Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
My garage already has a KX 125, V-Strom 1000, Electra-Glide and my kid's CR 125 and V-Star Custom.

What I'm looking for is to get rid if the pure dirt bikes and replace them with something that can be used for Trail Rides, D/s Rides and a few of the easier enduros.

I'm in Pennsylvania and would be riding in PA, NJ, NY and maybe north.

Of these, which would you choose and why:

CRF250L
KLX250S
WR250R
DR650
XR650L
DRZ400

5' 10" 200 pounds and a C rider. Not opposed to making modifications (bars, skid plate, pipe, FI Re-map ect.ect) but I'd really rather not spend thousands on suspension and engine upgrades. Once it get's into KTM or Husky territory I may as well just completely empty the college funds and corvette fund and go all the way.
WR250R was my recent choice .

There are volumes of information as to why here. These two great guys' webpages offer plenty of information and inspiration-
http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

What as I see as WR250R positives are the dualsport and adv travel characteristics of the WRR. The bike is smooth, dead reliable (except the fuel pump) and low-maintenance. I prefer to spend more of my free time riding instead of wrenching- I did ride 7k miles this past season, mostly dirt road and singletrack, four adventure trips across WA from May to Nov - on a Japanese dead-reliable dualsport- CRF230L! I got the WRR to have a smooth ride capable of long days on highway-speeds, specifically for the CDR next year!.

The dirt-riding is individual. Most of it depends on the rider, I have lived that on my little red bike leaving others behind that are much more acclaimed motos. I have in the past ridden eastern woods clay-mud and Piedmont sand, seems like different requirements. Small bikes have the rep and by my experience are great for the tight woods. Low end torque beats HP in the real tight and tricky steep stuff- have lived that.WRR lacks the low-end in the torque v HP relationship. It will be interesting next summer to try my WR250R on the climbs that I rode on my CRF230L where a WRR did not make it. The powerband will require a different riding approach, will be fun to see how I do with it.

Lots of good reasons to pick a WR250R!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 09:10 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
If you're not hauling big luggage ever, KLX250S. It's a bit lighter than the WRR.
Technically this is true, but .3 lbs isn't noticeable nor statistically significant.

WRR = 298 http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...5/1/specs.aspx

KLX250S - 297.7 lbs http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...id=698&scid=14

I have ridden both, and both are good bikes, but I chose the blue one.

jon_l screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:17 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
robert110411 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
On a KTM, Husky or Euro bike? 200 bucks for springs.

On a Japanese bike? 1k for re-valve, Race Tech Gold service, Ohlins or similar.

Suspension that comes stock on Japanese bikes are a disposable item.

Have any of you guys ridden Enduros in the snotty, tight, sugar-sand and wet NorthEast? No?

I have.

An XRL and DR650 is WAY too heavy for that terrain, no matter what mods you do.

A DRZ is passable with a lot of mods, but still suffers from being top-heavy and having shitty suspension like all other Japanese Bikes.

Regarding the 250s.....a 300lb, 250 4-stroke is not going to have the balls to blow through a foot of Jersey Sugar sand or climb the rocky, rooty off-camber climbs of PA.

There is a reason why so many guys in the NorthEast ride KTMs.

OP, attend an enduro or DS ride BEFORE buying and ask around THERE. DONT ask here, on ADV. Ask people who RIDE THE TERRAIN.

I've already ridden those areas on various different bikes, including the KX. In fact I had already considered ridding some of the closed course, start-control formats on the KX as well.

I would go for the smaller Husky or KTM two strokes but I'm also looking for something that requires little care and can be ridden on the street.

I'm looking hard at dumping both dirt bikes and getting TWO new D/S. That's why the price point is kind of an issue. If it was just one I'd go Husky.

Most of my ridding is about spending time with my kid to make up for all the time I missed because of this shitty job. Not so much about being fast. I was fast 25 years ago.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
I've already ridden those areas on various different bikes, including the KX. In fact I had already considered ridding some of the closed course, start-control formats on the KX as well.

I would go for the smaller Husky or KTM two strokes but I'm also looking for something that requires little care and can be ridden on the street.

I'm looking hard at dumping both dirt bikes and getting TWO new D/S. That's why the price point is kind of an issue. If it was just one I'd go Husky.

Most of my ridding is about spending time with my kid to make up for all the time I missed because of this shitty job. Not so much about being fast. I was fast 25 years ago.

I hear ya about going fast. I ride a hair above granny speed. But I'd rather spend 1k more up front and get a KTM that needs the exact same maintenance as a Japanese bike but is 100x the bike, much lighter, more power on demand, 100x the suspension, etc etc.

Again, don't take my word for it. You ride the NorthEast. What do you see people riding? Because every ride I went on when I lived in the Northeast was 50-70% KTM.....for a reason.

Japanese bikes are good, but they need to be built to a price point, and the the things they skimp on are critical parts like brakes, suspension, wheels, components like bars/pegs, etc. Most people dump thousands into their Japanese bikes to upgrade performance.

Additionally, there isn't a bike made that you can just ride and put away. Any bike will need attention....air filter change, chain lube, basic checks, etc. A KTM or Husky will need more valve checks, yes, but the same amt of oil changes if ridden in the same terrain. I don't believe for a second that Japanese bikes are built better or more reliable than Euro bikes. In fact, my direct experience is the exact opposite. Your mileage may vary.

