ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #15871
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
Not that NYC is perfect but it is Disney Land compared to the 70's and 80's. Neighborhoods that scared people back then are trendy now. I used to hang out in Alphabet City and around Tompkins Square Park. It was a great area to hang out, drugs were readily available, no one who owned a bar or store cared how old you were, and you could do whatever you wanted. However you were going to get into fights sometimes, maybe someone might try and rob you, or you tried to rob someone, the line got blurred.
Or maybe go to The Deuce, yes the Disney Land of Times Square was a pretty shady place back then. And all these other "great" neighborhoods, were not so great back then.
Today I feel safe in most neighborhoods, and the ones that I do not feel safe in are not that scary. As for living here, the OP's daughter will be fine in any area she chooses. Just be smart and enjoy all the city has to offer.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #15872
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Funny, I used to live right there, on Houston between Thompson and Mcdougal. All Italian back then, almost nobody in my building spoke English. Great neighborhood, except if you get stabbed I guess.

Sounds like it's a good place to be if you get stabbed. Last few seconds of the story..

The Moth is awesome. Here's another favorite NY story... this one, funnier.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #15873
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Anyone installed grip heaters? I have this moose racing grip heater kit, I have Rescue Tape to insulate the left grip, and I have a relay.

My only questions...

Does anything (JB Weld, etc.) go between the bar and the grip heater?

Does anything go between the grip heater and the grip?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #15874
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Anyone installed grip heaters? I have this moose racing grip heater kit, I have Rescue Tape to insulate the left grip, and I have a relay.

My only questions...

Does anything (JB Weld, etc.) go between the bar and the grip heater?

Does anything go between the grip heater and the grip?

Thanks!
I never use anything for glue, just some hair spray. This way you can pull em if you ever need or want to for any reason.

No glue for the grip heaters, they should have a sticky backing to them, you stick them on your bar then slide the grip over, after putting some hairspray down on the bars.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #15875
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Great moth vids guys, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #15876
Smokar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
handlebar tail lights?

This is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever heard of brake lights that mount on your handlebars? I'm posting this here because I saw a guy on rt 23 in Wayne riding a r1200gs tonight (29 degrees, nice) with a pair of brake lights that looked like they were on his handlebars. The guy was pretty visible so assuming they're legal, I want em.

I googled and searched but couldnt find anything. Any idea who to ask or where to look? If nothing else, I'd just love to know what it was...
Smokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #15877
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokar View Post
...has anyone ever heard of brake lights that mount on your handlebars? ...
No, and it wouldn't make sense. Do you mean running lights? Were they pointed forward or aft?

There are a couple of threads about installing LEDs into hand guards to function as forward facing running lights. Essentially you find an led strip, drill holes through the handguards and affix w. silicone or epoxy.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #15878
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Pelican 1450. Slides on to the tail of a the style of KLR they made in 2001. Needs fasteners. NO SCRATCHES. How about $45?

Orange juice is for size reference onl

nick2ny screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 10:08 AM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #15879
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokar View Post
This is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever heard of brake lights that mount on your handlebars? I'm posting this here because I saw a guy on rt 23 in Wayne riding a r1200gs tonight (29 degrees, nice) with a pair of brake lights that looked like they were on his handlebars. The guy was pretty visible so assuming they're legal, I want em.

I googled and searched but couldnt find anything. Any idea who to ask or where to look? If nothing else, I'd just love to know what it was...
Bar end blinkers ? I've seen people use those arrow shaped red lights for mirrors on their bikes.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #15880
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,302
Some old Nortons and BMWs used to have bar end turn signals, with a yellow lens to the front, and red to the back. Looked like an aluminum and plastic ball at the end of the bar.

I guess something like that could be hooked up to act as a brake light instead.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #15881
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Pelican 1450. Slides on to the tail of a the style of KLR they made in 2001. Needs fasteners. NO SCRATCHES. How about $45?
Orange juice is for size reference onl
No pics.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #15882
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 942
Hey Gents and (FF's),

just want to drop in and say that I'm officially back in the city. No longer working downtown thanks to Sandy flooding my office building, but no worries there, as I wasn't anxious to get back to work anyway.

Will be working in midtown for the time being, 51st and 7th. Anyone park round here?

See y'all soon, and hope everyone is having good holidays so far
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #15883
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Hey Gents and (FF's),

just want to drop in and say that I'm officially back in the city. No longer working downtown thanks to Sandy flooding my office building, but no worries there, as I wasn't anxious to get back to work anyway.

Will be working in midtown for the time being, 51st and 7th. Anyone park round here?

See y'all soon, and hope everyone is having good holidays so far
Still RVing it? I was stopped at a light the other day in Greenpoint and someone turned across me and it reminded me of your RV.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #15884
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Welcome back G!!!

Sorry to hear about the office, we got lucky and sent all the water into the tunnels.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #15885
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Got tapped by a cabbie this morning...

....coming off the GWB onto the HHP ramp. Cabbie is in left lane, I'm in right lane next to him. Traffic in front of him slows down so he decides to pull into my lane, I try move to the shoulder and pull away.... he taps me on the rear left Pelican case.... bike goes left, then right, then left, I see the barriers in front of me and straighten her out. I get to a safe spot on the shoulder and pull over thinking the bastard was gonna stop.... yeah right! He keeps going and yells out the window "Sorry!". I get behind him and memorize his plate (1P97), follow him for a while and then finally calm down and realized how lucky I was not to have gone down. In the end I took off and he got off at 125th.

Be careful out there!!! I'm SOOOO glad I had those shitty cases!!!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote