10k miles is common. Good ones can be found for $2000.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #8002
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Walk away from that salesman! You should be able to find a clean XT225 with less than 3000 miles for less than $2000. Easily. To compare, I bought mine (a 2003 model, with 1700 miles) for $1700 in Southern California two years ago. They last pretty well, but at 50,000 miles it's VERY used. Typically, a top end will be needed at the 18,000 to 20,000 mile range.
Mine is less than 3 years old, just passed 59,000 miles and had no engine work what so ever.

My previous bike was a 2005 XT250 Serow and that passed 75,000 miles in 3.5 years, had no engine work done, before being written off in a crash.

So with proper use and regular oil changes, these bikes will do the miles.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #8003
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman View Post
Mine is less than 3 years old, just passed 59,000 miles and had no engine work what so ever.

My previous bike was a 2005 XT250 Serow and that passed 75,000 miles in 3.5 years, had no engine work done, before being written off in a crash.

So with proper use and regular oil changes, these bikes will do the miles.
Wow, that's impressive. Thanks for changing my expectations!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #8004
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Hello,

Bought,
2007 with 800 miles LIKE NEW in Socal $2,000 in 2009
2006 with 4100 miles in Socal used properly $1300 in 2011

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #8005
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
I live in San Diego and would sell you mine with less then 4000 miles on it for that price... Heck I will find five more to sell you at that price! No I am not seriously lookign to sell but that is a crazy price.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #8006
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Here's a low miles XT250 for $2900 in San Diego...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3430389760.html

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #8007
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Hey everyone, I've had my XT for about 6 months now and I absolutely LOVE it!
I'm looking to get a little more power out of it? So if I only removed the part of the snorkel on the inside of the airbox would I still have to re-jet it? Everything on the bike is completely stock right now. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
dont do it. it'll just be louder and leaner , and your too lean already from the factory.

jetting should be your first priority, but if you bent on doing something quick and easy then the z1 mod might be okay without rejet...not sure. Like i said, jetting needs fixed first.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #8008
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
I'm interested in running the bigger piston in the iron liner. The thickness seems a bit marginal to me but would rather hear some real world input from someone who's done it.

Not a lot of all-out motors being built on this platform, but it never hurts to ask, no?

i've never seen a big bore 225 so would you mind keeping us updated or starting a thread when you do it? none on xt225.com i could find either.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #8009
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
i've never seen a big bore 225 so would you mind keeping us updated or starting a thread when you do it? none on xt225.com i could find either.
I believe Muniac and others have thoroughy thrashed some big bores, though I'm not sure of their build specifics.. Actually was hoping he'd chime in or check his messages as I can't seem to join the site.

I'm a TW guy. Same motor, same heads, same basic hardware but a bit more involved (case mouths, output shafts, etc.) in building ours, The TW motors still have all STEEL innards (oil pump gears, etc.) in some places where their cousins now have plastic which may be of interest to XT/TTR builders and vice-versa.

I'm building a "big, but mild" 6-speed motor for mine. We have some 250cc+ big bore strokers among us and at least one 74mm bore that is thus far only been dyno'd., None of them have yet seen the kind of miles I have planned.. Figgered some of you might have gone 72 or larger.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 09:20 AM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #8010
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
dont do it. it'll just be louder and leaner , and your too lean already from the factory.

jetting should be your first priority, but if you bent on doing something quick and easy then the z1 mod might be okay without rejet...not sure. Like i said, jetting needs fixed first.
I'm okay with the noise change.. :p
So there really isn't anything I can do without rejetting it..? I don't have the experince to do it. I mean, I can work on them and all but rejetting has been the only thing I've never had to do.

Dirt2Street screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 10:06 PM Reason: forgot a sentence
Dirt2Street is offline   Reply With Quote