Pretty small price to pay.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
im almost your height at 5'9'', i weigh less then you tho at around 150, i had a 250 dual sport, switched to a DRZ400, and will probably never go back to a 250 again, the DRZ has more power on the bottom and will get up in the higher 90's with stock gearing, its a great bike, not to mention theres tons of used ones for sale on cl, so a good deal is easy to find, good luck.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I wouldn't overlook the Honda CRF250L. Honda didn't have to splurge for engine development (the motor is lifted from a CBR250R) and it's made in Thailand so the bang for buck is very, very good. Having ridden it next to my WR250R, I prefer the ergonomics of my WR, and it makes far more power with the power programmer and modded exhaust. However, the CRF250L is definitely a more tranquil trail ride.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #22
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,295
I'm with OtG...find a good condition used KTM RFS in the displacement of your choice.

Of the choices you list, I would be flipping a coin to decide between a WRR and DRZ...but only if Huskies and KTM's didn't exist
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,001
If you ride long distances (60+ miles) to the events, ride singletrack, and then ride back WRR is the only way to go.

If you got a truck, just get the RFS.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
The DRZ 400 is the best all rounder there is. If you will be doing say 33% road, 33% trail rides 33% enduros or north east DS rides like Durty Dabbers or the Hancock NY quarry run, then a DRZ is the one to have.
Its basically an e-start xr 400 plus about 15-20 pounds.

A XR 650 L will also do it, that's what I used to ride, but it can get heavy at the end of the day, so can the DRZ to. I now ride a XR 400, which I find about perfect for what I do, ( east cost DS and trails) except no e start.

My next bike will be a KTM, so just spend the money now and get over it.
The fast guys and ex racers ride KTM's. While you don't need a KTM, all the perks that make them faster also make them easier to ride if you are a slow guy.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #25
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Get whatever bike you can get a screaming deal used on.
Great buys turn up from time to time, low mile bikes with upgrades.

I am not sure about used Euro bikes, they might be more risky, but the Japanese stuff is often very good used.

In the last 2 years, I got a 5000 mile upgraded DR650 for $1500.00.
And a 250 mile TW200 for $900.00.

Make it an easy choice and get whatever you can not pass up!

I think all the bikes mentioned are good, the idea is to have fun, and you do not need the best bike to have fun.

Plus, if you are not fast on a euro bike, you suck, if you are not fast on a Japanese dual sport, you have an excuse!
And if you ARE fast on a Japanese dual sport, you are bad ass.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
... While you don't need a ktm, all the perks that make them faster also make them easier to ride if you are a slow guy.
+1
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #27
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
At your size I'm hesitant to recommend the KLX. It's fine for me being 5'8 and 175. A friend is 6' and weighs 220 and his KLX is really too small for him. He wishes he'd gotten the DRZ400. The DRZ weighs the same as the KLX.

So... my recommendation is either the DRZ400 or the WR250R. The WR will need less suspension work and is a taller bike than the KLX so it'll fit you better. Also quite a bit peppier than the gutless 250 in the KLX.

Best bang for the buck is probably the DRZ, since you can buy a used one pretty cheap and dump a couple grand into it for accessories/suspension and come out well ahead of a new bike.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
After owning several of the bikes that you listed I'm now riding a CRF250L as my trail bike. Looks like you by the bikes you listed are just wanting a bike for off road and trail riding, not a performance bike, or a total road bike. The bikes you listed are all fine bikes and will get the job done, I think where the biggest difference will be if you want it to be a road bike to, in other words how much road riding are you going to want to do with it. I would say by the other bikes you own, you have the road riding covered. Riding long distances dual sport trips has changed for me over the years and riding 650's singles has now come down to the 250 size bikes. Personally I will not go back to carbureted bikes, they are going to be fuel injected, that's it. So I was left with either the Honda CRF250L or the Yamaha WR250R. Riders I ride with have done the Continental Divide, Forever West, Trans American Trail on their WR250R's, I will be the first of the group to ride Colorado for nine days on the CRF250L. My riding buddies that have ridden my Honda think it will do just fine and for them they liked it. I will be riding both off road (fire roads) and some paved, about 80% off pavement, so that means I will be running up around 60-65 tops MPH when on the paved roads, the bike can handle that just fine. I did a few upgrades to the Honda, handguards, skidplate, radiator guard, and a 13T countershaft sprocket (big difference, a must for off road), that's about it. You just have to ride one, then you decide, I did. It's the quietest bike I ever owned and at 68 I love it, no vibration either, smooth at any speed. Oh, by the way, I'm 6'1", 230, and 68 years old and the bike hauls my big A around.

John

trainman screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 08:47 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
All of your suggestions are good budget dualsports. If you want to move into the next century with EFI and wide ratio gears, the CRF250L and WR250R are probably your best bets; but a DRZ400 can be had for much cheaper than both of em. There are just so many bikes and parts available for them, they really are the best bottom dollar bargain.

If you are looking at doing any organized racing or hard riding in your area and terrain; dont sell the KX yet. You will find that all of the bikes you listed are going to fall short of your expectations when ridden at race pace on gnarly terrain.

Personally i have a DRZ400 & KTM200 and i wouldnt replace either for their intended purposes. I have switched roles and ridden them both outside their comfort zone and it gives you a much better appreciation for their applications. There is no substitute for a ~200# woods bike with instant power and a heavier & tamer dualsport for the street.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
CRF250L owner here. The bike was around $5,000 USD out the door and then I've added a few hundred in power modifications. I'm extremely happy with this bike. I love the EFI vs carb. It just starts...anytime anywhere and I dont have to fool with jetting or ratios. The bike lacks power, and is oddly geared from the factory but after throwing a fuel programmer and 13t front sprocket on it has really come alive. I would also change the seat and grips if I were going to do long distance riding, as the ergonomics are setup more towards dirt riding. I'd say the CRF250L is very much a dirt bike tweaked to work on the road. I still haven't spent as much money, with all my mods, as I would have if I bought the WR. Which brings me to my final point - seat height. I couldn't even get a foot down on the WR but the CRF is perfect.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote